The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Another 8440 Has Darkened My Door

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2020 - 14:30

I have found the lowly 1555, even mounted in a desk pen to be an extremely dependable starter.  A woman in our pen club was a stenographer many years ago and kept two in case one ran out of ink.  I read where it was designed not to dry out because a person taking shorthand would not, could not, tolerate a non-start.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Sponsored Content

#22 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2020 - 19:50

My first Estie had a 1555 nib on it.  It's a decent writer in spite of having a folded nib with no tipping....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#23 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2020 - 00:17

I met an Esterbrook collector today who prefers some 2xxx nibs over 9xxx nibs.  She had a folding case with 16-20 [I didn't count accurately[ green Esterbrooks which she said was one of each that had been produced.  I  recognized Js, LJs, SJs, an Icicle, Dollar pens, and Transitionals. 

Edited by corgicoupe, 02 March 2020 - 00:49.

Robert Frost

#24 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:03

I met an Esterbrook collector today who prefers some 2xxx nibs over 9xxx nibs.  She had a folding case with 16-20 [I didn't count accurately[ green Esterbrooks which she said was one of each that had been produced.  I  recognized Js, LJs, SJs, an Icicle, Dollar pens, and Transitionals. 

I've acquired several 2556 nibs that are very nice writers. 

#25 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2020 - 13:39

When I was an undergrad student in the 1960s, I was assigned to a desk that came with a green Esterbrook desk pen with a 2668 nib.  The pen followed me through grad school and is on my desk today, but has graduated to a 9668 nib which is not a significantly better writer.

Robert Frost

#26 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2020 - 17:48

Just because a 9xxx nib can be expected to outlast a 2xxx nib of the same size doesn't mean it will write bettter. It will just last a couple of lifetimes instead of one. I couldn't say I noticed diffrences in writing unless one were worn out.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#27 Mannyonpil

Mannyonpil

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2020 - 13:41

I have found the 2xxx to be smoother than the 9xxx but I cannot say that I have used enough of either to really have experienced a representative sample of all of the 3.7 kajillion nibs Esterbrook produced.

#28 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2020 - 22:31

I got a 2788 in on a late Transitional demi. This is the most flexible and medium nib I have used/owned. I recommend one. THis photo show the pen and the 788 dip nib. 

Attached Images

• Trans.jpg
  • AEF8615B-7B9E-48C7-BF3E-3E98CE9F5512.jpeg

Edited by Estycollector, 04 March 2020 - 22:36.

Sponsored Content

|