The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

When The Ink Level Is Too Low To Fill A 149

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 txomsy

txomsy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:54

I concur with the second bottle suggestion.

Do not want to "waste" the last drops of ink? Easy, pour them on the new bottle.

Sponsored Content

#22 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 21:33

My solution to the problem in the title is, firstly, that I have another pen and, secondly, dregs go into the Random Mix Bottle.

I'm with Zaddick and torstar. :)

The Random Mix Bottle.... I'm not that brave of a soul....  i assume BSB isn't eligible in this wheel of fortune?

Edited by torstar, 25 June 2019 - 21:45.

#23 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 21:59

My solution to the problem in the title is, firstly, that I have another pen and, secondly, dregs go into the Random Mix Bottle.

I'm with Zaddick and torstar. :)

+1

Most open nib pens would leave some ink in the bottle, naturally bigger #9 nibs (such as MB149) would leave more ink behind. I use hooded nibs (second pen) such as P 51 or 21 to suck in but the last few drops

Edited by jslallar, 26 June 2019 - 19:40.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#24 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 3,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 22:13

The Random Mix Bottle.... I'm not that brave of a soul....  i assume BSB isn't eligible in this wheel of fortune?

I use only water-washable dye-based inks from major manufacturers, having researched those characteristics. This has not proved limiting to my range of colours or ink characteristics, other than water-fastness, glitter, or the ability to dissolve spare bones.  :)

Edited by praxim, 25 June 2019 - 22:13.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#25 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,232 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 19:08

I use only water-washable dye-based inks from major manufacturers, having researched those characteristics. This has not proved limiting to my range of colours or ink characteristics, other than water-fastness, glitter, or the ability to dissolve spare bones.  :)

i used to order samples from a company well repped on here, then filled the small plastics bottles with "whatever" and have no clue what is in a few of them.  I could mix them and see what happens, probably going to never be used any other way.

#26 Gilberto Castaneda

Gilberto Castaneda

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:35

You have a 149 and are too cheap to buy a bottle of ink to fill it?

(something isn't adding up here....)    :lticaptd:

:lticaptd:  :thumbup:

Although I don't have the pleasure of knowing Barry Gabay personally, he is a recognized expert and collector.

By no means cheap. His note is very clear: ..."in an antiques shop in a city far from home..." . You might know the itch to use a newly aquired pen and shortage of resources to get ink during travels.

I would recommend you to search his articles and you'll appreciate his advise. 

Cheers Barry, another nice package of knowledge from you!

Gilberto Castańeda

#27 Pravda

Pravda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:34

Hey friends!! Been a while :)

Thought to chime in.. when a bottle of ink gets too low to properly fill a 149, I dedicate the ink to 146 size nibs then 1906 size nibs.

After that, I throw the rest of the ink in a mix bottle of choice- youll be surprised how many wonderful new ink colors Ive discovered on the melanges produced.

Sponsored Content

|