Fine Writing International Golden Armour Brass Pen

taike

FWI_Brass_6G_07_sm.jpg

Taiwan pen maker (and stationary products importer) Fine Writing International (尚羽堂) has released the 6th generation of their brass pen.

The cap is a big part of the story of this pen. This is the first round cap in the series. The others were octagonal.

It's also more ornate that previous iterations. It's crazy-cool.

FWI_Brass_6G_09.jpg

The design is inspired by patterns found in Chinese armour. It looks like the Mountain pattern armour (山文铠) which first appeared in the Tang Dynasty.

Then there's the lion with the dagger in its mouth on the end of the cap.

FWI_Brass_6G_05-1_sm.jpg

The concept is that given that the pen is mightier than the sword, it should be helpful to armour-up your pen (and give it a knife-baring mascot).

FWI_Brass_6G_17-1.jpg

The pen uses a #6 Jowo steel nib and comes with a converter. Eyedroppering is a natural, however. There's a o-ring on the section. I added silicon grease to the section threads.

The cap itself is about 25g making the capped pen over 50g.

Sans cap it is a much more reasonable weight - with a full barrel of ink.

1906220250PM.jpeg

• Capped 140mm
  • Uncapped 130.5mm
  • Section diameter: 10.3 -11.9mm
  • Barrel diameter: 13mm

The design balances the pen's proportions very well. The size and diameter of the section is comfortable. The length natural. The diameter of the barrel feels right.

I got mine with a 1.1 stub. It's also available with EF, F, M, and B nibs. I picked KWZ Brown-Pink. The pen holds 4ml according to the included booklet.

gI569gT.jpg

Writing with the Golden Armour is a treat. The nib couldn't be smoother and gives gentle but clear line variation. It's wet without being a gusher. The pen wrote perfectly from the first.

The weight of the pen calms my writing - as much as that's possible. I find watching the letters form inspiring.

Fine Writing International is far from a household name - though they are getting more attention lately. You may have seen their Planets series.

I feel fortunate to have had my head up when this pen came along. The pen was just over US$90 direct from Fine Writing International.

I understand retailers in the UK and Japan stock this pen. Not sure about the US. But FWI ships internationally as does Taipei retailer TY Lee.

More pictures and comments here.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fudefan

• mehandiratta

• taike

• Cyclohexene

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a nice pen! I have a review too:

https://www.fudefan.com/2019/05/fwi-golden-armor/

Yoseka Stationery in the US sells it.

FWI manually check all nibs, and I've never had problems with my Gen 3, 4, 5, and 6 brass pen nibs. However, I heard chrisrap52 got a problematic nib. We'll have to wait for his review.

Edited by fudefan

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

Is the section made of brass? It certainly looks that way to me, and if it is indeed the case, we have here an eyedropper pen with metal section threads?

Is the section made of brass? It certainly looks that way to me, and if it is indeed the case, we have here an eyedropper pen with metal section threads?

I've had my 3rd Gen for over a year now, mostly eyedropper-filled. Maybe some parts have gotten a bit darker, but nothing I've really noticed. Can post photos later when I'm back from work.

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

I've had my 3rd Gen for over a year now, mostly eyedropper-filled. Maybe some parts have gotten a bit darker, but nothing I've really noticed. Can post photos later when I'm back from work.

Follow Fudefan aka Jacob on Instagram for his coverage on all the pens of The Writing International

https://www.instagram.com/fudefan/

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I really love the 5th Gen pen though ....

and yeah while you wrote ... I was looking at the Atalantis version also... that crazy ....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter