Sailor Pro Gear Vs Sailor 1911 - Which One?

KyleClapton

61 members have voted

1. 1. Sailor Pro Gear or Sailor 1911

• Sailor Pro Gear Classic Large size 21K Nib
    • Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sapporo 14K Nib
    • Sailor Pro Gear II Sigma Large size 21K Nib
    • Sailor Pro Gear II Sigma Slim 14K Nib
    • Sailor 1911 Large 14K Nib
    • Sailor 1911 Standard 21K Nib
    • Sailor 1911 Standard 14K Nib

The devil is in the details of "and such". Some Muji notebooks and Daiso notebooks that are quite cheap proved to be very good for fountain pen use; some others not so.

Now, I'm not trying to make Japan the centre of the fountain pen hobby universe. Muji and Daiso are great examples, and good for bringing up in discussion on FPN — being a global community of hobbyists — because as manufacturers they have retail presence internationally with their own branded stores 'everywhere' in Asia, Europe, Australia and North America; and, of course, the Japanese know how to make good products (but of course not every consumer product that comes out of Japan is good quality).

Rhodia notepads aren't that expensive even in Australia (where almost everything imported from Japan or Europe, or even North America, is expensive), and in Europe they're just common and economical.

Yes!!!!, now you are talking my language.

Last week my daughter bought me a very small notepad from Daiso for like under $2, mind u it was small, and the ink shows on the other side since its paper is thin, but it was very fountain pen friendly. I really liked it.

I never actually visited a Daiso store in person, but there seem to be some hope. I will go with my daughter next time. I do use notebooks alot at work, as I do alot of my work and ideas on paper, while others use white board.

I am not really sure about Rhodia, but early on I ruled it out since I use the notebook as other use scrap papers. I run through them at a very alarming rate :)

Thank you my friend for the good pointers. I will check Daiso and Muji and see how it goes. This is really my biggest problem in this whole fountain pen thing. Pens and ink are easy, it is the paper that I need to sort out.

Edited by salmasry

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KyleClapton

• A Smug Dill

• samasry

• Mongoosey

Rhodia notepads aren't that expensive even in Australia (where almost everything imported from Japan or Europe, or even North America, is expensive), and in Europe they're just common and economical.

In Holland, Rhodia is largely confined to pen shops (which are few and far between) whereas Oxford can be be found pretty much everywhere. Oxford is considerably cheaper, considerably more consistent (no discernible difference between front- and backside of page), uses 90 g/m^2 paper and is much more pleasant to write on (in my opinion). I buy 36-page A4 notebooks at 1.75 each; these offer a lot of writng surface in a slim notebook (slim is important; thick notebooks always make me struggle). I’ve rarely used anything else for a long time.

Still thinking about what I am going to write in the one Tomoe River notebook I have, though. It’s sitting there, staring at me, challenging me.

@TheDutchGuy , I don't recognise Oxford as a paper product brand. Just to clarify, that simply means I don't recall seeing Oxford paper products at all in places like (Australian) national retail chains such as Officeworks (for office products) or Dymocks (books and stationery), 'boutique' books and stationery shops (such as Berkeleow), or large new agencies that carry stationery here. Whereas I've seen Rhodia, Leuchtturm1917, Paperblanks and (horror of horrors!) Moleskine aplenty everywhere I look, including in the US, Germany, Italy and Singapore in the little bit of travelling I did in the last ten years; but, to be fair, when I travel I don't tend to drop in to the equivalent of Officeworks, but only places like boutique book stores, shops that stock a significant range of pens (irrespective of whether they are pen shops), or very large bookstores like Barnes & Noble.

I was in Amsterdam for a little while for work, and was back once briefly since, but I wasn't doing much shopping then so I didn't take note. (I did pick up three fountain pens from a department store — probably de Bijenkorf — in central Amsterdam.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I was in Amsterdam for a little while for work, and was back once briefly since, but I wasn't doing much shopping then so I didn't take note. (I did pick up three fountain pens from a department store — probably de Bijenkorf — in central Amsterdam.)

400 meters from that department store is Akkerman, one of the finest pen shops in Holland :-).

In Holland, Rhodia is largely confined to pen shops (which are few and far between) whereas Oxford can be be found pretty much everywhere. Oxford is considerably cheaper, considerably more consistent (no discernible difference between front- and backside of page), uses 90 g/m^2 paper and is much more pleasant to write on (in my opinion). I buy 36-page A4 notebooks at 1.75 each; these offer a lot of writng surface in a slim notebook (slim is important; thick notebooks always make me struggle). I’ve rarely used anything else for a long time.

Still thinking about what I am going to write in the one Tomoe River notebook I have, though. It’s sitting there, staring at me, challenging me.

I found Oxford being sold in the US, I will look into it. This might be a very good option. Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

My latest wish-list (hopefully I can get one before Christmas)

Sailor KOP Pro Gear

post-145550-0-08687000-1565676850_thumb.jpg

Sailor Sparkling Wine

post-145550-0-17309500-1565676829_thumb.jpg

Sailor Shikiori Spring Blue

post-145550-0-71785300-1565676149_thumb.jpg

Edited by KyleClapton

:D Nice to meet you :D

Sailor Shikiori Spring Blue

Personally I still prefer the dark green one in that series, but I don't have access to one and certainly don't have your photography skills (and your camera equipment, too! Mine need fixing... some time soon) to showcase it as a worthy rival. :)

Aside: My Pilot Elite 95s and Platinum Classic Ink iron-gall ink colours I ordered from Pensachi.com should have arrived today, but my local post office has not been as efficient as it ought to have been. Delivery tomorrow, fingers crossed.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Personally I still prefer the dark green one in that series, but I don't have access to one and certainly don't have your photography skills (and your camera equipment, too! Mine need fixing... some time soon) to showcase it as a worthy rival. :)

Aside: My Pilot Elite 95s and Platinum Classic Ink iron-gall ink colours I ordered from Pensachi.com should have arrived today, but my local post office has not been as efficient as it ought to have been. Delivery tomorrow, fingers crossed.

The dark green one is nice, but it is just too dark for me. I prefer lighter shade of green.

I hope you get your parcel soon. Finger crossed for you too

Love me some Pro Gear, even if it is the chubby one.

27065428157_c744a72d01_k.jpg

Chubby but still very attractive. Is it the KOP?