Pens, Inks For Board Exams

Yohaanrods

Hi everyone, this year I will be writing my boards and I have been a little reluctant to use the ball unless it's really necessary. I have seen previous topics on board exams and found out that pilot blue is a pretty good water resistant ink thats not too expensive. But what about the pen? Do I need one in an extra fine nib? Does anyone know the recent quality of board papers? My budget is on the lower side (1500-2000 RS max)

Could y'all suggest pens that would be suitable?

Thanks in Advance

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yohaanrods

• hari317

• RudraDev

• Honeybadgers

Things must certainly have changed. I appeared in 1992 CBSE 10th. The board recommended the use of a FP with Blue black or black ink. Blue black was by default permanent and i used Chelpark Blue black which used to be ferro gallic (permanent) in those days...

Today I would recommend an uniball air micro(the fine point) or some such pen which flows as nicely as a FP and has very permanent ink.

Pilot blue is quite washed out IME and use a F or M point, easier for the paper checker to read what you have written.

good luck!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Me and most of my friends had used Hero pen with camlin blue ink for board exams (year 2002, 2004).

I haven't used uniball air micro as Hari says but I've used uniball eye micro which also is very good pen to write with and permanent ink, plus it's cheap.

Edited by tsdesai

Thanks hari317 and tsdesai. Although teachers still encourage fps, they are skeptical about one writing exams with them. I will get my hands on the uniball air ball pen

Many of my friends and teachers use the uniball eye pens( red, blue,black)..I've enjoyed the 1.0 point ones which I have enjoyed

another tip is to never take a new FP for an important exam. Use the pen extensively atleast for a month before to get used to it.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks Hari sir. I've got the pilot metro in m nib right now which I plan to use for the boards.You have a point there

I recommend the Pilot Metropolitan in a Fine nib with with the Waterman Mysterious Blue.

This is what I used this year, and I didn't fairly well!

I recommend the Pilot Metropolitan in a Fine nib with with the Waterman Mysterious Blue.

This is what I used this year, and I didn't fairly well!

Edit: *I DID fairly well

Pilot blue black > pilot blue. Less feathering than waterman on (bleep) paper too. Also, pilot blue can't be bought in 350mL bottles for some reason, but pilot red, blue/black and black can. The 350mL bottles are a phenomenal deal, you just need another bottle to refill, because the 350 is meant to refill other bottles.

Also, since you're in india, there's nothing wrong with Bril ink. It's good and reliable. Parker quink is too, I personally quite like the quink blue black.

Go with an EXTREMELY reliable pen with a generous ink capacity and make sure it's full to the brim beforehand.

I'd honestly use either something piston or vac filled, or cartridge filled and have a few cartridges on standby. And a second pen. Just in case. I do the same with pencils. Nothing sucks worse in an exam than clicking your pencil for 2 minutes because you know there's lead in there, but that damn rotring 600 just won't grab it. Better to just switch to the sailor pencil.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thanks Honey Badgers, I'll keep that in mind. I generally use quink. My problem with bril and quink is that they're not water resistant.

Thanks Honey Badgers, I'll keep that in mind. I generally use quink. My problem with bril and quink is that they're not water resistant.

I mean, unless you're writing with a cup of water next to you, it should be fine.

But pilot blue black is extremely water resistant, so that's definitely one of your best value options.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The problem with "washable" inks like Camlin Royal Blue, Quink royal blue, Bril blue, 4001 blue etc is their tendency to fade shortly. This happens due to the bleach used during manufacture of cheap paper to make the paper bright. This bleach acts on the washable ink and fades it shortly. Exam paper is more likely to be of this kind today.

Pilot Blue black is a very good ink and I recommend it fully. Only problem, its not sold by Luxor in India, so you have to import it directly.

Exactly Hari sir, all teachers used to complain when I used bril as the ink used to fade. I'm starting to face that problem with quink blue as well