Sailor Pro Gear Vs Sailor 1911 - Which One?

KyleClapton

61 members have voted

1. 1. Sailor Pro Gear or Sailor 1911

• Sailor Pro Gear Classic Large size 21K Nib
    • Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sapporo 14K Nib
    • Sailor Pro Gear II Sigma Large size 21K Nib
    • Sailor Pro Gear II Sigma Slim 14K Nib
    • Sailor 1911 Large 14K Nib
    • Sailor 1911 Standard 21K Nib
    • Sailor 1911 Standard 14K Nib

Hello,

Sailor is my favorite brand so far. I am really into Pro Gear collection, especially the large size of Classic model.

I also found on instagram #sailorpen many users have Pro Gear models, just few feature 1911 model.

I am not sure if it is correct or not that Pro Gear model is kind of more famous than 1911 model.

So I make this poll to check which model of Sailor is their flagship.

post-145550-0-57079600-1560476551_thumb.jpg

:bunny01: My latest photo of Sailor nibs

:D Nice to meet you :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KyleClapton

• A Smug Dill

• samasry

• Mongoosey

KoP is the flagship.

Yes, I forgot to mention KOP. Maybe because it is way out of my budget, so I rarely think about it.

Yep, KoP. I can't afford it either.

But after that, I would say the standard 1911, with the 21 k nib. The 21 k nib is unique in the pen world for this kind of pen.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

KyleClapton,

I purchased a Sapporo several years ago. Cosmetically I prefer the squared ends compared to the rounded ends of the 1911. While I have no issues with the nib or filling system, in hindsight the pen is a little small for my relatively small hands.

If I could do it over again, I would have bought a full size Pro Gear.

Regards,

Craig

Definitely the 11-3527 Sailor Pro Gear Sigma II Realo 21K, I have one of these and perhaps five 1911L and the sigma realo has the best out of the box nib writing experience.

It is $100+ more compared to the 1911L 21K, but it is worth it. In terms of looks, it is subjective, it would be up to you if you like it or hate it. For me I am not a big fan of the shape of the clip, it looks like fake pelikan, but the rest of the pen is just AWESOME.

Perhaps the older version 11-3926 of the Pro Gear sigma Realo is the same nib quality, but I have not tried it.

Good luck

Edited by salmasry

Generally I find the ProGear models are more pocket friendly (shirt breast pocket) than the Cigar shaped ones. They tend to be slightly shorter and the clips easier and more functional. But aesthetically I prefer those patterned after the Sheaffer Balance.

My Website

OP I think what you are seeing g on IG is that most of the colorful limited edition store Sailors are based on the Pro Gear model. I am not sure it is more popular here, but it must be in Japan as it is the basis for most of these colorful pens.

I personally prefer the classic 1911 shape and the regular KOP more, but the pro gear does allow for more fun cap top designs. The one store LE I bought is a pro gear realo and the cap top has lovely raden as a decorative element.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Generally I find the ProGear models are more pocket friendly (shirt breast pocket) than the Cigar shaped ones. They tend to be slightly shorter and the clips easier and more functional. But aesthetically I prefer those patterned after the Sheaffer Balance.

True

The ProGear Realo is 135 mm

The ProGear Realo Sigma II is 138 mm

The 1911L cigar shaped is 141 mm

I do not feel that the Realo sigma II is that short compared to the 1911L. The Progear realo sigma II is really an amazing pen, it has its own unique style within the Sailor lineup, even compared to what other pen manufacturers do offer.

The Progear realo sigma II is really an amazing pen, it has its own unique style within the Sailor lineup, even compared to what other pen manufacturers do offer.

+1

I especially like how the clip compliments the ink window when capped. The aesthetics of the pen strike such a chord.

Yep, KoP. I can't afford it either.

But after that, I would say the standard 1911, with the 21 k nib. The 21 k nib is unique in the pen world for this kind of pen.

Erick

I see. It is true that I only see Sailor offer 21K nib. Other brands that I know only offer 14K or 18K. Do you find any difference among those 3 types of nibs?

KyleClapton,

I purchased a Sapporo several years ago. Cosmetically I prefer the squared ends compared to the rounded ends of the 1911. While I have no issues with the nib or filling system, in hindsight the pen is a little small for my relatively small hands.

If I could do it over again, I would have bought a full size Pro Gear.

Regards,

Craig

I also find square ends more attractive than the rounded one. It is why my heart tends to go with Pro Gear shape. My hand is not so big so I enjoy both Sapporo and Pro Gear Full size. But talking about the nib, both Pro gear and 1911 are same to me.

Definitely the 11-3527 Sailor Pro Gear Sigma II Realo 21K, I have one of these and perhaps five 1911L and the sigma realo has the best out of the box nib writing experience.

