The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Platinum Preppy Fountain Pen Review

fountain pen platimum preppy calligraphy inkpen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sunilscallipgraphie

sunilscallipgraphie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:15

Hello FPN Group,

Recently I have ordered a Platinum Preppy EF 02 Fountain Pen, Made in Japan, it is a very low cost and is affordable by anyone who wants to test it at-least once. The price in INR is about 350.

The nib is made up of steel and the body is plastic. The grip section, screws off and by default it comes with one cartridge. The only thing troubles is that the cartridge is more expensive, but you once the cartridge is empty you can remove it and can convert it to eye dropper by applying silicon grease.

But one thing I need to say is it writes like a charm.

Attached Images

• platimum-preppy.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:21

I think these are brilliant pens with incredible nibs. I have a good handfull of them and find the 0.2mm like yours astonishingly good value.
Looking forward to seeing many more reviews from you here.  :)

#3 sunilscallipgraphie

sunilscallipgraphie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:38

I think these are brilliant pens with incredible nibs. I have a good handfull of them and find the 0.2mm like yours astonishingly good value.
Looking forward to seeing many more reviews from you here.  :)

Yes sure, thanks for encouragement it will boost me to provide more reviews. I will sure share some of the more detailed description on this.

#4 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:38

I really like the look of these pens, if you want a very low priced usable pen then the Preppy is ideal.

I understand your point on the cost of the cartridges, I appreciate that the Preppy converter increases the cost but that will fix the issue, as will refilling the cartridge with a syringe. If you decide to convert the pen to an eye dropper ( please let us know the results) then you will also need a rubber O ring to secure the joint.

Edited by Beechwood, 14 June 2019 - 12:57.

#5 sunilscallipgraphie

sunilscallipgraphie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:42

I really like the look of these pens, if you want a very low priced useable pen then the Preppy is ideal.

I understand your point on the cost of the cartridges, I appreciate that the Preppy converter increases the cost but that will fix the issue, as will refilling the cartridge with a syringe. If you decide to convert the pen to an eye dropper ( please let us know the results) then you will also need a rubber O ring to secure the joint.

Yes I will try to make it eye-dropper and share my experience with the group to do this. O ring may be optional but it is recommended by professionals.

#6 Mr5x5

Mr5x5

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:53

Nice penmanship.  I really like the Preppy and heard that the nib is the same as on the Plasir.  I just wish the converter didn't cost more than the pen!

#7 alanyip

alanyip

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:49

Although the price of Preppy is very low, its nib is good to write. When you convert it to an eye dropper, it becomes fantastic!

Preppy-eye-dropper.jpg

I have been using the pens for more than half a year in eye dropper mode. No leakage! Of course, I added an O ring and used Vaseline on the screw. 

#8 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2019 - 15:17

I also encourage you to write more reviews, but they more properly belong in the Fountain Pen Review forum rather than Pen History. Thanks.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain pen, platimum preppy, calligraphy, inkpen

Sponsored Content

|