A Blue Lamy 2000 Coming

Nerdyhistorian

Here's a picture from the Appelboom instagram account.

I consider it’s a mistake to release it in metal, due to price and feasible damage to the finish...

But it looks stunning!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Glenn-SC

• Calabria

• shoryupen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I consider it’s a mistake to release it in metal, due to price and feasible damage to the finish...

But it looks stunning!

It is in makrolon, not metal AFAIK.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Uh, nice....to sadden my wallet i think i am counted in...all in EF is a bit wired, but i can swap the nib with an other myself.

Broken and defect 2000s show up on the bay often regulary for relative little money, so nibsalvage is mostly an option. To be precise, i obtained several 2000s that way over the years, making a nice little fleet of them for super agessive inks or high particle dense inks. Summed up i have four for the price of not a single one new. The 2000 is nearly indestructable. Make two functional pens from three broken ones. Finish is easily restorable as it is brushed.

By the way, does anyone need a spare oblique broad or oblique medium nib?

I need a broad

Actually it's going to be made from polycarbonate - that's what one of the pen shops in the UK was told by their Lamy rep, so not makrolon (else why did they not just say that)

I believe the Makrolon Lamy uses on their 2000s are from Bayer.

It's a trademark as well.

This maybe useless information, but Lamy could be sourcing their Blue plastic from somewhere else???

(I could be 200% wrong.)

I believe the Makrolon Lamy uses on their 2000s are from Bayer.

It's a trademark as well.

This maybe useless information, but Lamy could be sourcing their Blue plastic from somewhere else???

(I could be 200% wrong.)

The other was Lexan, patented by GE around the same time. Lexan is owned by Saudi Basic Industries from mid 2000 (when they acquired GE Plastics).

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

The other was Lexan, patented by GE around the same time. Lexan is owned by Saudi Basic Industries from mid 2000 (when they acquired GE Plastics).

The more you know...

(Thank you for the additional info, seriously. :D )

Edited by AL01

(Thank you for the additional info, seriously. biggrin.png )

thumbup.gif

GE and Bayer came up with a similar polycarbonate. Bayer named it Merlon (later Makrolon) and GE named it Lexan.

Both are lighter and stronger (over 180x) than untempered glass.

Engineer :

The Lexan playing I have is nothing like Makrolon - would like a thick sheet of fibreglass trying to stop a bullet.

On a different note - The Writing Desk are now taking pre-orders. They have stated it is makrolon (why the other shop was told it was polycarbonate instead only the Lamy sales rep will know), and also have a very wide range of nibs available for order from EF all the way through to extra broad, and also oblique medium, broad and extra broad.

Makrolon is NOT fiberglass, it's merely a trade name of polycarbonate.

Makrolon is the trade name for a type of polycarbonate resin invented by Bayer. It's basically the same as Lexan. Google is your friend (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate#History).

Polycarbonate can be transparent like in eyeglasses or it can be completely opaque and colored. It can be unfilled or it can include additives to enhance it's properties. Sometimes glass fibers are mixed into the resin to increase its strength (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-filled polymer). That type of material would be described as a "glass-filled polycarbonate". Glass-filled polycarbonate is used in all kinds of products. It is not fiberglass.

Names are interesting. You'll note that pen manufacturers describe their pens as being made of "resin" and not "plastic".

On a different note - The Writing Desk are now taking pre-orders. They have stated it is makrolon (why the other shop was told it was polycarbonate instead only the Lamy sales rep will know), and also have a very wide range of nibs available for order from EF all the way through to extra broad, and also oblique medium, broad and extra broad.

A logical step, considering the LE and standard nib sections are the same.

Strange, that some bright spark at Lamy thought EF should be the only offering.

Engineer :

A logical step, considering the LE and standard nib sections are the same.

Strange, that some bright spark at Lamy thought EF should be the only offering.

I wondered whether The Writing Desk were just up for swapping in whichever nib size was ordered?

Instagram @inkysloth

Makrolon is NOT fiberglass, it's merely a trade name of polycarbonate.

Makrolon is the trade name for a type of polycarbonate resin invented by Bayer. It's basically the same as Lexan. Google is your friend (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate#History).

Wikipedia is also full of a lot of inaccurate (bleep), however on this occasion I'm happy to be corrected :)

BTW that page states the Makrolon name came about and was registered in the 1980s, however we all known the material in the Lamy 2k was called that from the start in 1966, and I suspect it was used in earlier pens as well, such as the 27 ;)

I wondered whether The Writing Desk were just up for swapping in whichever nib size was ordered?

Since the Section is in part Makrolon, if they changed the entire Section with a standard black version the colors wouldn't match all they can do is swap the nibs themselves.

Wikipedia is also full of a lot of inaccurate (bleep), however on this occasion I'm happy to be corrected

Not long ago i was told (by a professor) that it is not as much as it may seem. It is true that "anyone" can edit a page, which leads to the possibility of vandalism, however also true is that someone who has the knowledge can spot the error at any time and correct it. This seems specially true with science and technology pages. Furthermore, one can argue about the possibility of errors on large scale literary productions such as an encyclopedia.

Tadeo

Wikipedia is also full of a lot of inaccurate (bleep), however on this occasion I'm happy to be corrected smile.png

BTW that page states the Makrolon name came about and was registered in the 1980s, however we all known the material in the Lamy 2k was called that from the start in 1966, and I suspect it was used in earlier pens as well, such as the 27 wink.png

Patent filed in 1953, registered as 'Merlon' in 1955 and production commenced in 1958. The name was changed to 'Makrolon' in 1980.

I am doubtful whether Lamy did refer to it as 'Makrolon' from the beginning of production in 1966.

Engineer :