It is $100+ more compared to the 1911L 21K, but it is worth it. In terms of looks, it is subjective, it would be up to you if you like it or hate it. For me I am not a big fan of the shape of the clip, it looks like fake pelikan, but the rest of the pen is just AWESOME.

Perhaps the older version 11-3926 of the Pro Gear sigma Realo is the same nib quality, but I have not tried it.

Good luck

Interesting information. I though Realo and normal Pro Gear has the same nib as I can't find any difference in appearance of nib between those 2 models. Therefore, I tend to chose Pro Gear for its reasonable price. As you said Sigma Realo's nib has the best writing experience, then I will have to try it!

Oh yes, it makes sense that the size of Pro Gear is easier to carry around in pocket. Maybe it is one the reason to make it more attractive than 1911

OP I think what you are seeing g on IG is that most of the colorful limited edition store Sailors are based on the Pro Gear model. I am not sure it is more popular here, but it must be in Japan as it is the basis for most of these colorful pens.

I personally prefer the classic 1911 shape and the regular KOP more, but the pro gear does allow for more fun cap top designs. The one store LE I bought is a pro gear realo and the cap top has lovely raden as a decorative element.

I found some LE models with 1911 in Japan, but it seems the trend is for Pro Gear now as current available LE models are all Pro Gear. I think Sailor has some data to go to the decision of making more Pro Gear Models. And as you said, it is more fund with the logo on the top of cap. I usually take pictures of the logo on top of cap as it is so beautiful to me.

One of my photo of Sailor Pro Gear's cap

post-145550-0-98639300-1560745100_thumb.jpg

Among Sailor fountain pen models, I favour the full-sized Professional Gear over both the Profit21 (aka 1911 Large) and the Pro Gear Slim, but I like the form factor of the koshu-inden/kabazaiku pens most of all. (We do have a Sailor KOP — or, more precisely, a Kaga maki-e kinsai in the KOP form factor that I bought for my fiancée — in this household, but frankly the larger size body and/or nib does nothing for me.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Interesting information. I though Realo and normal Pro Gear has the same nib as I can't find any difference in appearance of nib between those 2 models. Therefore, I tend to chose Pro Gear for its reasonable price. As you said Sigma Realo's nib has the best writing experience, then I will have to try it!

I do not know the difference between real pro gear nib and normal pro gear, as I do not own normal pro gear.

I do know that the 1911L and the realo pro gear are the same size, but the 1911L comes in gold or silver 21K, while the pro gear realo sigma 11-3527 comes ONLY in Two tone 21k. The difference to which I referred, was the nib tuning. The nib on the 11-3527 pro gear realo sigma is highly tuned and highly precise and smooth, when u compare it to the 1911L nib. This is from my limited sample of the pens, but for me personally, my next pen, I would definitely get the pro gear and not the 1911L.

Among Sailor fountain pen models, I favour the full-sized Professional Gear over both the Profit21 (aka 1911 Large) and the Pro Gear Slim, but I like the form factor of the koshu-inden/kabazaiku pens most of all. (We do have a Sailor KOP — or, more precisely, a Kaga maki-e kinsai in the KOP form factor that I bought for my fiancée — in this household, but frankly the larger size body and/or nib does nothing for me.)

I had chance to take picture of Koshu Inden and kabazaiku. I have to say they are very beautiful, especially kabazaiku. I am impressed with the texture of the wooden body

post-145550-0-26404100-1560751694_thumb.jpgpost-145550-0-29547000-1560751729_thumb.jpg

I do not know the difference between real pro gear nib and normal pro gear, as I do not own normal pro gear.

I do know that the 1911L and the realo pro gear are the same size, but the 1911L comes in gold or silver 21K, while the pro gear realo sigma 11-3527 comes ONLY in Two tone 21k. The difference to which I referred, was the nib tuning. The nib on the 11-3527 pro gear realo sigma is highly tuned and highly precise and smooth, when u compare it to the 1911L nib. This is from my limited sample of the pens, but for me personally, my next pen, I would definitely get the pro gear and not the 1911L.

Thanks a lot salmasry. Talking about the tuning of bi-color in compared with pure 21K nib, I remember that I heard somewhere that some users also find bi-color 21k nib of Sailor give better writing experience than the mono-tone 21K.

Thanks a lot salmasry. Talking about the tuning of bi-color in compared with pure 21K nib, I remember that I heard somewhere that some users also find bi-color 21k nib of Sailor give better writing experience than the mono-tone 21K.

:thumbup: Best of luck, and hopefully you get an amazing copy of the pen that you choose.

My vote is black 1911 Large, 21K Broad nib. Mine just arrived and I love it.

Although I am not really into black color but I have to say Black pen has a classic beauty and never out of date.

I don't have picture of 1911 Large so I would like to share with you my picture for 1911 Standard with Zoom nib

post-145550-0-41747400-1560904532_thumb.jpg

post-145550-0-93120000-1560904555_thumb.jpg