Drawer Of Broken Hundred Year Pens ?

PaulLeMay

What a coinkidink! I too took possession of a standard ribbed one in green this past weekend. Semi flexible nib. Although the nib is a bit catchy so I may need to have someone look into smoothing it.

The pen actually is in good condition but a good lesson as to why you should never assume a pen is “restored” unless you know the seller. This one was “restored” with an uncut latex sac. My assumption was it wasn’t the right size judging how it fit on the section. Also wasn’t powdered. When I took it out, I saw the crease where the top was bent by the bar. Resacced it with a cut silicone sac of the right size and it fills quite nicely now. No problem at all with the sale. I’ve come to expect it. Just a reminder of that lesson.

I also took possession by another seller of a snorkel. The seller swapped in a new sac but missed the o ring and a few other fine snorkel points. The o ring was petrified in the groove. It writes really well now.

OK, so how does the Hundred Year Pen write? Is it worth the bother?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• eharriett

• GlenV

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This specific Hundred year has a small catch in it. Not sure if it is because I'm lefty and the pen is effectively moving in upward strokes or if it is something else, but I have a small number where this happens to. Usually easily fixable by a pro. Not all pens have this issue, but some do.

That being said, the Hundred year isn't just my favorite because of the way it looks. It is a VERY comfortable pen. The full size ones have beautiful lines and the pen balance is always such where I have excellent fine motor control over it. And Waterman just does not know how to make a bad nib. Back then, anyway. The standard size hundred year has an unusually large nib for the pen size, allowing for a bit more control. This particular hundred year won't exhibit it too well right now because of the catch in it, but one of my letter writing pens is a smaller hundred year with semi flex and a smaller nib that s one of the few flex pens that exhibit flex for me (again, lefty -- I know some lefties can do flex, but I don't get much of it). Another Hundred with the regular nib -- an accountant nib that I actually take with me to conferences for business. It and my gold Snorkel are my "dress" pens. And then a full size Doctor Hundred Year that is just an unbelievable writing experience. For starters......

I guess what I'm saying is, the Hundred Years are what really got me more interested in the hobby and the way they write for me continues exhibiting the reasons why I am here.

I received this pen yesterday: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantasy-Clone-Turquoise-Swirl-Waterman-Hundred-Year-Fountain-Pen-14k-Emblem-Nib-/143295410318?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=WucpkzV05QNFjnAzMY220igwRqE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Despite the ebay picture showing apparently unequal length tines, after minor finger adjustment of the nib, this fantasy Hundred Year Pen writes very well and smoothly. It writes a fine line that is slightly wet. The pen does not dry out even during pauses, nor overnight. It stays wet and ready to write. I don't know if the Emblem nib would be right for a Hundred Year Pen or not, or whether some improvement would be experienced by changing to a Hundred Year Pen's nib.

The plastic has a sensuous feel. The feel, light weight and writing quality of the pen are making it a favorite. The nib and feed, despite the appearance, are wonderful. Rigid fine writer.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I'm doing a later model 100 year pen pretty soon, have replaced a clear end on a couple commandos

I love them..

Your drawer is full of possibilities.

Edited by GlenV

Regards, Glen

My St Lewis Pen Show find...

post-5351-0-51353700-1561516116_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks,I was thrilled! At first I just thought it was a nice Waterman set, only after I sat down later and got out my loupe did I realize that I had scored an awesome 100 Year Waterman set with a flex nib! As a bonus the pencil is fully functional!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

An example I mentioned earlier in the thread: this big Bexley Prometheus had a perfectly nice nib but it was just crying out for something more. I found a really trashed Sheaffer 8C from the 1920s and salvaged the nib. With this smooth nail and fat 12mm section, you can write for days in comfort. I think it is a perfect case where transplanting a fine old nib is totally justified.

t2jBtQNh.jpg

Looks GREAT, Jon! Finally, a nib the right size for that pen.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Looks GREAT, Jon! Finally, a nib the right size for that pen.

Aw, thanks Greg! That means a lot, coming from you.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Way to go on that beautiful set! Im working on an emblem pen late hundred burgundy is so dark appears nearly black and is cracked chipped etc Im sleeving section area and soon to make a clear end. I like the pen a lot but not the materials it was made out of. If you have a Waterman pen for 100 years its more likely to be made of bhr!

Regards, Glen

Forgive my ignorance, please, but is there a difference between an Emblem Pen and a Hundred Year Pen?

The Waterman long term guarantee was illegal by 1945

And Waterman changed the name of the 100 year to emblem. (In the first drawer picture are a few other Waterman pens that shared the fragile end celluloid )

Regards, Glen

Thats my understanding anyway :)

Finished up this week project challenge to work on I must say but writing very nicely

post-146565-0-66718700-1561859499_thumb.jpeg

Regards, Glen

Beautiful! The end is very nice. That's a great job. Thank you for the reply and clarification.

The name "Hundred Year Pen" is so impressive it is almost mystical or something that sounds like it must be a legend..

Edited by pajaro

• 2 years later...

A solution that I've pursued with the 100 year pen nib (sizes 17 and 18) and the Emblem (size 18) is to use an Ebonite Jowo #6 housing and feed (you can pick them up at the Flexible Nib Factory), and set the feed to the nib. this is a solid solution. You can then fit the nib to any body that takes Jowo #6. I've restricted my options to exclude cartridge fillers (which has an impact on the choice of Jowo nib and feed), and currently have the nib in a Desiderata Daedalus (ebonite eyedropper) but can easily swap it into my Opus Omar or BAMF.