The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Lamy Joy Vs. Safari/vista Feeds And Ink Starvation Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 emceeATD

emceeATD

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:33

So first I have a question and then hopefully some troubleshooting.

For the past couple of weeks I've been writing with a Vista with a 1.5mm nib and a Joy with a 1.9mm nib. Despite having the smaller nib, the Vista has consistent ink starvation issues that get really frustrating and it's not really been an issue on the Joy.

Does anyone know if Lamy uses a different feed on the Joy to compensate for the wider nibs people will presumably be using on them?

Has anyone else had this problem with the 1.5 on a Vista/Safari/, Al-Star? I've tried cleaning the pen, flushing the feed, and even replacing the nib with another 1.5 and have still had consistent issues. Even priming the feed only gives extremely temporary relief. I really want to love this pen as, when it works, it's smooth and the line width is nearly perfect for what I use it for, but all of my writing sessions with it have quickly ended in frustration.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Sponsored Content

#2 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:49

Its the same on all their models IIRC.
Check with a loupe if the feed is as it should be, i.e. it doesnt have imperfection from the injection moulding process.
In the most extreme cases, you can widen the feeds channels with a surgical knife (exacto or something similar) but take heed: needs a steady hand and you cant go back once you made the cut.

#3 bogiesan

bogiesan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 13:46

Might just be the slit in the Vista’s nib. Try flossing it.

Are the nibs compatible? Swap them.
I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

#4 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 15:28

With my seven Vistas it's always a problem with the ink (Rouge Hématite) or ink that dried out; I've rotated something like 35 inks in them. You can do a deep cleaning, disassemble the pen, the feed is made of two parts, make sure to thoroughly clean the two small "rails" on top of the bottom part, this should take care of the problem, you could leave everything soaking for 24 hours to make sure. In the case of Rouge Hématite I took a knife and gently went over those rails, helps the pens write reliably even though eventually that ink will clog up everything.

Whatever you do, leave the nibs alone.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#5 emceeATD

emceeATD

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 15:59

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely an issue with the feed, but there's certainly nothing visibly wrong with it and this was a problem out of the box and after a clean. The first ink I tried was Lamy Amazonite and as it was my first go with that ink I thought that might be the problem, so I switched to Lamy Turquoise and the flow was better, but the problems persisted.
I'll try taking the feed out and cleaning it more thoroughly.

#6 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:09

I've had occasional problems with ink starvation on the Safari when ink clings to the side of the converter and doesn't flow to the feed.  Usually tapping the section with a finger helps restore the ink flow.

Sponsored Content

|