Review: Lamy Vista Extra Fine

Mongoosey

Review: Lamy Vista - Extra Fine

Introduction:

I’ll be plain, simple, and straightforward. I think this Lamy Vista-Extra Fine is a great all-around pen.

OOTB + Aesthetics

The Vista is simply a demonstrator of the Lamy Safari. For me, the clear resin enhances the aesthetics making a “vista” out of the inner workings I find proportioned to a harmony of function accentuated well by the chrome colored trim.

post-145190-0-52940900-1560991043_thumb.jpg

Cap/Uncapping

The cap snaps open and closed with ease, yet securely. I don’t worry about this pen uncapping in my pockets.

I can count on the inner cap to help keep the pen from drying out.

The clip is very sturdy, easy to use, and doesn’t damage a pocket.

post-145190-0-47912000-1560991154_thumb.jpg

The Nib + Feed

Lamy nibs may vary. This Extra Fine steel nib runs about the size of my Pilot Metropolitan Medium or a typical Western Fine. I find this size is great for EDC. It doesn’t cut into cheap paper nor does it write too wide a line.

OOTB the EF nib was smooth and reliable. I haven’t had any hard starts, nor skipping, nor worries.

This Vista has a moderate inkflow and paired with a wetter ink, in this case Iroshizuku Take-Sumi (A favorite of mine), the writing experience is splendid.

The feed is not only reliable, but its roof can be separated allowing for easy cleaning of the ink canal, which is especially helpful for higher maintenance inks.

post-145190-0-25858600-1560991531_thumb.jpg

The Section

The Triangular faceted section is something I very much disliked at first. Yet, I soon realized it taught me how to write properly with a fountain pen and helped me to use my arm instead of my fingers to write. Holding it in a tripod position with my fingers against the flares gives me a secure balance around the sweet spot of the nib in a uniquely comfortable way. It’s like a sweet spot for the grip.

I like how the section is set further back from the nib. It prevents the pen from feeling too small for me.

I also like that there’s only 2 facets along the section instead of an extra third along the bottom like some other pens have. This prevents the section from feeling too small for me.

All together I find the section very comfortable for longer writing sessions.

post-145190-0-47053600-1560992210_thumb.jpg

The Body + Converter

The body is basic as evidenced by Lamy Safari’s the Vista is a Demonstrator version of, but I like the clear resin and the “vista” of the converter with the soft red piston knob transitioning along the brushed metal to the ink reservoir.

post-145190-0-06357700-1560991605_thumb.jpg

I also like how the converter itself has nodules that secure it into the section to help withstand excess roughness.

The pen does post securely, but I prefer it unposted because it still has a nice full-sized length to it.

As a whole/Conclusion:

I do like how the Lamy Vista is lightweight. My hand does not fatigue during long writing sessions.

Being made from ABS plastic this is a very durable pen and it doesn’t feel cheap.

I also like how the entire pen is easy to dismantle and clean.

post-145190-0-69180300-1560991736_thumb.jpg

Overall, I have found the Vista to be a dependable writing instrument that not only helps beginners write, but keeps up with seasoned fountain pen users.

This is a pen I grew from disliking to loving.

And I have grown to appreciate how remarkable this pen is for only around $30 (I picked mine up from jetpens.com - Excellent Customer Service and Purchasing Experience as always).

Among all the starter pens I’ve tried, and I think I’ve tried just about all of them, this is the only one I’ve stuck with. I use it as an EDC and a daily writer for long sessions.

I look for an excuse to put this pen in my hand, especially when inked with Take-Sumi.

To be plain, simple, and straightforward: The Lamy Vista has proven to be a pen I can’t not have.

post-145190-0-66501000-1560991911_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongoosey

• 1nkulus

• essayfaire

• majorworks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you : )

That "to-the-point" review was what I was going for since there are plenty of in depth reviews on these pens.

When I started out in fountain pens 2 years ago I was on the look out for a durable pen at that Starter Pen price I would prefer to use well down the road as an EDC and long distance writer...

...And the Lamy Vista/Safari/Al-Star series really turned out to provide such a pen...

...And the Vista stands out a hair among the Safari and Al-Star for me probably because for years prior I used the Pilot G2 which is a lightweight demonstrator I always carried in my pocket.

Edited by Mongoosey

Do you have large hands? I just bought a Safari and find it terribly wide. My hands are more long large.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Do you have large hands? I just bought a Safari and find it terribly wide. My hands are more long large.

I'd say I have medium large hands.

Maybe the "longness" of your hands has a preference for narrower sections.

I'd say I have medium large hands.

Maybe the "longness" of your hands has a preference for narrower sections.

Perhaps. Thanks for the review. Beautiful ink, BTW.

Festina lente

Perhaps. Thanks for the review. Beautiful ink, BTW.

Indeed. Pilot created such a beauty of a Black Ink with Take-Sumi and with a superb flow and feel.

It's one of my favorite inks, and I prefer Black Inks.

But my photos can't come close to capture the subtlety and depth it surprisingly has.

