The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Safe Inks For Parker 51

parker 51 ink

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 19:20

Ok, so I have more Parker 51's than I would care to admit to.

So far, I've limited them to a diet of Quink as it cleans out of the P51 really easily.

However, Parker's royal blue has to be one of the most boring blue's on the planet - so I'm looking for an alternative.

I have plenty of Waterman Inks, as well as MB Royal Blue and Pelikan Brilliant Black and Turqouise, but I'd rather not put an ink in that proves to be difficult or have issues - such as Diamine's reds or greens.

So, does anyone have any recommendations of inks that they've used with their P51's without much trouble?

Sponsored Content

#2 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 19:34

I have used Blue Quink mixed with Diamine Sargasso Sea Blue, like 70/30 with no issues, also Sheaffer's Skrip Blue with Quink black enough to darken the blue, also no issues. I have tried for a while MB Royale Blue (new bottles) and was fine.

#3 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 20:37

+1 for Diamine inks (not the shimmer ones though!). I just took delivery of 4 lovely colours from their website in the 30ml size and received a nice sampler in a colour of my choice for spending just over £10!

Edit: specifically: Sapphire Blue, Damson, Antique Copper and Sepia.

Edited by Marlow, 23 June 2019 - 20:38.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#4 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 20:48

For aerometrics, I'd use anything that didn't have particles in it.

For vacumatics, I'd be a lot more circumspect and stick to known safe inks (Waterman, Quink, Aurora)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#5 MarcS

MarcS

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 23:19

I only have aerometrics; using vintage sheaffer washable blue with excellent results.

#6 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:02

Aerometrics with the original sac material seem to be really resilient to most typical inks, based on what I've read, so most any ink will be fine.  Since it takes a long time to flush a P51, I would echo avoiding shimmer inks in these pens.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#7 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:43

With vintage sac fillers it seems best to stick with Waterman, Sheaffer and Parker inks.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#8 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,808 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:24

Thank you everyone. I think I'll substitute the Quink Royal blue with MB royal blue which is a more vibrant blue.

I've also got a Waterman South Seas Blue to use when I go on holiday - my holiday postcard ink.

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,351 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:28

Pelikan or MB inks would do fine too.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#10 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:10

Herbin non-shimmering inks are very safe too.

#11 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 13:11

In my P-51's, I use anything that looks good. Not shimmer, of course. Just now, I have 51s with Asa-Gao, Penman Saphire, Monteverde Sapphire, Diamine Oxford Blue, and PR DC Supershow Blue. 

The aero is easier to clean, and its pli-glass sac seems as if it will last forever. I'm a little more careful with 51 vacs. 

The P-51 mastered some harsh inks, including Parker's P-51 inks. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500

#12 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,810 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 13:47

well most modern / aka contemporary dye based ink would be safe here ... those without shimmering and those that are specifically dye based ( not IG, not carbon, non pigment ) .. if you are after ease of cleaning , J. Herbin's range tend to do well on the regard , and saturated ink like Sailor's probably not the best

#13 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,808 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 18:43

J Herbin - that's wonderful - I've got a bottle of Eclat de Saphir I can use. A lovely blue.

#14 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,710 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:51

I'll admit that I have used some crazy inks in some of the 51 Aeros -- including purple inks in the Plummer.  And at the moment, the Midnight Blue one is inked up with KWZI Chicago Blue LE.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#15 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 21:12

Waterman, Herbin, diamine, pelikan, lamy, monteverde...

I'd be fine using any ink that wasn't supersaturated or shimmer or pigmented due to cleaning annoyance, but other than that, I'd only stay away from noodlers baystate inks and red inks in any pen with a sac. Everything else in my collection of over 200 inks is fine in my sac filled pens.

Red inks and baystates are fine, they'll just shorten the lifespan of the sac and require a refresh sooner. Shimmer and saturated inks are just annoying to clean.

The only times ink needs to SERIOUSLY be considered is when damage may occur that is irreparable. I don't put any hard to clean or acidic inks in my krones because restoring them will be a headache, so I want them to last as long as possible. But my eversharp flex nibs and other sac fillers get all sorts of ink.

For super safe inks, though, I don't think anyone has ever even whispered a complaint about J. Herbin's standard line damaging a pen in any way. The less saturated, the less flushing required, the less wear and tear. Herbin, 4001, and lamy are all modestly saturated, as are most birmingham colors, Namiki blue, and on the cheaper side, Hero carbon blue (a non pigmented, nice, modest blue)

Edited by Honeybadgers, 25 June 2019 - 21:18.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#16 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,808 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 22:51

Is Pelikan 4001 too dry an ink for the P51?

#17 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 23:08

It shouldn't be.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#18 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,808 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:01

It shouldn't be.

My modern Parkers can't stand the stuff. It's to dry for them. Which is a shame, as Brilliant Black is - brilliant. Fortunately Cross can't get enough of the stuff. 

#19 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,686 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:26

Is Pelikan 4001 too dry an ink for the P51?

I use Pelikan 4001 brilliant black all the time in my 51s. But I don't have fine nibs. I don't know if that would make a difference. For me 4001 black works in every pen I use.

#20 RudraDev

RudraDev

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:58

Most inks should work well, but here's a list of inks I'd avoid:
1. Any sheening or shimmering inks, since they tend to be very saturated
2. Inks with special features, like the noodler's polar inks
3. Inks that have a reputation for being high maintenance, like noodler's bsb, most iron gall inks, some Monteverde inks
4. Anything that's too old(10+ years old

Some recommendations for super safe inks would be:
1. Any of the pilot Iroshizuku inks
2. Waterman inks
3. Most Diamine inks
4. MontBlanc inks

Edited by RudraDev, 26 June 2019 - 08:59.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 51, ink

Sponsored Content

|