Waterman Graduate

YonathanZ

Hi,

I have a Pilot Metropolitan (M nib) which I like a lot but would like to try something different. What are your thoughts on the Graduate pen (fine nib) ?

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YonathanZ

• dennis_f

• sciumbasci

• Time-Traveller

Discontinued long ago, along with the Kultur, yet always available on Amazon and french supermarkets, which seem to never exhaust their supply somehow.

I was gifted a Waterman Graduate many years ago and it's a fine pen for what it is. I haven't used it for years, but not because it was a "poor quality" pen... i just moved on to other designs that I prefer.

It's a lightweight pen, a bit too thin for my (now grown up) hands, and uses Waterman cartridges. I'm not sure if the current convertors will fit with it... but the cartridges can be refilled with a syringe. I believe it is thinner than the Metropolitan, so that might be worth considering. It's a touch larger than a pencil.

No negative comments about it really. Waterman make good pens at every price point.

Thanks for the details, I do have large hands so I might not enjoy it as a daily writer. I do like the classic design though! It looks as timeless as a Parker Jotter.

No problem... It does seem timeless, but yes, I do find it a bit small these days (i'm 6' tall, and have average hands for that height), but it's more user-friendly than a CP1, I find.

Like most pens, you may need to try it in the hand before settling on it.

D.

Whats CP1?

A slender pen by Lamy.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

The "Lamy" CP1 -- and yes, I most definitely should have called it by its full name -- is a pen that gets commented on and reviewed here on FPN frequently enough that I assumed that you might have heard about it. Sorry about that; my mistake.

The CP1 is a rather slender pen -- about the diameter or a pencil -- and somewhat similar to the Graduate, which is why I compared the two. I was making the comparison under the assumption that if you'd heard of the CP1, you would have been able to draw some conclusions about the relative comfort of the Waterman.

In any case, since you haven't heard of the Lamy pen, you can just ignore the comparison.

Do let us know if you end up buying the Graduate.