The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Need Advice On Parting With A 2442 Nib And Pen.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gutbucketeer

Gutbucketeer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:10

I now have 5 Esterbrook SJs, which it turns out are a bit small for my hand.  I also have some extra Renew Point and Venus Nibs.

Looking for feedback on what buyers would like to see.  Should I advertise the Renew Point 2442 fine stub separately, and then put a different nib (such as a Venus Fine, or a Renew Point 1551 medium student) on the SJ, or just sell one of the SJ pens with the 2442 on it directly? 

Oh and another semi related question.  The 2442 I have really shows that it is a stub in reverse writing, but writes like a medium with very little line variation in regular position.  I read somewhere that this seems to be a common issue with right handed writers (like me.) is this true?

Also, the 9668s I have write more like broads than mediums.  How thick of a line should they be producing?

Thanks in advance

JAB

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:31

Since the nibs are interchangeable, you can fit both pen and nib to your liking.  If the pen is too small, I think selling that is an easy decision.  As far as the nib goes, do you like the nib?  If you like the nib, then I would keep it.    If you are indifferent to it, you can either sell it on or off the pen.

I'm one of those who like to match nibs to pens, so small pens get fine nibs, and broader nibs go on larger pens....but I'm weird that way.

#3 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 14:08

The 2442 is not all that common so I suggest keeping it and learning to hold it so you get some line variation. Then buy some full-size J pens [check with Gary] either with or without nibs. The 9668 is a free flowing nib, but it is a medium. Try a drier ink like Pelikan 4001.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#4 Gutbucketeer

Gutbucketeer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 19:12

Thanks.  This is good advice.  I seem to like the fine and extra fine nibs.  So I will probably put the 9668 on the pen and keep the 2442 as a spare.   The 2442 does take some adjustments to my writing style.

#5 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 22:00

That old saying different strokes for different folks , certainly  applies to writers.

We all have different styles requiring different nibs  Sure a couple end up being your  Favorite for now

but in no time you will be using this special pen for this special letter or drawing  or doodling

Well you get the idea and that is of course Esterbrook and others  developed so many different choices.

Well you get the idea. There is no such thing as the perfect nib, suitable for every occasion .

Happy writing

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#6 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• 1,971 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:31

Never thought of buying a pen body only, but when the seller is Gary it sounds like a promising idea.

Edited by Misfit, 14 July 2019 - 18:50.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|