• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• 1nkulus

• LyaT

• Gobblecup

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, unfortunately my wallet is allergic to new pens, and used 620's cost more now than when new....or so it seems.

All I have is a 605, which I got on sale for E99 at Galeiria Kaufhaus a long time ago.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've only ever seen one - San Francisco - so I bought it! Very nice pen but I'll just quit while I'm ahead!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I've only ever seen one - San Francisco - so I bought it! Very nice pen but I'll just quit while I'm ahead!

The San Francisco took me forever to get! Then suddenly three came up for sale last month and for once I didn't get there too late or get bid into oblivion.

The prices do seem to have creeped up on these. After hesitating and missing out on the M800 brown tortoise release a few years back, I decided to just bite the bullet and pick up the last M620 pen I needed for the set before the prices went up even more. Are they just really rare? I haven't seen any numbers on how many were produced.

I have the whole set which I acquired all at once in a bulk purchase. Beautiful pens. They arent rare but they dont come up for sale very often. Prices have climbed. Shanghai and Athens can bring in over $1000 each at auction with San Francisco not far behind.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have the whole set which I acquired all at once in a bulk purchase. Beautiful pens. They arent rare but they dont come up for sale very often. Prices have climbed. Shanghai and Athens can bring in over $1000 each at auction with San Francisco not far behind.

Thanks for the info. I absolutely love your site! Does it make much of a difference to the resale value to have the original box and papers? Also, What other Pelikan nib assemblies work with these pens?

Anybody have any good suggestions for displaying these? Sadly, all my glass topped pen cases only hold ten.

As far as these sets go I think this is one of the best looking. That aside there are a couple in the mix that that I just cannot see myself buying so doubt I will ever attempt to get them all. add to that the fact that those i find most attractive,... well they are on the high side of my financial/aesthetic cost/benefit calc But ....... the fact that they are in the M600 range is a huge plus for me.

Thanks for the info. I absolutely love your site! Does it make much of a difference to the resale value to have the original box and papers? Also, What other Pelikan nib assemblies work with these pens?

Anybody have any good suggestions for displaying these? Sadly, all my glass topped pen cases only hold ten.

Thanks for reading the blog. Box and papers always matter for some. I do believe it conveys a small premium as it relates to resale. Only one of mine is without the original box & papers. Off the top of my head, compatible nib assemblies should include M2xx, M4xx, M6xx, and M101N nibs.

I have no good solution for display unfortunately. I have to hide all of my pens from my wife so that is largely a non-issue for me.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Hi all,

My M620 collection consists of one Grand Place, purchased new in the box many moons ago at the DC Supershow. It is a real beauty.

If I could purchase the rest of the series at the Grand Place price I would jump on it. Let's see, $199 per pen times …

I hope you enjoy them all!

Regards,

Craig

I still have a complete collection of the M620s having sold an earlier complete collection with regret. It was a painstaking effort to re-find one after another not to mention some prices of the pen were really on a high side plus minus the box/papers.

My M620s collection also serves me a complete M600s old/new style collection until the issuance of the M600 orange, white, turquoise, violet of which I did not proceed to purchase them..

I'd love having some more of the city series, but given the prices I find it hard.

I have only the Shanghai, bought five years ago for 100 euro in a shop that wanted to get rid of the Pelikan brand, together with a m450 green tortoise for 220 euro and a red m205 for 35 euro.

It was a lot of money for me so all at once but I think I have been lucky to be in that shop right in that moment, and to have quickly decided to buy all three because now the prices have increased frantically.

They had other pens in the shop with reduced prices, like the m420 and the m625 aubergine, which I didn't buy and were quickly sold some time (days?

hours?) after.

But I'm quite happy with Shanghai, m450 and m205 red.

I think one of the reasons it took me so long to buy all twelve was the ever increasing price tag. Part of me kept thinking how insane it was to spend all this money on a pen because it was a different colored piece of plastic to all the other ones I already had. It reminded me of other artificially scare special edition products, like Beanie Babies.

But these are sort of my Cinderella pens. They fit perfectly in my hand, they're quite light weight so I don't get sore writing with them for long periods, the nibs are very smooth, the piston mechanism holds quite a bit of ink, and I've yet to have one leak. And yes, they're pretty.

Thank goodness my husband hasn't asked how much I paid for the last one, a Place de la Concorde off eBay. My first, second, and third most expensive pens I've ever bought were all from this series.

The Grand Place was the only one that really talked to me so it is the only one in my set. I did later buy the M800 Grand Place when it was issued.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have no good solution for display unfortunately. I have to hide all of my pens from my wife so that is largely a non-issue for me.

What!! After reading your blog, I thought your home must look like a pen museum. Must be hard for you, to hind away those beauties.

I think one of the reasons it took me so long to buy all twelve was the ever increasing price tag. Part of me kept thinking how insane it was to spend all this money on a pen because it was a different colored piece of plastic to all the other ones I already had. It reminded me of other artificially scare special edition products, like Beanie Babies.

But these are sort of my Cinderella pens. They fit perfectly in my hand, they're quite light weight so I don't get sore writing with them for long periods, the nibs are very smooth, the piston mechanism holds quite a bit of ink, and I've yet to have one leak. And yes, they're pretty.

Thank goodness my husband hasn't asked how much I paid for the last one, a Place de la Concorde off eBay. My first, second, and third most expensive pens I've ever bought were all from this series.

The city series are my favorite. You are fortunate to have started early and to have most of them within reasonable price range. Congratulations in finally completing the set!

I couldnt think of starting that collection now. Missing-pens have a couple of them at E700+ per pen, plus VAT for us European buyers. Too much for a M600 with another shell.

My favorite of the series is Piazza Navona. I found one thats new but without box and paper. I dont plan to resell so happily bought it, at a price comparable to a new M600 special edition. I like Athens too, but that one is way too rare and far too expensive.

The Grand Place, was my grail pen for that set....still is.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

There has been a complete set of the CIty Series posted in the Classifieds for some time now. It started with all pieces available and I actually thought briefly about buying the entire set. Five are now showing as having been sold, but the rest are apparently still available.

I don't know the seller and can offer no comment about him/her or the pens. Just pointing out the existence of the post

Speerbob on Ebay has a few too. (No connection, just a satisfied customer.) I already bought his Place de la Concord, mint and uninked. Whose pristine condition I immediately ruined by filling it with some Waterman South Sea Blue. Despite over a decade sitting unused, it writes smoothly and flawlessly.

Hope I'm not being too much of an enabler.

Speerbob on Ebay has a few too. (No connection, just a satisfied customer.) I already bought his Place de la Concord, mint and uninked. Whose pristine condition I immediately ruined by filling it with some Waterman South Sea Blue. Despite over a decade sitting unused, it writes smoothly and flawlessly.

Hope I'm not being too much of an enabler.

I saw those listings a few days ago. I think it started with the entire series. Now only three are left. The popular ones disappear way too quickly!

Luckily, the M600 has never been my poison but there are 4 models from the city series I would like to acquire.

The prices though, are a different matter. headsmack.gif

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.