The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inklings - Taccia Ebi - Purple Red Ink

taccia purple red ebo

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2019 - 18:39

Recently, I acquired several samples of Taccia Ink.  Taccia Ink is newly developed in California,  but made in Japan by experienced ink makers. There are 13 colors that are vibrant and pleasurable.  The inspiration for the colors comes from the "Japanese way of seeing colors in a pure, honest and innocent way".  The bottles are similar to Sailor bottles, but I do not know if they have the pen filler insert since I have not purchased a bottle yet.  (Photo compliments of Vanness Pens)

Ebi_Bottle_1024x1024.JPG?v=1539903217

This is a lovely ink that is a well saturated red that goes from a medium violet red to an intense dark cherry.  The ink is nicely lubricated with hints of green sheen in areas where the ink pools.  

This ink is well behaved in this moderately wet nib, and reminds me of many Sailor inks - not just the bottle but the ink itself. 

Fast drying, limited bleedthrough, showthrough and feathering, and with some shading, Taccia Ebi is an excellent alternative to other well known inks in this color range. 

fpn_1560621423__06_15_ebo_aarc_1_of_1.jp

Taccia Ebi ink / Conklin Duragraph with 1.1 nib / Staples Arc paper

Note:  The ink name is Ebi, not Ebo; and the ink comes in 40 ml bottles

fpn_1560621448__06_15_ebo_tr_68gsm_1_of_

Taccia Ebi ink / Conklin Duragraph with 1.1 nib / Tomoe River 68 gsm

Note:  The ink name is Ebi, not Ebo; and the ink comes in 40 ml bottles

Pros: 

Fast drying

Minimal bleedthrough, showthrough, feathering

Excellent flow

Moderate lubrication

Above average shading

Cons: 

Average dark red color

Minimal sheening 

Price:  In the US:  $12 for 40 ml at Vanness Pens,  Anderson Pens, PenChalet

Overall, an great value both in terms of price and quality! 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,890 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2019 - 22:05

Nice ink and a good price

#3 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 00:51

Good idea to include package photo  in your review... :thumbup:

Edited by Mr.Rene, 16 June 2019 - 00:51.

#4 VivaTerlingua

VivaTerlingua

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:58

Love the whole Taccia line, but especially Ebi.

#5 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,820 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 14:10

What do you mean by saying the ink is developed in California?

Also, what is the source of the quote about the Japanese way of seeing colors?  Japanese literature from a thousand years ago emphasizes the importance of a sophisticated sense of color, Japanese bookshops have volumes devoted to illustrating unique and elegant combinations of colors, and ink companies such as Sailor offer hundreds of inks in complex colors, which presumably do not offer any affront to the "Japanese way of seeing color."

"Pure, honest, and innocent" is a way that Western observers once habitually characterized peoples and cultures in other parts of the world.  It always gives me an uneasy feeling to read language like this.  

#6 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 19:17

Also, what is the source of the quote about the Japanese way of seeing colors?  Japanese literature from a thousand years ago emphasizes the importance of a sophisticated sense of color, Japanese bookshops have volumes devoted to illustrating unique and elegant combinations of colors, and ink companies such as Sailor offer hundreds of inks in complex colors, which presumably do not offer any affront to the "Japanese way of seeing color."

"Pure, honest, and innocent" is a way that Western observers once habitually characterized peoples and cultures in other parts of the world.  It always gives me an uneasy feeling to read language like this.  

Please look at the package.  It says "Born in California".  

The source of my my information comes from the Vanness Pens website. Forgive me for not mentioning that. 

My intent here was to merely present a new color, not cause you "unease".  

I have asked the moderators to remove this thread and others like it in order to not "affront" or "characterize people and cultures in other parts of the world".  

Edited by 5Cavaliers, 16 June 2019 - 20:34.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#7 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 19:20

Comment removed. 

Edited by 5Cavaliers, 16 June 2019 - 19:39.

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:30

Thanks for the review.  This looks like a nice color, but it would be interesting to see a side by side of this ink with Iroshizuku Yama-budo.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#9 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:16

Thanks for introducing a new brand. Interesting colors! And I agree inkstainedruth that a comparison would be interesting. Maybe also other colors from the line have a Iroshizuku or Sailor twin.

Edited by Jan2016, 17 June 2019 - 04:16.

#10 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:08

If I have a chance this week I may try to work something up with Yama Budo. 

#11 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 931 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 23:50

Got one coming my way, how does it compare with Yama Budo if you have it?

#12 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:20

Here is a quick comparison of Taccia Ebi and Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo: 

fpn_1560914354__img_5829_closeup_smaller

They are similarly saturated but Yama Budo leans more towards purple.  Yama Budo also sheens more, but Ebi feels more lubricated.  Both are lovely inks. 

Edited by 5Cavaliers, 19 June 2019 - 03:21.

#13 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 931 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 14:35

Awesome and thanks for the comparison, both seems similar but has their own differences.

#14 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 16:38

Okay, they're definitely enough different enough to possibly merit having both.  Thanks.  And, well, not....  :blush: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#15 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 21:48

We don't delete threads - though we sometimes hide them.

That is a quote from Taccia.  If you don't like their marketing, you should take it up with them.  Please do not berate the reviewer.  Negative comments cause reviewers to quit reviewing.

@5Cavaliers, thank you for the great comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#16 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:08

I've never seen (or eaten) any shrimp that looks this purple...

#17 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:24

Thank you for the comparison!

#18 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 940 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 14:07

Thanks for the good review. Taccia inks are made by Sailor. I've reviewed the black/Kuro positively but for me the standout is red/Aka, that it is an exceptional ink.

#19 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 940 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 14:10

It's just ink.

#20 Bill P

Bill P

FOUNTAIN PEN ENTHUSIAST

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 14:25

Thank-you for taking the time to review this ink.  I have several Taccia Inks and I enjoy using each of them...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taccia, purple, red, ebo

Sponsored Content

|