The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montegrappa Symphony Parchement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 columela

columela

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:19

First Impressions (8/10)
This is an impressive pen, made of the finest materials, even if it has been a bit tarnished by the passing of time. My interest in these old Montegrappas was triggered by a recent purchase of a battered but beautiful Reminiscence Grande model. Looking for information about the pen ended up in the excellent site http://montegrappa-history.com/ whre I found out about the families of Montegrappa pens. So I discovered the Symphony range, and found a beautiful item on ebay at an affordable price
fpn_1560337009__img_3060.jpg
Appearance (10/10)
Even as a battered second hand pen, this is a stunning pen. Pictures do not do justice to the shades and nuances of colour in this Parchement model. The section was stained and required a vigorous cleaning before it could be used. Unfortunately the nib was in need of a lot of care. It only wrote consistently in the reverse position. Otherwise plenty of false starts and skips.
fpn_1560337173__img_3066.jpg
Design/Size/Weight (10/10)
The size of the pen is similar to more famous models like the Pelikan M800 or the  Parker Duofold Centennial. The shape is octogonal as it happens with the Reminiscence.

fpn_1560337212__img_3071.jpg

fpn_1560337256__img_3072.jpg

Some measurements:
Max lenght closed 137 mm
Max width 14.2 mm
lenght posted 170 mm
uncapped 120 mm
The section is made in silver but it is pleasant to use. The silver finial is etched so it can screw the cap and write securely when posted

Nib (10/10)
After some care from nibmesiter éxtraordinaire John Sorowka the writing experience is just wonderful, a juicy, buttery smooth nib, marked medium but a rather thin F line. After the initial disappointment the present experience has made it one of my favourite pens.
The nib has the typical greek etchings in silver over the rhodied 18 K gold. The breathing hole is an inverted heart shape.
fpn_1560337116__img_3063.jpg

fpn_1560337286__img_3067.jpg

Filling System (8/10)
A cartridge-converter system which works. Nothing out of the ordinary, but on the other hand it is difficult to beat the ease of use and convenience of this system.
fpn_1560337156__img_3065.jpg

Cost and Value (9/10)
I paid 219 US dollars fro the original pen and 30 for the repair, so in total around 250 US $. Not bad at all for a remarkable pen. Given the fact that the pen has been out of production for decades , it is difficult to make a true estimate of value in general. For me it has been a successful transaction, but I was lucky.
fpn_1560337072__img_3062.jpg

fpn_1560337136__img_3064.jpg

Conclusion
Before being treated by Mr Sorowka, it was just a beautiful thing to look at. But now it is a truly remarkable pen, with a wonderful flow, no feedback at all. It has a good balance in the hand, particularly when posted. Celluloid has a very special touch, and has some warmth that modern acrylics do not possess. I cannot tire of it .

“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.” Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Sponsored Content

#2 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 20:27

I have one as well, and I agree, it is a great pen.  The only issue I have with it is the number of turns to remove and post the cap.

the Danitrio Fellowship

#3 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 00:35

Congratulations on acquiring a beautiful pen,

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

#4 jchch1950

jchch1950

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:10

Any problems with the celluloid?

#5 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 13:04

Glad the site was useful for you.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#6 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 15:37

that nib looks.... off. Like the shoulders have been pinched hard.

Not my thing, but I just don't get any montegrappas.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#7 doriath19

doriath19

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2019 - 19:19

Very beautiful! Glad you are enjoying your find!

#8 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:03

Nice colour and design, it is an interesting find.

Glad it is writing well again, enjoy the reams of happiness.  thumbup.gif

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Sponsored Content

|