Drawer Of Broken Hundred Year Pens ?

PaulLeMay

Over the years I have accumulated a drawer full of broken Waterman Hundred Year Pens. I just LOVE the huge gold flexible nibs. But what the heck do you people do with your busted Hundred Year Pens? Am I the only one?

The caps are brittle, the clear ends shatter. But I can't just toss them out. The nibs are so fabulous.

What should I do with them?

post-2182-0-79995400-1561058988_thumb.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• eharriett

• GlenV

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clean the nibs up nicely, photograph them well, including an indication of flex and nib tipping and list them for sale individually with all the rest of the parts listed as one lot perhaps?! Should realise enough for a decent further pen acquisition!

I would keep my favourite among the nibs and make up a nice frankenpen with it, as I have done with an 18c flexy MB 149 nib for my own use.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

There are so many fine pen craftspeople out there today! If I was faced with this situation, I would take a nib and feed that I like, have a conversation with a pen maker about just what you would like - bearing in mind that you can specifically design the elements to suit your taste: pen size, section girth, design elements, etc - and have them install the nib and feed in the pen so that you have a modern, robust pen built to your specs to house the magnificent nib.

I don't have any of these, but I've routinely purchased Sheaffers from the 1920s that have been all busted up but nibs still in great shape, and housed them in various pens. My favorite so far is a massive Sheaffer nail from an 8C pen that is housed in a coral Bexley Prometheus. It is a fabulous writing experience, and new life for a great old nib.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Have seen some one on ebay that have been taking the internals from these pens and making new bodies for them using modern materials. At-least that's what i understand he/she is doing. i may be wrong though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantasy-Clone-Turquoise-Swirl-Waterman-Hundred-Year-Fountain-Pen-14k-Emblem-Nib/143295410318?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

You may want to have a talk with him/her. Yes it wouldn't be an original waterman, but its better than turning them in to spare parts.

Also there are few repair people that are able to create the end cap and the cap top from modern metrical. You should be able to find one fairly easily. it may cost a bit though. If you want me to have a check and get you some links i'm happy to do so :)

Best of luck.

Edit :

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pricelist.htm

Note that i haven't used any of these services before so i don't know how it will play out. You will have to talk to them and see :) . http://www.pensmith.com.au/ also may be able to help. I have only used them once to repair a broken off "astral" plunger filler. but thats very different to these pens.

Edited by shalitha33

Those nibs are great indeed! Thanks to all who shared the idea of re-housing them - I never thought of that! Regarding repair of any pen, or recreation of just about any part - the best in the world is Brad Torelli. He is the Picasso of Pens - no question. However, he isn't the fastest. I had him recreate a section for my Patrician - and it took two years of constant follow up. But boy, the result was incredible! I actually sat next to him in his workshop and watched him work. It was surreal....

If you have a pen that too far gone to be rescued but has a solid nib you can try to make your own pen out of it. This is an example made using a waterman N.Y no 4 nib with a modern body made out of metal and ancient kauri wood.

post-144072-0-41996900-1561076819_thumb.jpg

post-144072-0-38570300-1561076826_thumb.jpg

post-144072-0-59967200-1561076832_thumb.jpg

post-144072-0-22272400-1561077348_thumb.jpg

This one is using stranded international cartridges. So the only waterman thing in this one is the nib :(.

You can find old conway stewart pen blanks on ebay. taking the internals of off one of the broken pens and making a body out of such a rod might result a stunning pen :P. a pen smith should be able to do that for a fair price.

Edited by shalitha33

Sell one to me, I am an engineer, and watch what kind of solution I come up with for the shattered clear portion. I would bet resin could be cast to replace the broken portion, then followed up with a bit of turning and polishing.... it might turn out spectacular.

I have always wanted one of these pens despite the vulnerability. I did bid on this ebay item, even though I doubt I will get it. I would like to write with one of these pens. I don't remember if I have or not. Oldtimer's.

What I have done with Waterman, Sheaffer, Parker and Montblanc pens has been to re-use the nib and feed, if possible, in a pen needing a nib replacement. It happens, rusted steel nib, bent and crimped nib, etc. Most of my old gold nibs have found new life in another pen. Sure it makes a Frankenpen, but it's usually an improvement in the writing of the pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I believe the Mighty Ron Zorn was making and attaching new ends for the Hundred Year pens.

