Channeling Plastic Feeds Is Way Easier Than I Expected

Honeybadgers

I have a bunch of spare PenBBS feeds, so I figured I'd take a crack at channeling them for my flex nibs. I figured if this worked, I'd start selling penbbs bodies with my custom flex nibs in them.

I was honestly expecting to need to use power tools, but a dremel and cutoff wheel just melted the plastic instead of cutting it away, plugging it up and just really imprecise and hard to control. The results worked, but they were hideous, and there was a real risk of ruining the feed.

So I pulled out a $20 needle file set and was astounded at how clean, quick, and easy it was!

The results are now super wet and perfect for flex nibs. I started with a triangle file and slowly opened up the feed slit, and once it was wide enough, switched to the edge of a square needle file and brought it down to final depth. If you just want a wetter feed for a normal nib, you could just open it up with the triangle file a hair and you'd have all the flow you wanted.

To hold It, I just used a really cheap soft jaw hobby vise.

but for a flex stub, I wanted to go the full monte. It doesn't have any air exchange issues and doesn't drip or misbehave.

top is stock, bottom is cut. It took me maybe five minutes in total, that's how easy it was.

fpn_1560736045__20190616_183907.jpg

I'm thinking of using it on tons of things now. I can't stress how easy and forgiving this was to do. The file bites nice and slowly, and naturally wants to follow the slit if you start the cut with the triangle file.

This is the needle file I use ($22). I also use it for notching nibs for the side slits, it's been quite robust and cuts really nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009J6DVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fpn_1560736223__20190616_184001.jpg

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• penzel_washinkton

• TSherbs

• lysander

Great tips. Thanks for sharing.

+1 - I've just ordered a few tips of my own, and hope they'll be equally great! [As in, needle files to give this a go ;) ).

All I will say is that you should start with a triangle file to start the cut, and chase the established feed slit. The triangle file will follow the line and establish things for a clean cut with the square file after that.

And don't forget to channel the tail of the feed. If you only do the main part, there's still that bottleneck. Just be careful, you shouldn't need any pressure, the file itself will take care of the work.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

All I will say is that you should start with a triangle file to start the cut, and chase the established feed slit. The triangle file will follow the line and establish things for a clean cut with the square file after that.

And don't forget to channel the tail of the feed. If you only do the main part, there's still that bottleneck. Just be careful, you shouldn't need any pressure, the file itself will take care of the work.

Thanks @honebadgers, not sure when I'll get time to try this, but... with your input, and thanks to the Bay of Evil, I should at least have the tools now...

Great to see classic tools being still of use.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you for this tip, for the great photo, and the link to the tools you used!

I'm really excited to try this now.

Interesting, thanks for shearing !

However it looks to me you only widened the Ink/air exchange slit , while the small ink slit - at the bottom - looks obstructed by your work;
in my opinion you should also widening the ink-feed slit

Did you test the altered feed already?

Francis

So you don't chase the widened channel all the way out to the tip of the feed. That would be too much?

I could have taken it a hair further, but taking it all the way to the end would risk dripping.

Interesting, thanks for shearing !

However it looks to me you only widened the Ink/air exchange slit , while the small ink slit - at the bottom - looks obstructed by your work;

in my opinion you should also widening the ink-feed slit

Did you test the altered feed already?

Francis

It's hard to see but the tail slit is opened too. It's about twice as deep as before.

Yes, it's tested. If it just burped and dripped ink, I wouldn't have made this post :P and I've written several pages to make sure that I wasn't just using the buffer in the feed and that the ink was getting into the pen from the body.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I could have taken it a hair further, but taking it all the way to the end would risk dripping.

roger that

This is fascinating. Detailed results and simple instructions.

I thought I had read somewhere that widening or deepening a plastic feed would not work because it changed the texture of the plastic inappropriately, unlike ebonite as a feed material. I must have misunderstood.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

This is fascinating. Detailed results and simple instructions.

I thought I had read somewhere that widening or deepening a plastic feed would not work because it changed the texture of the plastic inappropriately, unlike ebonite as a feed material. I must have misunderstood.

I've heard that too, pretty much exactly as you described, but I saw how well it worked firsthand when I channeled a TWSBI feed with a razor blade and it made the pen a firehose. Then Pablo did one for me for my second superflex VAC700R and it was perfect too.

I honestly think the theory is either based in abject conjecture or perhaps based on other factors like old plastic formulas. Because the regular cheap plastic feeds aren't dipped or etched in any way, so how could widening them hurt? Capillary action works with very narrow channels, not the texture of the pastic, and you are interrupting that aspect of the feed system, but you're just replacing it with a much wider slot that ink doesn't need to be drawn up into, instead can just gravity feed into. It makes the pen inherently more wet (my feed is quite wet. not 3 slot FNF ebonite feed wet, but quite wet indeed) and I've had it in an inked flex stub Penbbs 456 for a day and it hasn't oversaturated the feed or dried out, it writes just like a nice juicy vintage ebonite feed does.

Edited by Honeybadgers

It's hard to see but the tail slit is opened too. It's about twice as deep as before.

Yes, it's tested. If it just burped and dripped ink, I wouldn't have made this post :P and I've written several pages to make sure that I wasn't just using the buffer in the feed and that the ink was getting into the pen from the body.

Thanks for your clarification, well done !

Francis

Thanks a lot for the detailed info Honeybadgers !

Do the files get clogged with the plastic ? Just wondering if I should use my relatively expensive swiss needle files or get another set.

Also out of curiosity, what kind of cuts do you make on your custom flex nibs ?

I make cross cuts at the breather and extend the slit, then two relief cuts at the base of the nib in line with the end of the extended slit, using a #5/0 jeweler's saw. The 6/0 keeps breaking in my scroll saw, but I'd use those if I could, and the 5/0 is perfectly adequate.

And no, the files won't get any more clogged with plastic than they would with aluminum or brass. You might have to brush them clean every once in a while, but mine have yet to need that.

Cool, thanks ! In my experiments with cross cuts I've been drilling a second hole in order to have the cross cut further back, but I've found that 1) it's the easiest part to screw up and 2) it makes the nib have a tendency to firehose ink on the page, inasmuch as the feed can keep up ( so in practice it has a tendency to be way too wet for a few words and then railroad ).

Your solution sounds like a good compromise.

If I just need to get them wetter, how much width of the channel do you reckon needs to be opened up?

Probably half of the width you have in the picture?