Safe Inks For Parker 51

sandy101

Ok, so I have more Parker 51's than I would care to admit to.

So far, I've limited them to a diet of Quink as it cleans out of the P51 really easily.

However, Parker's royal blue has to be one of the most boring blue's on the planet - so I'm looking for an alternative.

I have plenty of Waterman Inks, as well as MB Royal Blue and Pelikan Brilliant Black and Turqouise, but I'd rather not put an ink in that proves to be difficult or have issues - such as Diamine's reds or greens.

So, does anyone have any recommendations of inks that they've used with their P51's without much trouble?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandy101

• Honeybadgers

• MarcS

• silverlifter

I have used Blue Quink mixed with Diamine Sargasso Sea Blue, like 70/30 with no issues, also Sheaffer's Skrip Blue with Quink black enough to darken the blue, also no issues. I have tried for a while MB Royale Blue (new bottles) and was fine.

+1 for Diamine inks (not the shimmer ones though!). I just took delivery of 4 lovely colours from their website in the 30ml size and received a nice sampler in a colour of my choice for spending just over £10!

Edit: specifically: Sapphire Blue, Damson, Antique Copper and Sepia.

Edited by Marlow

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

For aerometrics, I'd use anything that didn't have particles in it.

For vacumatics, I'd be a lot more circumspect and stick to known safe inks (Waterman, Quink, Aurora)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Aerometrics with the original sac material seem to be really resilient to most typical inks, based on what I've read, so most any ink will be fine. Since it takes a long time to flush a P51, I would echo avoiding shimmer inks in these pens.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

With vintage sac fillers it seems best to stick with Waterman, Sheaffer and Parker inks.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thank you everyone. I think I'll substitute the Quink Royal blue with MB royal blue which is a more vibrant blue.

I've also got a Waterman South Seas Blue to use when I go on holiday - my holiday postcard ink.

Pelikan or MB inks would do fine too.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

In my P-51's, I use anything that looks good. Not shimmer, of course. Just now, I have 51s with Asa-Gao, Penman Saphire, Monteverde Sapphire, Diamine Oxford Blue, and PR DC Supershow Blue.

The aero is easier to clean, and its pli-glass sac seems as if it will last forever. I'm a little more careful with 51 vacs.

The P-51 mastered some harsh inks, including Parker's P-51 inks.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

well most modern / aka contemporary dye based ink would be safe here ... those without shimmering and those that are specifically dye based ( not IG, not carbon, non pigment ) .. if you are after ease of cleaning , J. Herbin's range tend to do well on the regard , and saturated ink like Sailor's probably not the best

I'll admit that I have used some crazy inks in some of the 51 Aeros -- including purple inks in the Plummer. And at the moment, the Midnight Blue one is inked up with KWZI Chicago Blue LE.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Waterman, Herbin, diamine, pelikan, lamy, monteverde...

I'd be fine using any ink that wasn't supersaturated or shimmer or pigmented due to cleaning annoyance, but other than that, I'd only stay away from noodlers baystate inks and red inks in any pen with a sac. Everything else in my collection of over 200 inks is fine in my sac filled pens.

Red inks and baystates are fine, they'll just shorten the lifespan of the sac and require a refresh sooner. Shimmer and saturated inks are just annoying to clean.

The only times ink needs to SERIOUSLY be considered is when damage may occur that is irreparable. I don't put any hard to clean or acidic inks in my krones because restoring them will be a headache, so I want them to last as long as possible. But my eversharp flex nibs and other sac fillers get all sorts of ink.

For super safe inks, though, I don't think anyone has ever even whispered a complaint about J. Herbin's standard line damaging a pen in any way. The less saturated, the less flushing required, the less wear and tear. Herbin, 4001, and lamy are all modestly saturated, as are most birmingham colors, Namiki blue, and on the cheaper side, Hero carbon blue (a non pigmented, nice, modest blue)

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It shouldn't be.

My modern Parkers can't stand the stuff. It's to dry for them. Which is a shame, as Brilliant Black is - brilliant. Fortunately Cross can't get enough of the stuff.

Is Pelikan 4001 too dry an ink for the P51?

I use Pelikan 4001 brilliant black all the time in my 51s. But I don't have fine nibs. I don't know if that would make a difference. For me 4001 black works in every pen I use.

Most inks should work well, but here's a list of inks I'd avoid:

1. Any sheening or shimmering inks, since they tend to be very saturated

2. Inks with special features, like the noodler's polar inks

3. Inks that have a reputation for being high maintenance, like noodler's bsb, most iron gall inks, some Monteverde inks

4. Anything that's too old(10+ years old

Some recommendations for super safe inks would be:

1. Any of the pilot Iroshizuku inks

2. Waterman inks

3. Most Diamine inks

4. MontBlanc inks

Edited by RudraDev