Ranga Nib Option

kikopens

I am about to order a pen from RangaPens. I am going with the Medium point but I can't decide which one to go for Jowo or Bock? I would like to have a moderately wet Medium nib which is smooth with a hint of feedback. I have never tried Jowo or Bock nibs that's why I am asking for a suggestion.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• Dip n Scratch

• kikopens

• Yohaanrods

I've tried jowo nibs. Theyre pretty smooth and wet. Never tried bocks' though

Are they rigid or they have some give to them?

Both Jowo and Bock are relatively rigid, Bock is just slightly more springy but don't expect too much.

Both nibs are usually quite smooth, my experience is that Jowo are usually very smooth, Bock has a slight touch more of feedback, that you may actually prefer.

Both nibs are usually sufficiently wet, in few cases I found some nibs had tines slightly too tight which cased them to be dry, a moderate flossing of the nib slit with a piece of old photographic film was sufficient to improve flow.

Hi

I have Medium Jowo nibs in both of my Ranga 8B's and they are both very smooth and deliver a good flow of ink without being too wet. I usually opt for and would recommend Jowo where there is a choice; but having said that I've also had good experiences with Bock.

Al

Hi

I have Medium Jowo nibs in both of my Ranga 8B's and they are both very smooth and deliver a good flow of ink without being too wet. I usually opt for and would recommend Jowo where there is a choice; but having said that I've also had good experiences with Bock.

Al

I ordered for a Ranga 8 with a JoWo nib and also asked for a spare Bock nib too. When in need, I will take out the nib and feed and put the other one in. If I really like the Bock nib too, I will get another Ranga pen threaded for a Bock nib.

Thanks to all btw. I appreciate your help!

I ordered for a Ranga 8 with a JoWo nib and also asked for a spare Bock nib too. When in need, I will take out the nib and feed and put the other one in. If I really like the Bock nib too, I will get another Ranga pen threaded for a Bock nib.

Thanks to all btw. I appreciate your help!

Jowo and Bock housings have differing geometry. If your Bock nib comes in a Bock housing you will have to pull the nib to mount it on the Jowo feed in the Jowo housing

Add lightness and simplicate.

the bock EF I got with mine had baby's bottom.

I swapped it for bock titanium EF since I couldn't order it with an EF ti nib from ranga and love it.

My 8c eyedropper has a JoWo EF.

They're friction fit, so to put the JoWo in, you'll have to pull out the bock nib and slide the JoWo in. They don't thread in interchangeably.

JoWo nibs are nails, Bock can be quite springy, but Bock is more prone to baby's bottom.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Has anyone ever had a Bock or Jowo #6 nib on a ebonite feed as a ED pen?

Just wondered. I have been rolling with Kanwrite in Ranga ED's.

Bock nibs are struck from thinner plate and won't go in a section originally made for a ebonite feed & a Kanwrite nib.

That's my 2 pence worth. I don't fancy C/C Ranga's. The old-fashioned feed is easier to strip & clean.

Has anyone ever had a Bock or Jowo #6 nib on a ebonite feed as a ED pen?

Just wondered. I have been rolling with Kanwrite in Ranga ED's.

Bock nibs are struck from thinner plate and won't go in a section originally made for a ebonite feed & a Kanwrite nib.

That's my 2 pence worth. I don't fancy C/C Ranga's. The old-fashioned feed is easier to strip & clean.

absolutely, I have more than one.

I experienced your same problem with the Kanwrite being too thick, but I have other Ranga EDs with Bock nibs, you just need to ask Mr. Kandan when you order an ED pen to use a Bock nib (they will do it for you at a slight extra cost).

Here are a model 8 ED

fpn_1561157346__img_2690-3_ramga_8_ed.jp

a model 3C ED

fpn_1561157410__img_2692-3_ranga_3c_ed.j

a model 8B ED

fpn_1561157498__img_2694-3_ranga_8b_ed.j

all have Bock nibs (marked Conklin but made by Bock)

Edited by sansenri

I presently have a Ranga 4 in brown/black ebonite. Like your first pen it resembles combed Staffordshire Slipware pottery. I think that I like the ebonite where the vein is in the form of a spiral better. I was inclining towards a rod that was curry coloured (yellow/brown) & black. I don't remember what Ranga calls it.

Taste is a very personal thing and those Special ebonites aren't to my taste.

They resemble the endpapers of an old book

But now Ranga have come up with some new acrylics & my imagination stirs.....

interesting, I was totally unaware of Staffordshire Slipware pottery...

no doubt the ripple (this is what the Indian combed design is called) is an ancient method of producing a pattern in a material (like ebonite or pottery) before it is "cooked".

I do like the ripple design too. They are different ornations, the ripple design is very classic in Indian ebonite, so in fact, although I like the cleaner colours of the premium ebonite, I also do like the traditional look of the rippled ebonite. (The regular ebonite also comes in mottled finish.)

fpn_1559258021__p1180428-3_ranga_pens_vs

PS the yellow red (renamed mustard pink, because regular ebonite colours are never pure, and Ranga customers complained that they would have expected yellow and red...) is also a very traditional colour (it's the one on the far right, while the model 5 is in mottled brown)

fpn_1561194692__img_1850-3_ranga_5_full_

sansenri: Post #13, the top pen. Is that a standard pen or a custom order?

I was thinking about the issue of burping. I don't see any ebonite feeds made with more sophisticated combs, if that would reduce the chances of the pen burping.

It would be worth the extra money.