Perhaps he will drop by and offer some advice on the process.

An example I mentioned earlier in the thread: this big Bexley Prometheus had a perfectly nice nib but it was just crying out for something more. I found a really trashed Sheaffer 8C from the 1920s and salvaged the nib. With this smooth nail and fat 12mm section, you can write for days in comfort. I think it is a perfect case where transplanting a fine old nib is totally justified.

t2jBtQNh.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Some pen maker could also probably make a replica Hundred Year Pen in durable material. They could use a PVC sac for durability. The drawer could be cleaned out and put to use as Hundred Year Pens. Of course, all it takes is funding.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Have seen some one on ebay that have been taking the internals from these pens and making new bodies for them using modern materials. At-least that's what i understand he/she is doing. i may be wrong though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantasy-Clone-Turquoise-Swirl-Waterman-Hundred-Year-Fountain-Pen-14k-Emblem-Nib/143295410318?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

In an emoji:

I had NO idea that was happening!

The original seller doesn’t have others. I need to reach out to them to find out if they actually make these. I WANT!!!

I did get that auction. It will be interesting.

The nib of the "fantasy pen" doesn't look like it would write as-is.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

The nib of the "fantasy pen" doesn't look like it would write as-is.

The best laid plans of mice and men . . .

I did wonder if I would have to push the tines together and stub it. Platitude meter on empty . . ..

Some pen maker could also probably make a replica Hundred Year Pen in durable material. They could use a PVC sac for durability. The drawer could be cleaned out and put to use as Hundred Year Pens. Of course, all it takes is funding.

Not saying straight out that an inquiry isn't out to a rather famous one, but I am saying they're going to get back to me after they see if they can get the ribbing done.

Another famous penmaker did make me a wooden one to the dimensions of a hundred year. With ..... very ..... special wood. He created a tool to grove the ends for me and now has a line of pens with grooved ends. It is a very special pen that never leaves the house. But it is a beauty to write with.

I did a survey of pen bodies and dip nibs in my collection and discovered that I have seven potential hybrids. Swapping nibs seems to have been a practice in the Fountain Pen Era, and there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to find modern pens of the same scale as your nibs. I may suggest having a look-round a pen show to get a sense of what will work.

Over the years I have accumulated a drawer full of broken Waterman Hundred Year Pens. I just LOVE the huge gold flexible nibs. But what the heck do you people do with your busted Hundred Year Pens? Am I the only one?

The caps are brittle, the clear ends shatter. But I can't just toss them out. The nibs are so fabulous.

What should I do with them?

To have a collection of these pens even broken, is fabulous. This thread brought these Hundred Year Pens back to mind.

The pen on the right suggests to me to have a barrel end made for this pen to look like a Carene barrel end. It could be in brass or in resin. The shape might complement the Hundred Year Pen and set it off in a Waterman image.

You could have a barrel end like Phileas or Laureat made for a Hundred Year Pen, out of translucent resin.

Edited by pajaro

I became the very proud owner of a smooth bodied black 100 Year Waterman pen and pencil set in the box this weekend. Very beautiful condition and flexible nib. Haven't had time to photograph it yet.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I became the very proud owner of a smooth bodied black 100 Year Waterman pen and pencil set in the box this weekend. Very beautiful condition and flexible nib. Haven't had time to photograph it yet.

What a coinkidink! I too took possession of a standard ribbed one in green this past weekend. Semi flexible nib. Although the nib is a bit catchy so I may need to have someone look into smoothing it.

The pen actually is in good condition but a good lesson as to why you should never assume a pen is “restored” unless you know the seller. This one was “restored” with an uncut latex sac. My assumption was it wasn’t the right size judging how it fit on the section. Also wasn’t powdered. When I took it out, I saw the crease where the top was bent by the bar. Resacced it with a cut silicone sac of the right size and it fills quite nicely now. No problem at all with the sale. I’ve come to expect it. Just a reminder of that lesson.

I also took possession by another seller of a snorkel. The seller swapped in a new sac but missed the o ring and a few other fine snorkel points. The o ring was petrified in the groove. It writes really well now.