All Of My Ink Swatches- Messy Post

Chaos-incarnate

I have a lot of ink samples and some bottles of ink that I have swatched as I receive them; consequently they are in no particular order. The dot paper is Tomoe River paper in an Endless Recorder notebook, and the plain paper is Clairfontaine (My Essential I think). I apologise for the shoddy posting- upside down, not cropped etc. I had a lot of issues trying to get these showing correctly, and in the end I realised if I kept trying to get them right I would never end up posting at all! I hope they may be of some help for comparison. I took these photos in sunlight which showed the colours most accurately- I tried under daylight globes and other lighting but these turned out the best. It gave me a new appreciation for those of you that post such good photos! It was particularly hard to show shimmer as well as the colour. Anyway, thank you to everyone who has posted ink reviews, it helps me a lot to choose what colours to get :) Of course, you have all cost me quite a bit and continue to do so!!

Ancient Song Winter October is almost identical to J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor, and I would say the flow is actually slightly better too if you're looking for a cheaper alternative. I think it might be called Ancient Charm is the US? Water Dragon's Song is a little watery for my liking though.

I adore Diamine Frosted Orchid and Wine Divine, some of my absolute favourites :) I generally run them in my Lamy Al- Stars and they flow just fine with extra fine, fine and medium nibs (I prefer finer nibs and never use broads). I also put them in my FPR ultra flex nibs which give huge shading for drawing with.

I also like the Organic Studio sheeners- although they are smudgy, you can use a water brush to bring out the blues for drawing and the red sheen really adds a dimension. I just keep a cover paper over those pages in my sketch book to cut down on ink transfer. I've never had a problem with the inks in our pens, and my fiance loves them.

De Atramentis Document Black is the best behaved waterproof ink I have used, although it is very flat. I have inked over it after with Organic Studio sheen ink which looks very cool.

R and K Scabiosa is a fabulous shader, great for drawing, and Black Swan in Australian Roses (which was suprisingly hard to get in Australia as I found out when I ran out of my sample half way through a drawing!) is also a hot favourite- it lives in my Pilot Metal Falcon. The R and K sketch inks are very good, but I wish the trade off for waterproofness wasn't such a flat ink.

I am loving some of the Troublemaker inks, so far I have ordered bottles of Copper Patina (so much love!!) and Dragonfruit.

I've been on a yellow streak this last week, and am about to order Diamine Citrus Ice (shimmer!) and Sunshine yellow ( loads of shading and beautiful clean bright yellow), as well as Akkerman French Yellow Ochre- this ink flows amazingly well (I mention this down below, sorry to repeat). I also like De Atrementis Amber Yellow Copper- it's more orange but the copper is different and a great compliment. The Heliogen Green is also worth mentioning for a darker more natural green, and the Diamine Golden Oasis is a bright clean green with gold shimmer.

I could go on but that's enough I think! Feel free to ask me anything- I haven't inked up all the colours yet but I'm trying. I can't really use shimmers at work as my pen lives upright in my pocket and our temps reach around 40 degrees celcius +. It causes a lot of hard starts.

fpn_1560316180__20190529_121724.jpg

fpn_1560316310__20190529_121846.jpg

fpn_1560316393__20190529_122256.jpg

fpn_1560316361__20190529_122025.jpg

fpn_1560316406__20190529_122304.jpg

fpn_1560316422__20190529_122401.jpg

fpn_1560316435__20190529_122456.jpg

fpn_1560316446__20190529_122503.jpg

fpn_1560316459__20190529_122540.jpg

fpn_1560316470__20190529_122637.jpg

fpn_1560316487__20190529_122730.jpg

fpn_1560316501__20190529_122746.jpg

fpn_1560316572__20190529_123023.jpg

These swatches are from the Australia pass around box generously started and predominantly supplied by A Smug Dill. My favourites so far are Akkerman French Ochre Yellow and Diamine German exclusive Robert. The Akkerman flows particularly well with my FPR Himalayan ultra flex nib. Some inks don't seem to like this nib- in particular the Robert Osters which seem reluctant to flow, almost like baby's bottom. The Citrus Black is kind of like writing in lemon juice and then ironing it- it reminds me of being a kid lol.

fpn_1560316514__20190529_122857.jpg

fpn_1560316529__20190529_122902.jpg

fpn_1560316544__20190529_122912.jpg

fpn_1560316559__20190529_122955.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chaos-incarnate

• A Smug Dill

• penzel_washinkton

• mke

Chaos-incarnate, bravo! :thumbup:

Anyway, thank you to everyone who has posted ink reviews, it helps me a lot to choose what colours to get :) Of course, you have all cost me quite a bit and continue to do so!!

Ha, that's the spirit. Steering and leveraging fellow hobbyists' discretionary spending is one way to sustain availability of our favourite consumer products in the market. ;)

De Atramentis Document Black is the best behaved waterproof ink I have used, although it is very flat.

I must say it looks more sepia than black in the photo of your swatch, and makes me think of Platinum Classic Ink Sepia Black iron-gall ink (of which I've only seen photos). I should send you some Pelikan Fount India ink from the bottle I received recently, and see what you think.

These swatches are from the Australia pass around box generously started and predominantly supplied by A Smug Dill.

I hope you had fun with those. :) That's a whole lot of work you've put into this. Thank you!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Fabulous and thank you.

Just a little advice, it would be better if the orientation between the pictures are consistent.

Just a little advice, it would be better if the orientation between the pictures are consistent.

I think Chaos-incarnate has uploaded the JPEG files as recorded by her camera, and the orientation information is there in the EXIF metadata. WebKit in OS_X fails to respect it when rendering inline images on web pages, and thus some of the photos appear rotated in the Safari and Chrome browsers on my Mac; but they appear correctly oriented in Safari and Chrome on my iPad.

