Inklings - Taccia A O Blue

DrDebG

Recently, I acquired several samples of Taccia Ink. Taccia Ink is newly developed in California, but made in Japan by experienced ink makers. There are 13 colors that are vibrant and pleasurable. The inspiration for the colors comes from the "Japanese way of seeing colors in a pure, honest and innocent way". The bottles are similar to Sailor bottles, but I do not know if they have the pen filler insert since I have not purchased a bottle yet. (Photo compliments of Vanness Pens)

Ao_Bottle_1024x1024.JPG?v=1539902496

This ink can be summed up in one word: WONDERFUL!

I have very rarely used an ink as pleasurable to write with as this one. From the moment I loaded into my Bexley Elegancia with medium nib - a dry nib I might add - this ink has been extraordinary. Even when writing on inexpensive copy paper, this ink is fast drying, did not bleed through, and had little show through. And the sheen on Tomoe River paper is AMAZING!

The ink is well saturated and somewhat water resistant, which should appeal for professional use. And the color is consistently a strong medium blue with a strong crimson sheen. IMO this ink would do well in any pen with, maybe, the exception in a very wet, wide nibbed pen.

fpn_1560621369__06_15_ao_blue_arc_1_of_1

Taccia AO Blue ink/ Bexley Elegancia medium nib pen/ Staples ARC paper

fpn_1560621395__06_15_ao_blue_tm_68gsm_1

Taccia AO Blue Ink/ Bexley Elegancia medium nib/Tomoe River 68 gsm paper

Pros:

Excellent flow

Moderately lubricating

Minimal bleedthrough, showthrough, feathering

Fast Drying

Well saturated

SHEEN! SHEEN! SHEEN!

Cons:

Little to no shading

Average blue shade

Price: In the US: $12 for 40 ml at Vanness Pens, Anderson Pens, PenChalet

Overall:

An Excellent ink in terms of quality and price!

Edited by lapis

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• amberleadavis

• Jan2016

• minddance

Thanks for introducing a new brand. Interesting colors! And I agree inkstainedruth in the other post

that a comparison would be interesting. Maybe also other colors from the line have a Iroshizuku or Sailor twin.

Thanks for introducing a new brand. Interesting colors! And I agree inkstainedruth in the other post

that a comparison would be interesting. Maybe also other colors from the line have a Iroshizuku or Sailor twin.

Thank you Jan2016. If you note at the bottom of the last writing sample photo, I did give show AO with Sailor Souten and Sailor Nioi Sumire, and also Iroshizuku Asa Gao. I believe that Asa Gao may be the closest although it is more purple than AO.

But, yes, if I get some time this week, I will try to work up some kind of comparison.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Here is a very quick comparison between Taccia AO Blue, Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao and Sailor Souten. While each has very nice sheen, Taccia AO tops the other two. IMO, it is also more lubricating, even more than Souten. But I honestly like the basic blue tone of Asa Gao much better. Truthfully, though, you can't go wrong with any of these, and Taccia AO is priced quite competitively.

fpn_1560965061__blue_comparison_small_to

Edited by 5Cavaliers

Great Comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I think I like the Sumire best.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

this seems like a must-try for me. I love saturated blues (and inks in general) that work in fine and dry nibs.

I wonder if Taccia keeps the saturation level of inks consistent across all colours. if all the colours are "equally saturated" as this, I can imagine myself getting a few bottles.

I'm quite taken by the sample of this I have - might go for a full bottle. The Taccia line has been a great experience - their browns and greens are also lovely.

this seems like a must-try for me. I love saturated blues (and inks in general) that work in fine and dry nibs.

I wonder if Taccia keeps the saturation level of inks consistent across all colours. if all the colours are "equally saturated" as this, I can imagine myself getting a few bottles.

I have tried four of their inks (AO Blue, Ebi Purple Red, Uguisi Olive Green and DaiDai Orange. AO seems the most saturated, but Ebi and Uguisi are not far behind. Daidai is also nicely saturated orange. These all remind me of Sailor inks and behave very much the same. I am almost certain they are made by Sailor - but are much less expensive.

I have tried four of their inks (AO Blue, Ebi Purple Red, Uguisi Olive Green and DaiDai Orange. AO seems the most saturated, but Ebi and Uguisi are not far behind. Daidai is also nicely saturated orange. These all remind me of Sailor inks and behave very much the same. I am almost certain they are made by Sailor - but are much less expensive.

this is music to my ears, will certainly try them out. thanks :)

Nice. I've sampled the Aoguro aka blue-black from Taccia. Not as inspiring IMO as this ink.

I haven't tried the Aoguro yet, but it looks interesting. But the sheen with AO is amazing - rates right up there with several others.

I think I like the Sumire best.

I do love Nioi-Sumire - it's blurple - what else can I say?

I'm quite taken by the sample of this I have - might go for a full bottle. The Taccia line has been a great experience - their browns and greens are also lovely.

It is really nice - I just ordered a full bottle.

Thank you for the review! Violet-leaning blue has been my kind of blue lately.

May I clarify the color of the sheen? You describe it as "crimson", but on your photographs I see a kind of copper color sheen. The reason I ask is that some blue-blacks do sheen in a nice copper color (for example Sailor Jentle Blue Black or Krishna Christmas Eve), while other blues and blue-blacks sheen red or magenta. I'm personally a big fan of copper sheen on blue, a shown on your photographs--as opposed to red or magenta.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thank you for the review! Violet-leaning blue has been my kind of blue lately.

May I clarify the color of the sheen? You describe it as "crimson", but on your photographs I see a kind of copper color sheen. The reason I ask is that some blue-blacks do sheen in a nice copper color (for example Sailor Jentle Blue Black or Krishna Christmas Eve), while other blues and blue-blacks sheen red or magenta. I'm personally a big fan of copper sheen on blue, a shown on your photographs--as opposed to red or magenta.

Thank you for your kind comments. Let's just say the sheen is a red leaning copper color and it is quite pronounced.

That does sound beautiful, thanks for the description!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 2 months later...

I believe "ao" signifies "blue" in modern Japanese. Hence ao-nibi, asa-gao, ao-kuro (aoguro) and so on. It's a handy word for ink-lovers.

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

I believe "ao" signifies "blue" in modern Japanese. Hence ao-nibi, asa-gao, ao-kuro (aoguro) and so on. It's a handy word for ink-lovers.

Thank you for the information. I thought the "ao" had something to do with blue.