Heart of Darkness use to be my go-to black ink, but Take-Sumi and Sailor Kiwa-Guro took over and share that role now.

Indeed. Pilot created such a beauty of a Black Ink with Take-Sumi and with a superb flow and feel.

It's one of my favorite inks, and I prefer Black Inks.

But my photos can't come close to capture the subtlety and depth it surprisingly has.

Heart of Darkness use to be my go-to black ink, but Take-Sumi and Sailor Kiwa-Guro took over and share that role now.

I may have to get a sample. I use Sailor Jentle cartouches for my black so I have limited my Iroshizuki inks to other colors (I adore Tsukushi), but I think I may need to sample the Take-Sume.

Festina lente

Very nice review - enjoyed it.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

I may have to get a sample. I use Sailor Jentle cartouches for my black so I have limited my Iroshizuki inks to other colors (I adore Tsukushi), but I think I may need to sample the Take-Sume.

I like to use Browns as a "Black Alternative" or a Secondary Ink.

I have Yama-Guri because I like its darker hue, and it is lovely, but it lacks the warmth of a reddish brown like Tsukushi.

Despite the fact that I love the way Iroshizuku inks write, I'm not a fan of most of the colors, but Tsukushi is near the top of my list to sample along with Hotei-son, though a bottle of Asa-Gao will probably lure me first after it entranced me at Pen Show.

Very nice review - enjoyed it.

Thank you. I'm glad.

I think I'm going to stick with this simple manner of a review in the future. I have a couple coming up in the next month for some higher end pens I think stand out.

My experience is very similar to this good review, I have seven Vistas in F and M. I wish they would offer the Vista without the ink windows on the barrel, perhaps this would mean they evaporate less quickly (apparently one can look for a Vista Rollerball and swap the barrels, but I got mine for less than $22, that would make them $45 pens, which they are not). My caps end up really dirty, but when I've cleaned them ink ends up between the cap and the silver inner cap.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

My experience is very similar to this good review, I have seven Vistas in F and M. I wish they would offer the Vista without the ink windows on the barrel, perhaps this would mean they evaporate less quickly (apparently one can look for a Vista Rollerball and swap the barrels, but I got mine for less than $22, that would make them $45 pens, which they are not). My caps end up really dirty, but when I've cleaned them ink ends up between the cap and the silver inner cap.

I have to clean my caps out a little bit, too, periodically.

Though I don't mind the Facets, and even like them in a way for the sweet spot of a grip they provide, I do wish they made an Evolved Vista version that kept the straight taper and flares, but without the facets; kind of like an Aurora 88, and like that Aurora 88, I wish they'd make such a Vista with a piston filler.

Nice review of a simple and robust pen. thumbup.gif

I used mine with a 14K nib and Noodler's BSB, striking combo.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Nice review of a simple and robust pen. thumbup.gif

I used mine with a 14K nib and Noodler's BSB, striking combo.

That sounds fantastic.

The 14k nib is absolutely on my list to put on the Vista. I'd even prefer that over the Lamy 2k, which my hand finds uncomfortable.

The BSB definitely makes it a striking combo. That ink is so electric I can read it in the dark.

That sounds fantastic.

The 14k nib is absolutely on my list to put on the Vista. I'd even prefer that over the Lamy 2k, which my hand finds uncomfortable.

The BSB definitely makes it a striking combo. That ink is so electric I can read it in the dark.

It was great till I dropped it while crossing the road. Once I did realize, it was too late as it had been run over by a car/s.

Silver lining is, for no apparent reason, I had transferred the 14K nib to a Logo the previous week. biggrin.png

The 2K Steel and Dialog 3 are among my favourites.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

It was great till I dropped it while crossing the road. Once I did realize, it was too late as it had been run over by a car/s.

Silver lining is, for no apparent reason, I had transferred the 14K nib to a Logo the previous week. biggrin.png

The 2K Steel and Dialog 3 are among my favourites.

lol that's a story.

Maybe that was the subconscious's way of saying "I prefer the Logo" lol.

lol that's a story.

Maybe that was the subconscious's way of saying "I prefer the Logo" lol.

I have a few Logo's for testing duties, so they would have been the obvious choice to park this 'floating' nib.

Certainly a subconscious decision, me thinks. smile.png

Engineer :

I have a few Logo's for testing duties, so they would have been the obvious choice to park this 'floating' nib.

Certainly a subconscious decision, me thinks. smile.png

That's what's nice about that nib: You don't have to pay a lot for a replacement pen that functions very well.

That's what's nice about that nib: You don't have to pay a lot for a replacement pen that functions very well.

True, Lamy nibs can be used across the entire range except the 2K.

OTOH, in terms of cost, the 14K nib is more expensive than the entire Lamy range except for the Imporium, Dialog 3 and 2K.

The above three models come with a 14K nib as standard.

Engineer :

True, Lamy nibs can be used across the entire range except the 2K.

OTOH, in terms of cost, the 14K nib is more expensive than the entire Lamy range except for the Imporium, Dialog 3 and 2K.

The above three models come with a 14K nib as standard.

Indeed.

Edited by Mongoosey