Want To Create Something To Hold My Recipes

SlowRain

I'd like to make a recipe book of sorts. My initial idea is to use a small Rhodia pad (ie. the No. 16), and then find a binder that fits it, punch holes, and voila! But I was wondering what you suggest, as I'm sure some of you have your own solutions. My only real requirements are something expandable, easy to reorganize, somewhat durable & long-lasting, and able to handle an accidental splash or two. I was thinking of Rhodia 80gsm paper (or would the 90 be better?), Noodler's Heart of Darkness for recipe titles, and Noodler's Kiowa Pecan for the ingredients and instructions (because those are the only two inks I have that are relatively water-resistant). I'd appreciate any ideas or help you have to offer.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• SlowRain

• BaronWulfraed

• Restored

What about using good paper in a simple binder? The binder could handle the abuse of an active kitchen, is easily replacable if it gets damaged (spilled on? Burnt?), and it would be easy to reorganize.

A more upscale but straightforward approach would be to use a disc binder (Circa or Arc if those are available to you), and fill it with your favourite paper.

Both the binders and the Circa notebooks would be easy to store, as well, since they lay flat and/or can be sat neatly on a shelf.

From experience:
The best place is a computer. When you make the recipe, transfer it to a 3 ring binder.Write it out and add any notes/experiences. That way you have a written record of what you actually made. The computer version will always be legible but the written one may not. We all probably have that experience. My sister has all the family's recipes. I will probably never see them as they will probably get thrown away before I can get there.

I'm now thinking of putting each recipe in a sheet protector and then in a small d-ring binder.

As for an electronic copy, I was going to take a picture and back it up to the cloud.

Edited by SlowRain

As for an electronic copy, I was going to take a picture and back it up to the cloud.

That's actually a great idea if only my handwriting was legible. Maybe I should use that as my handwriting practice.

I have recipes in notebooks. I have recipes in the computer. I have recipes on cards. I have recipes hand-written on letter paper and pinned to my range hood with magnets.

They all work, after a fashion.

Makes me me want to ask a few questions such as: What size do you want for each page?

For example, you might find the Col-o-ring Ink Testing Book to be the perfect thing to use. Here is one place to buy it for $10.

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/best-selling-paper/products/col-o-ring-ink-testing-book?variant=11884617760811

I can think of many reasons it is the perfect thing.

Stamp and coin collectors have their own way of storing things, and it might work great for you. I cannot comment on any of the specific items I am about to link, but, I do own similar things.

Consider things such as this, which would require you to cut your sheets and store them:

https://www.amazon.com/20-Twenty-Pages-3-Pocket-Collecting/dp/B002KDPEMY

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RST53YP

If you want full sheet storage, I love these Avery heavyweight diamond clear sheet protectors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012VI9V8

For other sizes, you can purchase postcard albums almost anywhere. If you look at a place that sells stamp collecting supplies, they have many sizes depending on what you want to store. I suppose you could even store them in Glassine Envelopes, but, they are not as easy to see through, but they are pretty cheap (all things considered). I have ordered from this company numerous times in the past. They probably have all of the bill related stuff I linked above as well:

https://www.ihobb.com/c/POSTCARD_COLLECTING.html

https://www.ihobb.com

Interested to see what you come up with.

Disk systems (mentioned previously: Staples Arc, OfficeMax/OfficeDepot Tul, Levenger Circa, others) have an advantage over 3-ring -- besides the hassle of snapping a 3-ring binder open/close -- they allow for mixing different paper sizes. The hole spacing is consistent, so a set of covers for the largest size one expects will allow use of smaller pages too (I envision the largest pages will be one's hand-written or computer printed, but if one also clips recipes from magazines, and has the appropriate paper punch, one can directly press those clippings into the discs -- though I might be more likely to scan/print [use one of those "all-in-one" printers] just to use heavier paper stock). Punching 3x5 cards would give one a place to put "customizations" from published recipes without having to mark up the original page [and you can punch them short edge or long edge depending on preference or the layout of the original]

So flip the pages and punch on the right side -- and use the left hand page <G>