The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conid King Size

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OptiQ

OptiQ

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:10

Dear all,

My grail pen is the Conid Kingsize in Ebonite(and for this pen i m selling almost all my pens).

If some of you have the pen please be kind and tell some particular things about this pen.Please to not laught about the questions below:

1.How many turns of the cap will uncap the pen?

2.In Ebonite finish are you still able to see the second chamber of ink?-for the moment the CAISO sistem is unavailble and the pen will fly sometimes.

3.For long writing sesions you need to unscrew the top cap to have a continuous ink flow?

4.If some of you have the pen in Ebonite for more than a yaer or two -how does it look?

5.I want to buy a F nib in rhodium trim-your nib's have feedback or are buttery smooth.

Thank you for your answears and time,

Sponsored Content

#2 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 16:00

I have an acrylic Kingsize but most of my answers should apply to the ebonite. My answers below in red.

About 1 3/4 turns.

2.In Ebonite finish are you still able to see the second chamber of ink?-for the moment the CAISO sistem is unavailble and the pen will fly sometimes.

The ink window shows the smaller of the two chambers, which is the one you may want to empty before flying (I'm not sure which chamber you consider the second chamber but I assume you mean the smaller one). You can't see the larger chamber unless you get a demonstrator, which you could do and still get an ebonite cap.

3.For long writing sesions you need to unscrew the top cap to have a continuous ink flow?

It depends on how long your long writing sessions are. I think the smaller chamber holds about a cartridge worth of ink which is enough for a few pages of writing (this varies depending on the width and wetness of the nib). If your long writing sessions require more than this you will need to unscrew the top. I think I have to unscrew the top cap 2-3 times while the pen is inked to use all 3ml of ink.

4.If some of you have the pen in Ebonite for more than a yaer or two -how does it look?

I don't have an ebonite Conid but ebonite should hold up well if properly cared for (i.e., not leaving in direct sunlight). I do have a Sailor ebonite pen and it looks great after many years. 

5.I want to buy a F nib in rhodium trim-your nib's have feedback or are buttery smooth.

I don't have Conid's rhodium coated nib but their standard gold and titanium nibs are both very smooth (the titanium has a very soft feedback). Rhodium coatings can sometimes add feedback to a nib but Conid could make sure the nib is smooth before shipping if that's what you want. They can also do other nib work if you want more customization (e.g., stub, oblique). 

I hope this helps; Conid makes wonderful pens that should last a couple lifetimes. 

(Edit to make things red)

Edited by Mulrich, 13 June 2019 - 16:00.

#3 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 22:32

It's my next grail pen now that I have my first one (a visconti divina metro in stacked celluloid and sterling silver.) I want the clear demonstrator though.

All the info I can provide is that ebonite will wear like iron. It's kind of the king of fountain pen materials. Just don't leave it sitting in direct sunlight or somewhere really, really hot like a car glovebox (like literally ANY pan material) or dunk it in water warmer than lukewarm (it can turn chocolate brown, like a badly bleached shirt. Cold/tepid water is perfectly safe, it's the heat that damages it) 

Edited by Honeybadgers, 13 June 2019 - 22:32.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#4 OptiQ

OptiQ

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:52

I have an acrylic Kingsize but most of my answers should apply to the ebonite. My answers below in red.

About 1 3/4 turns.

The ink window shows the smaller of the two chambers, which is the one you may want to empty before flying (I'm not sure which chamber you consider the second chamber but I assume you mean the smaller one). You can't see the larger chamber unless you get a demonstrator, which you could do and still get an ebonite cap.

It depends on how long your long writing sessions are. I think the smaller chamber holds about a cartridge worth of ink which is enough for a few pages of writing (this varies depending on the width and wetness of the nib). If your long writing sessions require more than this you will need to unscrew the top. I think I have to unscrew the top cap 2-3 times while the pen is inked to use all 3ml of ink.

I don't have an ebonite Conid but ebonite should hold up well if properly cared for (i.e., not leaving in direct sunlight). I do have a Sailor ebonite pen and it looks great after many years. 

I don't have Conid's rhodium coated nib but their standard gold and titanium nibs are both very smooth (the titanium has a very soft feedback). Rhodium coatings can sometimes add feedback to a nib but Conid could make sure the nib is smooth before shipping if that's what you want. They can also do other nib work if you want more customization (e.g., stub, oblique). 

I hope this helps; Conid makes wonderful pens that should last a couple lifetimes. 

(Edit to make things red)

Thank you very much for your time and answears.It is clearly now that i will buy the pen.

Many thanks one again !

#5 OptiQ

OptiQ

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:52

It's my next grail pen now that I have my first one (a visconti divina metro in stacked celluloid and sterling silver.) I want the clear demonstrator though.

All the info I can provide is that ebonite will wear like iron. It's kind of the king of fountain pen materials. Just don't leave it sitting in direct sunlight or somewhere really, really hot like a car glovebox (like literally ANY pan material) or dunk it in water warmer than lukewarm (it can turn chocolate brown, like a badly bleached shirt. Cold/tepid water is perfectly safe, it's the heat that damages it) 

Thank you very much for time and answears.

Sponsored Content

|