The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Parker 45 Nib Alternatives

parker 45 nib

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 19:26

I was looking over the chances of getting a Fine or extra-Fine nib for my '45.

I was looking at the used genuine Parker nibs and there was mention of the Moonman 80 nibs.

They are dirt cheap. Will they fit a Parker 45 section without problems?

The 'M' nib in the P45 is a little broad for my liking. I am used to Indian Medium.

I realise that the nib in my '51 is more like Fine/Medium & that is more to my liking.

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 20:47

I don't know about the Moonman pens.  But 45 nibs -- the actual nibs, not the complete assembly -- are really small (and I don't mean the nib width: I mean "if you're not careful taking the nib assembly apart the nib could end up down the drain" small.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 17:15

If you're not in a desperate hurry P45 fines and extra-fines come up frequently on a certain auction site. The steel nibs are usually just as good as the solid gold versions. I don't like the gold plated ones. If you wait for a scrappy-looking pen with the nib you want you will also get it very cheaply. I write with P45s all the time and have 6 ready to go at all times, each with a different nib. The bay is your friend for selection and price.

I don't know the moonman nibs I'm afraid.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#4 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 21:15

:) I like the quote   ……………..  I mean "if you're not careful taking the nib assembly apart the nib could end up down the drain" small.

Agree, the actual nib is very dinky  -  would have thought it much easier to exchange the whole nib unit, if possible.             Have to say that 'Indian Medium is a new one on me.                Found a 45 today with Broad nib - if ever I try to write with a fine it looks like a spider has crawled across the page.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, 45, nib

Sponsored Content

|