If the second image from the top appears rotated 90° clockwise on your display, try either just clicking on it (since Chaos-incarnate hyperlinked the inline image to the resource hosted on FPN's server), or open the image in a new browser tab or window by way of the context-sensitive ('right-click') menu, and the image will most likely be presented on its own in the correct orientation.

That's an issue I've encountered before in other forums (running on different application platforms). It is essentially a browser (or operating system) defect on some users' computing devices of choice, and in my opinion not individual forum members' responsibility to anticipate and work around when inserting inline images in their posts, irrespective of whether they're aware of the issue and have the know-how (and/or time) to circumvent it, especially if their camera equipment has already done the right thing by populating the EXIF metadata dutifully. I usually post-process images captured on my camera, primarily to downsize it but often also to make colour adjustments (with thanks to XYZZY and Wulfraed for showing me the way), and in the process change the orientation before saving the final image to be uploaded, but I don't think that's something we (as random, faceless information consumers benefitting from what our fellows choose to post freely) can expect of everyone or anyone else before posting.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thank you, besides the considerable amount of swatches and pictures I understand that you actually took those pictures in the sunlight.

That is a fantastic idea and it proves right, the colours are showing quite truly, in fact if there is big issue in ink reviews it's the fact that its extremely difficult to show the right colour when taking photos in artificial light.

Some of these are spot on, never seen such a close resemblance to the true colours on screen.

Would love to see your photos at even higher res...

I think Chaos-incarnate has uploaded the JPEG files as recorded by her camera, and the orientation information is there in the EXIF metadata. WebKit in OS_X fails to respect it when rendering inline images on web pages, and thus some of the photos appear rotated in the Safari and Chrome browsers on my Mac; but they appear correctly oriented in Safari and Chrome on my iPad.

If the second image from the top appears rotated 90° clockwise on your display, try either just clicking on it (since Chaos-incarnate hyperlinked the inline image to the resource hosted on FPN's server), or open the image in a new browser tab or window by way of the context-sensitive ('right-click') menu, and the image will most likely be presented on its own in the correct orientation.

That's an issue I've encountered before in other forums (running on different application platforms). It is essentially a browser (or operating system) defect on some users' computing devices of choice, and in my opinion not individual forum members' responsibility to anticipate and work around when inserting inline images in their posts, irrespective of whether they're aware of the issue and have the know-how (and/or time) to circumvent it, especially if their camera equipment has already done the right thing by populating the EXIF metadata dutifully. I usually post-process images captured on my camera, primarily to downsize it but often also to make colour adjustments (with thanks to XYZZY and Wulfraed for showing me the way), and in the process change the orientation before saving the final image to be uploaded, but I don't think that's something we (as random, faceless information consumers benefitting from what our fellows choose to post freely) can expect of everyone or anyone else before posting.

Yes, thank you A Smug Dill. I had a great deal of trouble and wasted hours on different uploaders and editing programs and almost gave up. Thank you for your PM helping me post this at all. That is why I mention the specifics of this in my title (messy) and in post.

Thank you, besides the considerable amount of swatches and pictures I understand that you actually took those pictures in the sunlight.

That is a fantastic idea and it proves right, the colours are showing quite truly, in fact if there is big issue in ink reviews it's the fact that its extremely difficult to show the right colour when taking photos in artificial light.

Some of these are spot on, never seen such a close resemblance to the true colours on screen.

Would love to see your photos at even higher res...

Thank you :-) Yes, they were in sunlight- I waited until it wasn't directly overhead.

Try this link for higher res, I was limited to file size on here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y3drrxqvbdczp3c/AAAiIgvVFiB2_nqBOYeCvhzIa?dl=0

Hopefully it works for you :-)

Thank you for your PM helping me post this at all.

My pleasure! Now, do you want any samples of Kobe Ink Story #52 and #67? :)

Chaos-incarnate, bravo! :thumbup:

Ha, that's the spirit. Steering and leveraging fellow hobbyists' discretionary spending is one way to sustain availability of our favourite consumer products in the market. ;)

I must say it looks more sepia than black in the photo of your swatch, and makes me think of Platinum Classic Ink Sepia Black iron-gall ink (of which I've only seen photos). I should send you some Pelikan Fount India ink from the bottle I received recently, and see what you think.

I hope you had fun with those. :) That's a whole lot of work you've put into this. Thank you!

Thanks A Smug Dill :)

Although the swatch looked a bit average (imo when I first tried it), DeAtrementis is quite black although not highly saturated out of a pen. I 've added a couple of photos to my Dropbox that hopefully show it better- using a Cross Bailey medium nib pen. There is a very slight sheen if laid on thickly, much flatter than Platinum. No shading. In another photo I've overlayed it with O.S. Nitrogen to get a beautiful sheen and add interest. These 4 photos I mention are taken under fluoro lighting sorry, I'm at work on nightshift this week. I haven't got the ability to upload photos at work without a lot of messing around- I'm half posting from my phone and half on a computer to get to this point lol.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y3drrxqvbdczp3c/AAAiIgvVFiB2_nqBOYeCvhzIa?dl=0

My pleasure! Now, do you want any samples of Kobe Ink Story #52 and #67? :)

I probably do- it's like waving lollies at a kid ;) Do you know how much that bottle of Akkerman French Yellow Ochre is going to cost me?! I blame you ;)

This is such an inspiring thread! Thank you for sharing :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Do you know how much that bottle of Akkerman French Yellow Ochre is going to cost me?! I blame you ;)

Turns out I should be blaming RedDingo sorry!