The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Another 8440 Has Darkened My Door

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mannyonpil

Mannyonpil

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:08

Another 8440 has come unto me and I have pressed this one into service right away.

In general I have found the 8440 to be an especially dry and toothy nib but this one has a relatively good flow and does not dig too terribly much into the paper. And, the more I use it, the better it gets. I still write slowly since the feed doesn't quite keep up but even if I forget, it still lays down enough ink to be serviceable.

I have popped the 8440 into a Bell Systems slim J pen for the last few days at work it has been in my breast pocket. I am probably tempting disaster doing this but I will say though that the nib has done quite well. I am a professor and I find that using the 8440 for writing comments literally between the lines of student papers has been a delight. (Yes, I still have students print things and I write on them, dinosaur that I am.)

Sponsored Content

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:38

On the other end, it's great for making corrections between the lines.  A bit hard and messy with my trusty 2668.  I usually wound up scratching the offending line out completely and starting fresh ... bad for the penmanship grade.  Or do they bother grading writing quality anymore ....

Great use for the 8440, cartography having migrated to the computer these days. 

Does it help with reading between the lines? :)

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 17:09

Another 8440?  :o  You say that as if you've acquired more than one of those.... 

I've only seen one or two for sale, and they were always way more than I could afford; I'm trying to coax the Philistine husband (aka "Mr. BIC fine point") over to the dark size, and have been afraid -- when he deemed the F nib on a used Vanishing Point to be too wide (!) -- even *after* I got him a Rhodia pad to use instead of the cheapo steno pads from the office supply section at Sam's Club that he'd been using -- that any of the EF Estie nibs I have will not meet his exacting standards either.... 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth, 19 June 2019 - 17:10.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 22:03

Get him a dip pen with a 128 nib.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#5 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 19:09

"Mr. BIC fine point") over to the dark size, and have been afraid -- when he deemed the F nib on a used Vanishing Point to be too wide (!) -- even *after* I got him a Rhodia pad to use instead of the cheapo steno pads from the office supply section at Sam's Club

Give him a Koh-i-noor Rapidograph with a 000000 (6x0) point (0.13mm, the more common 000 is merely 0.25mm)

And stock up on spare points, as breathing too hard will crumple a 000000 point (in my college days, my mother startled me, and I killed my 000 nib on a Faber-Castel TG1).

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 20:29

Get him a dip pen with a 128 nib.

Are you kidding me?  We're talking about a guy who can't find the clothes hamper or a trash can if his life depended on it....

You think FOUNTAIN PENS are sometimes messy?  I shudder to think what he'd do with a dip pen....

I love him to pieces...  but....  Sometimes he's just a slob.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 20:33

Give him a Koh-i-noor Rapidograph with a 000000 (6x0) point (0.13mm, the more common 000 is merely 0.25mm)

And stock up on spare points, as breathing too hard will crumple a 000000 point (in my college days, my mother startled me, and I killed my 000 nib on a Faber-Castel TG1).

Oh no.  I'm NOT trusting him with the Rapidographs....  I've had some of them since I graduated from high school (asked my parents for a set as a graduation present), and bought the rest in college.  No way, no how is he using my Rapidographs.  I can't even get him to flush the (used) Vanishing Point that I swapped an EF nib into....

Sponsored Content

|