The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mb Turning Knob Will Not Budge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrp100

mrp100

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 21:30

I have a vintage Monblanc 236 that I was using as a daily writer until a few months ago.  I went to flush and refill it today and could not get the turning knob to move.  It previously took some effort to turn, suggesting that the current cork was a bit on the tight side.  Does anyone know an easy hack to unstuck it?

Sponsored Content

#2 mrp100

mrp100

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 21:33

Sorry about the double post.  Not sure how that happened.

#3 Paul80

Paul80

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:59

Hi

I suppose it depends on why it's stuck, is it the cork stuck to the barrel or the telescoping piston stuck.

Problem is to fix it you will have to remove the section and or the piston knob assembly and IIRC on these pens both are press fit and the barrel can be quite fragile, gently dry heat will help but a cracked barrel is often the result.

You could try pull the nib & feed then soaking the piston with water through the section.

Await dome more advice before proceeding.

#4 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:00

Heres what I would try (for whatever its worth):
1. Force water into the barrel by placing the nib up under reasonably strong pressure running water.
2. Once water gets in then I would hold the pen nib up and make sharp but short turns of the piston back and forth just to get the cork slide over some water. This should then help it move
3. Of this works I would then open and file down the cork

An alternative would be to open the section and with a sharp pointy pick just start tearing up the cork while its stuck in the barrel

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My free restoration service--> link

#5 mrp100

mrp100

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 17:19

Thanks Paul80 and Sia.  I will try to force water into the barrel through the nib and feed (which are not clogged) and see if I can get it loose.

Sponsored Content

|