The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vanishing Point Mechanism Longivity

vanishing point

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:33

How long does the mechanism on the Vanishing point last with normal daily usage? Has anyone faced any issues with it?

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:41

I've never heard of a single one failing.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:42

I own 2 and I use them both daily for the last 3yrs.

#4 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:21

Was asking this cause there are no Pilot services available in India. If it fails, its pretty much the bin. I don't think many pen repairers in India can repair a VP

#5 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:55

The VP/Capless has been in production for over 40 years if I'm not mistaken. It's not changed much in that time and is about as reliable pens come. I would just buy from a reputable seller to ensure you have a warranty. If there are any issues initially, you want to be able to return it for a refund...

Edit: also, why couldn't you just mail it to Pilot for warranty service/repair?

Edited by sirgilbert357, 11 June 2019 - 11:56.

#6 Newton Pens

Newton Pens

Pen Making Nib Grinding Nut

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,970 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 13:35

Edit: also, why couldn't you just mail it to Pilot for warranty service/repair?

This.

Also - very durable.  Probably nothing to worry about.  It's a couple of pieces of plastic that rotate against each other, and a couple of springs.  Sure, you could lose the springs, but don't do that.  :)  Your pen will be fine.

Here's a fun video showing the guts of clicks-

https://www.youtube....h?v=MhVw-MHGv4s

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

#7 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 14:38

I will say that the black PVD of the pusher on my gunmetal VP is starting to show scoring from use and I don't use mine anywhere near every day.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#8 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,802 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 15:25

I used a VP every day at work for several years, opening and closing it frequently as I took notes in meetings. I never saw any sign of wear or felt the mechanism loosening up at all.

ron

#9 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 15:28

I will say that the black PVD of the pusher on my gunmetal VP is starting to show scoring from use and I don't use mine anywhere near every day.

Surface wear is inevitable with PVD. There is no coating that can be applied to a metal that will NOT show wear over time when two pieces of metal rub together like that. This is different than the click mechanism failing to deploy the nib altogether though.

Edited by sirgilbert357, 11 June 2019 - 15:28.

#10 DrDebG

DrDebG

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 17:05

I have had Pilot VPs for well over 15 years and have never had problem with a mechanism.  They have worked well opening and closing with no signs of wear yet.  I have noticed that in my oldest VP, the gold fitting near the plunger is loose, but this hasn't affected the use of the pen.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#11 Orthostylos

Orthostylos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 17:48

I have a faceted stealth Namiki Vanishing Point from 1998 (21 years now) and the mechanism has always worked perfectly. I use it daily, and the clicker shows the appropriate "brassing" which I embrace as war wounds we have gone through together.

VP.jpg

Edited by Orthostylos, 11 June 2019 - 17:50.

#12 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 18:29

Surface wear is inevitable with PVD. There is no coating that can be applied to a metal that will NOT show wear over time when two pieces of metal rub together like that. This is different than the click mechanism failing to deploy the nib altogether though.

Yeah, I know it's going to happen but you'd think they could design a plastic piece in there for the plunger to slide in that would reduce the wear...

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#13 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 20:04

Yeah, I know it's going to happen but you'd think they could design a plastic piece in there for the plunger to slide in that would reduce the wear...

Since most of the other versions of this pen don't suffer from the same wear, designing it differently just for the matte black version would have added to production costs and likely required additional spare parts to be kept on hand solely for the matte black version. It was probably just not cost effective...

#14 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,964 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:56

Let's take your statement of, "they could..." at face value, and accept that the manufacturer has the capability to do so. Why would it, then? Would it significantly increase demand and/or sales of that model of pen? Has it been enough of a deterrent to stop those who like the look of the model from buying it in the first place, with possibly a very small proportion being dissatisfied with the worn-out or 'distressed' look after several years of frequent use, and then a subset again of those pen owners may opt to buy a brand new replacement (as I've also entertained)?

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#15 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:13

And since one is discussing something to reduce wear on the shaft of the button, that means the new part has to be sacrificial -- that is, it will wear faster than the finish of the button. That leads to the possibility of an increasingly wobbly button as even a "low friction bushing" slowly enlarges.

#16 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 17:48

And since one is discussing something to reduce wear on the shaft of the button, that means the new part has to be sacrificial -- that is, it will wear faster than the finish of the button. That leads to the possibility of an increasingly wobbly button as even a "low friction bushing" slowly enlarges.

I honestly don't know if PVD would stand up to repeated friction against even a plastic ring or something. If I had to bet on it, I'd say it would still end up showing wear, maybe just not quite as fast. I think Pilot knows these matte black versions take on a sort of patina and they have zero motivation to change the design to avoid it. Lots of people like the look of patina - and not just with their pens...

#17 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• 2,075 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 18:08

I think Pilot knows these matte black versions take on a sort of patina and they have zero motivation to change the design to avoid it. Lots of people like the look of patina - and not just with their pens...

Transient and imperfect.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#18 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 19:56

I was thinking teflon, not just plain nylon -- but in either case, one is talking about a design change to add an additional point of failure, an additional step in assembly, etc.

#19 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,964 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 23:16

Here's a photo (from last October) of my matte black Pilot Capless Vanishing Point pen, which served for a few years as close to an 'everyday carry' pen as I have in my collection. http://www.fountainp...-pen/?p=4117769

There's no wear or scoring on the surface of the push- (or 'knock', as Pilot seems to call it) button that I can see on it. On that basis, I certainly don't consider the absence of something to protect the finish of any part of the pen, including the push-button aesthetically to be a design shortcoming or undesirable omission in its manufacture.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#20 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,552 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 18:40

I have a Vanishing POint that was bought around 2003 or so. It has been used every single day since. It seems to be just fine. You know, it is not some poorly manufactured desi pen. You need not worry about the mechanism of a Vanishing Point failing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vanishing point

Sponsored Content

|