The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Problems W/mv Converter On New Estie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fidlnjohn

fidlnjohn

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:25

I just bought a beautiful evergreen Estie with MV converter from my favorite Little Rock pen store. The new pen with new nib work great! However, the MV is an almost complete failure. I have four vintage Esterbooks, inherited from my grandmother. Each of those four nibs plus the vintage nib I bought with the Estie work in each of the four vintage pens. However, only two nibs work in the MV without jamming tight in less than one turn. A touch of silicone grease doesn't fix it. The manufacturer sent me another MV, but it has the same problem. The manufacturer says I'm the only one with the problem and it's old plastic, so I'm on my own. Anyone else have this problem?

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 15:34

What does MV stand for?

Pictures of the Renew Points May help too
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 fidlnjohn

fidlnjohn

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:16

MV is what Esterbrook calls their section specially constructed for vintage nibs. You swap out the standard issue with this MV section. The idea is that you use the new Estie with all you old nibs. 

#4 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 17:36

My decision: Having a handful of vintage Esterbrooks and a handful of extra nibs, I opted not to invest in the MV converter. Kenro will sell you an extra F, M, or B nib for only $25, which is less than what many of the vintage nibs cost. And the pen is significantly larger than the J pens, with a significantly larger JoWo nib such that a vintage Esterbrook nib might appear dwarfed in the new Estie pen. But that was my decision.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#5 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:00

fidlnjohn: I bought the Este with the MV converter from the same favorite Little Rock store last March. I have 11 old nibs and they all work fine.

Since you live somewhere near Little Rock why don't you come to the Arkansas Pen Club meeting next Thursday night (July 11th) at 6:00 PM.  A link to the club web site is at http://www.arkansaspenclub.com/ and will give you all the information. Bring your Este and get help from a whole bunch of "experts".

I just saw you're flying a Kansas flag so maybe you can't make it to the meeting.

Edited by RoyalBear, 08 July 2019 - 02:10.

Sponsored Content

|