Waterman Gentleman Collar Leak

Andreas Smith

Could anyone help me with a Waterman Gentleman problem? Recently, after years of successful use, ink started leaking out of the gold-plated collar near the nib (at the point where the collar and section join). To my surprise I was able to unscrew the whole nib unit, including the collar, but I couldn't see any evidence of sealant. Are these pens fixable? Do I just need to apply sealant? Thanks for any help.

Edited by Andreas Smith

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Smith

• Left FPN

• Erik Dalton

• ENewton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

It sounds from you description that you have unscrewed the block. It's the inner assembly which holds the nib and feed. Here is one for a Man which is much the same as the Gent.

There is no physical sealing component (gasket or O ring) between these parts. The converter/cartridge seals inside the block.

post-42786-0-08382400-1560271819_thumb.jpg

I suggest you soak all parts in warm soapy water followed by a lengthy dry in a warm place.

Once dry, put a dab of shellac on the thread and screw it back into the grip and hand tighten. Allow 24 hours to dry.

Now you need to check your ink tank. Are you using a converter or cartridge. It sounds like one or tother was not pushed home or is faulty allowing ink past the inner seal.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. However, I've just read your remarks on the convertor problem and, lo and behold, on checking the convertor in the Gentleman I see that it has split! Presumably this is the source of my problem. Do you think it is safe to screw in the nib box to the section without using shellac (with a new convertor of course)?

Edited by Andreas Smith

You could but when inserting a new converter or cartridge one has a tendency to twist at the same time. You would have to ensure twisting anti-clockwise so as to tighten the block in doing so.

Amazing insight Force. Thank you. Love how you come up with these gems of wisdom when it comes to Waterman Pens.

Force, once again thank you for your advice - it's much appreciated! I'll order some of the shellac that's used for ink sacs (I assume this is ok).

My Waterman Gentleman is now resurrected thanks to Force, who kindly sent me instructions, a new converter and some shellac. My first ever attempt to mend a fountain pen! Thank you so much for your help. The Gentleman is an excellent pen, well made and with a good nib and classic appearance.

post-40505-0-81133300-1560597516_thumb.jpg

post-40505-0-12050000-1560597534_thumb.jpg

post-40505-0-97017700-1560597558_thumb.jpg

Oh, good!

A Waterman Gentleman was my first pen, and the only pen I used for about twenty years. I now prefer the Man 100 but still use a Gentleman on a regular basis. In fact, I have two identical Gentleman pens, handy for doing ink comparisons.

I'm not about to become a tinkerer, however. Fortunately, I haven't needed to be. Congratulations on your daring and your success.

I do own a couple of Man 200s, but I would love to have a Man 100 as well. Unfortunately they're expensive even in used condition and I've always been outbid. Oh well, one day - the search for the ultimate pen can last a lifetime!