Diamine Frosted Orchid Ink - Safe For 146?

Zlh296830

I recently got Diamine Frosted Orchid Shimmering Ink, is it safe to use in expensive pen like montblanc 146? Will it clog the pen? Is it hard to clean?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zlh296830

• Bo Bo Olson

• Honeybadgers

• Beechwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't use shimmering/particulate inks in any pen you're not comfortable with taking apart and cleaning on a regular basis.

I tend to avoid shimmer inks in pens that are self filling. Getting the glitter out can be a pain and can leave subsequent fills with a bit of glitter.

Also, the self fillers hold a lot more ink than a C/C, and that may cause the increased amount of glitter in the pen to clog the feed. Thusfar, the only one I've had cause this is the extreme amount of glitter in J Herbin caroube de chypre, and not any of my diamine shimmers. So best to just avoid putting shimmer inks in a piston filler (there are exceptions, I put shimmer ink in my TWSBI vac700R, but that pen is easy to fully disassemble for cleaning and I don't mind wearing it out.)

Same rule applies to pigmented inks.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I tend to avoid shimmer inks in pens that are self filling. Getting the glitter out can be a pain and can leave subsequent fills with a bit of glitter.

Also, the self fillers hold a lot more ink than a C/C, and that may cause the increased amount of glitter in the pen to clog the feed. Thusfar, the only one I've had cause this is the extreme amount of glitter in J Herbin caroube de chypre, and not any of my diamine shimmers. So best to just avoid putting shimmer inks in a piston filler (there are exceptions, I put shimmer ink in my TWSBI vac700R, but that pen is easy to fully disassemble for cleaning and I don't mind wearing it out.)

Same rule applies to pigmented inks.

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I use the 1911L for this ink? Since it is quite easy to disassemble.

A Pelikan's nib unit unscrews, so one can use a rubber bulb syringe to clean out the barrel.....your second rubber bulb syringe, the one that is cut off to fit the nib unit is needed too. To get the last of the glitter out....or enough that a fleck or two don't matter when you re-fill.

A 146 or any MB has a glued on nib, so is not light to take apart.....there are tools to do so....and one should have the pine tar glue to put it back together. So I'd stay away from MB for glitter.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I took a 149 into MB for attention due to staining of the window and poor flow, the first question they asked was 'have you been using Diamine inks?' That was any Diamine ink, They carried out a level one service and fixed the poor flow, they swapped out the barrel and didnt charge for a new barrel, the shop assistant said 'I dont know why they didnt charge for that'

I would follow the advice above and only use any type of Diamine ink on pens that you can wash out very easily.

Edited by Beechwood

I took a 149 into MB for attention due to staining of the window and poor flow, the first question they asked was 'have you been using Diamine inks?' That was any Diamine ink, They carried out a level one service and fixed the poor flow, they swapped out the barrel and didnt charge for a new barrel, the shop assistant said 'I dont know why they didnt charge for that'

I would follow the advice above and only use any type of Diamine ink on pens that you can wash out very easily.

Which Diamine ink did you use?

I also go the Diamine Chocolate Brown ink. Will this particular ink have flow issues?

Like the recommendation of many, I would not use glitter inks in pens I cannot take down to its component parts. So even no Pelikan. Although the nib unit unscrews, you can wash out all the glitter in the nib unit itself unless you are competent enough to disassemble the nib unit.

I use glitter inks in pens like Edisons, Franklin Christophs and Pilot Parallel with very wide calligraphy nibs. You get the best results and you can easily wash off the glitter.

Like the recommendation of many, I would not use glitter inks in pens I cannot take down to its component parts. So even no Pelikan. Although the nib unit unscrews, you can wash out all the glitter in the nib unit itself unless you are competent enough to disassemble the nib unit.

I use glitter inks in pens like Edisons, Franklin Christophs and Pilot Parallel with very wide calligraphy nibs. You get the best results and you can easily wash off the glitter.

Thx for the additional advice! I will reserve glitter inks for future, after I get the pens you mentioned.

