Fountain Pen Frustration

Sui-Generis

Thank you again for your replies, it's great to know that even in frustrated desperation that people are willing to lend an ear, and a hand.

@eharriett - I fully understand the "a bad workman blames his tools" stance, and I did, for some time, consider it could indeed be me that was at fault and not my bevy of ornery pens I have come to own. Except my frustrated post wasn't made after not having used other pens that DID work well for me. I mentioned in my initial post that Sheaffer 834 that is nothing but a pleasure to write with, also hold Jinhao in quite high regard (all the Jinhao's I've had have worked flawlessly, just sometimes a bit too board for my liking). As far as ink & paper goes, so far I have Rhodia, two versions of Clairefontaine, Oxford Red & Black (Optik) as well as my journaling paper - 120gsm HP laser paper. Ink wise I have tried Noodlers, shimmering and non-shimmering Diamine, De Atramentis, PurePens' own and of course Parker Quink.

I think I can just about stretch as far as a loupe at least, it's probably about time! But as far as 'nib grinding' goes? Not a clue. How would one go about making a nib lay down a finer line? I mean, I know how, but HOW?

I am also leaning towards shape, size and weight being a major factor for me.

Take for example the Jinhao X750, which to me fits my hand perfectly and is extremely comfortable and relaxed to write with, and compare it with the PenBBS 350, which is the exact polar opposite, where I feel like I am straining/tense every time I put nib to paper. Perhaps my hand is more keen on a heavier/chunkier pen?

Might check down the back of the couch to see if there's enough spare change down there for a Jinhao 159, which I believe is a copy of a Montblanc something or another?

Also, what's the general consensus on putting proper gold nibs into the likes of Jinhao? I would like to try KWZ inks but hear Iron Gall doesn't play too nicely with steel nibs, not even with the modern formulation? Guess there's another task for those default Jinhao nibs...Iron Gall fodder.

Arguing with people on the Internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will just knock the pieces over, s**t on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• Sui-Generis

• sandy101

• Mech-for-i

I’ve never had any luck with Parker, so I now avoid the brand. With Visconti, I buy from sellers who I can ask to test the nib before they ship it. Otherwise, I guess otherwise I’ve been lucky or maybe I’m not critical enough. Granted, I’m skewed toward German and Japanese pens, with the exception of an obsession with Leonardo.

I long ago decided cheap, like really cheap, Chinese brands weren’t worth the hassle, but they’re nice to fool around with outside of real use. I enjoy PenBBS and, to a lesser extent, MoonMan, but they’re more expensive than Jinhao etc.

Funnily, the one pen that really bugs me is an expensive classic DuPont I got as a gift and would like to love, but it just doesn’t suit me. No money involved for me, but still...

I mostly dislike modern Parkers (the Vector model being a notable exception). Vintage Parkers are another matter altogether.

Chinese pens are hit or miss. I have a few that I like, but have had trouble with others (fortunately they were all cheap -- $5 US or less (the "less" being pens I was given). The Jinhao 599 was okay (I hate the color of the one I was given) -- but the real advantage was that it taught me that I *could* get used to the grip on a Lamy Safari after all.

I understand the "I'd love to love it" comment. I have pens like that -- I don't hate them enough to get rid of them, but I probably should because I don't use them (one of my 51 Vacs being a case in point -- I didn't pay a lot for the pen to begin with, but I was never completely happy with the restoration. And then I got another one in the same color (Cedar Blue) for about the same price as what the first one with the replacement cap cost. And not that much more in restoration costs. So I should really get rid of the first one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I could pass my address to you ;) Quote .......................... "I don't hate them enough to get rid of them" ……………. reminds me of ZaZa Gabor's comment when speaking of men ………………. "dahlink, I've never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back".

I would add the P25 to the list of modern inexpensive Parkers - can be v.g. value for money - with preowned examples you know you're buying a cheap pen, but at least it delivers and does what it should, and has cost you almost nothing. I now have eleven - perhaps I should write with one of them.