Plated Nib On Onoto Model 6234?

PaulS

Obviously once an attractive marbled pen - might this be Wine Pearl or perhaps Pink Pearl - unfortunately now it's a very dull pearl, and there's oxidation at both ends too.

The blind cap is stamped 6234, which appears to be one of several models from the late 1940s - does anyone know what the A8 stands for?

But the main reason for posting is because the nib, though stamped 14c, appears to be showing signs of the gold wearing through - is the white metal steel do people think, and was there a time when you could imprint 14c even if the nib was plated only?

It's a great nib for writing - I could almost be tempted to use the pen it's that good - smoothness and some flex. Thanks for looking and grateful for opinions.

post-125342-0-36659700-1560183674_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-22892700-1560183689_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-05575000-1560183702_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• Cob

• northlodge

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No need to worry about that nib; it is gold as stated. The plating, probably rhodium, is a decorative feature seen these days on many modern pens such as Montblanc and Pelikan etc.

No idea about A8!

The end pieces, of Vulcanite, may easily be restored with Mark Hoover's product. For the rest a good polish with Simichrome or similar will work wonders.

A nice pen.

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

thank you Cob - I imagine there weren't too many U.K. nib makers nearly seventy years back making bi-metalled nibs - it's an attractive little number, and I'm now happier than before.

So the A8 remains a mystery for the present - it's stamped on the blind cap.

In fact I bought a bottle of Mark Hoover's gunge some weeks back, and had some reasonable results on M.T. black hard rubber pens, though with this one, and in view of the terminal parts being small, I might use w. & d. I've a feeling from past experience that when there's a colour loss like this - I've a pinkish Mentmore with similar colour loss - then there's nothing that will retrieve the original colour - a shame.

Not sure of the reason - possibly these wines/pinks are simply fugitive to light, or maybe just a coincidence and this one was caused by sac outgassing.

Edited by PaulS

I didn't know that marbled Onotos were sufferers from outgassing! After all there is no rubber sac to provide the gas is there?

I suppose that certain types of ink may have caused problems.

C.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

of course not - apologies, I had the Mentmore in mind - appreciate the correction for the Onoto. thanks.

These pens come up on the bay quite often, typically minus a pocket clip, correct nib, and an operational filling system. Therefore you could perhaps take the unusual approach of seeking a pen into which to transplant all your good parts.

Alternatively, just donate them to me ;-)

thanks - some worthy suggestions there, but ........................ currently, charity begins at home. :lticaptd: The nib is attractive, I've had Onotos before, but usually earlier ones in BHR which now all given away as I chickened out when it came to renovation. I'm tempted to use this one if I can find the time to make it work reliably.

I have the parts here to make the pen function.

C.

It's a great nib for writing - I could almost be tempted to use the pen it's that good

Surely not, Paul! You'll break the habit of a lifetime!

Regards,

Eachan

have to admit that my last real foray into the world of f.p. writing occurred so long ago I'd be embarrassed to tell you when it was, and in the intervening decades ball pens and biros only made a poor hand look even less appealing. When young I was very bad at spelling - and in my first office job they bought me a dictionary quite soon after joining - though now of course it doesn't matter since the screen corrects my errors when emailing etc.

Reasons for not writing are, possibly …………………….. lack of patience to sit down and compose thoughts - too many other distractions/hobbies - C21 technology allows for immediate connections with which to communicate so why revert to a carrier pigeon when you can send thoughts down the line instantly - spending time on FPN. :)

I do have another interest which consumes much of my time, and which I'm loathe to drop.

Like many of us I dip test all my new acquisitions which is how I discovered this one looked to have addictive powers - I so love the flowing line variation that comes with a good flex nib ……………… sadly the road to hell is paved with all my good intentions - one of which was to write again, though whether I shall achieve this is doubtful.

I'm overwhelmed with the interest in this item ………. will certainly bear Cob's offer in mind which is generous, constructive and very helpful ……… as for the others, what can I say except do I detect some motives of a mercenary nature. :D

• 1 month later...

thank you Cob - I imagine there weren't too many U.K. nib makers nearly seventy years back making bi-metalled nibs - it's an attractive little number, and I'm now happier than before.

So the A8 remains a mystery for the present - it's stamped on the blind cap.

In fact I bought a bottle of Mark Hoover's gunge some weeks back, and had some reasonable results on M.T. black hard rubber pens, though with this one, and in view of the terminal parts being small, I might use w. & d. I've a feeling from past experience that when there's a colour loss like this - I've a pinkish Mentmore with similar colour loss - then there's nothing that will retrieve the original colour - a shame.

Not sure of the reason - possibly these wines/pinks are simply fugitive to light, or maybe just a coincidence and this one was caused by sac outgassing.

I've only just come across this post so apologise for a late reply, but I used to design plastic components and can confirm the phenomenon noticed here that red pigments fade faster than others in sunlight. You can often notice it also in paintings and textiles where red shades are the least stable. Of course, modern pigments are much improved over those used in the 1940s but the reds are still more vulnerable to UV exposure.

"In my early days there were few schools to help us in the pursuit of learning.

If we wanted to climb, we had first to make our own ladders".

Benjamin Brierley (1825-1896),

English weaver and self taught writer/publisher in Lancashire dialect.