I use glitter inks on my Faber Castell Looms. These inks work better with broader lines - thin lines don't show the glitter up so much. Also being C/C they clean up quite easily.

I've had some Diamine inks (particularly browns and greens) crystallise in pens - so I wouldn't let them near my MB pistons.

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I use the 1911L for this ink? Since it is quite easy to disassemble.

That should give you no problems at all, as long as it's not the piston fill realo, the 1911L is a perfect pen for glitter inks.

Also, diamine as a general brand is no worse about staining than others. This community is intensely superstitious, even the repair community, and nothing they say is supported by anything more than very limited anecdotal evidence. The only thing we kind of know is that red inks in general are not good for sacs or rubber seals in the long run, and will require more regular (10 years instead of 40) servicing. So I am just careful to clean pens with red inks that aren't C/C and don't fill my expensive demos with inks until I've tested them in cheaper demonstrators to ensure they're not stain-prone (diamine oxblood is probably the best behaved red i know)

You want to generally avoid specific colors to avoid stains. High saturated blues, purples, oranges and reds are the most problematic colors. I've had pelikan 4001 red stain a pelikan M205 demo quite badly. But EVERYTHING stains that turd. I love the pen, but god will I never recommend the demonstrator version.

But that's mostly for demo pens. An ink window is just gonna get stained. You can never keep a pen 100% pristine and also use it.

Inks that crystalize (monteverde fireopal, one of my top five inks, does it quite badly) are fine. Some inks just form that krud, but it's completely water soluble and rinses right off. it's a purely aesthetic complaint.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You can cut the spout of a rubber bulb syringe to fit the feed unit of a Pelikan, and it will wash out the ink inside.....do keep a hard grip on both the section and the bulb syringe spout....some one shot the nib section away....missing the sink, I believe, with a one handed hold.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You can cut the spout of a rubber bulb syringe to fit the feed unit of a Pelikan, and it will wash out the ink inside.....do keep a hard grip on both the section and the bulb syringe spout....some one shot the nib section away....missing the sink, I believe, with a one handed hold.

Cleaning glitter this way (little particles stick to walls) is a paaaaaaaaaaaaaaain.

I recently got Diamine Frosted Orchid Shimmering Ink, is it safe to use in expensive pen like montblanc 146? Will it clog the pen? Is it hard to clean?

Personally..I would not use this hogwash ink in any of my pens...Of course

you may differ..that's your prerogative.....

Fred

Cleaning glitter this way (little particles stick to walls) is a paaaaaaaaaaaaaaain.

Have to admit, with one pen...did a half clean, and don't worry if ther's a tad of glitter in the 'new' non glitter ink.

I've 5 glitter inks, four Diamine, a Herbin Gold Glitter gray, which gives me the most glitter per bang. Having that didn't get that in Diamine..............should if I buy another get a silver and gray glitter. Gray seems to show the glitter more than the other colors.

I don't know....but I"m sheen blind................have good paper, but my Diamine inks bought to do both only glittered.

Outside that Japanese Tumolo River or what ever, I have to find out what is the best sheen paper.

Sheen is a rather new development in the last 5 years, and I still had old non-sheen inks on my need to buy ink list.

So I am behind the power curve with sheen.

I may have to break down and buy some of that expensive E22.00 Japanese ink for sheen.

Diamine Grape. There are many FPN posts about Diamine and stains, here is one for example

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/264275-diamine-inks-and-staining/

Really? Reading the linked thread more or less supports my opinion that Diamine makes less problematic inks than other manufacturers. Some dyes, especially red and purple ones, have a higher staining potential, which is observed throughout all brands. I use a selection of Diamine Old English inks for years and never observed any permanent staining (including red inks like Poppy Seed, Monaco Red, or Ancient Copper). Can't say anything about Grape or shimmering inks, though. The reaction of the MB service is quite typical. They first and foremost want to sell their own inks and thus frighten costumers to use any non-MB inks. Other brands do the same and there's no other reason for it in my opinion.

I've used Diamine's (non-shimmer) in my Pelikans without any problems I noticed.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.