How Do You Use And Set Up Your Travellers Notebook?

AJLennon86

Hey all!

I'm going to be making my own traveller notebook, and my own inserts using foutain pen friendly paper like Rhoda. And my plan, for me, is to have a few inserts for different things as follows:

Random journal- Just random thoughts, quotes, how I feel, ect

Medical Journal- note down everytime I get sick, sore, everytime i go to the doctors and what they said, what ever medication I'm on, ect.

Fitness Journal- to note down how far i walked, my weight, ect.

Note pad- for when I need to write down something particular randomly.

How do you, if you use something similar, set up yours??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• majorworks

• silverlifter

• AJLennon86

• migo984

I have various TN-style covers in a range of sizes and materials. Leather, cork & fabric are favourites.

Inserts are all different (350gsm watercolour paper, Tomoegawa paper, vellum, Midori/Traveler’s Company, Bristol smooth, cartridge, Kraft, black/coloured, pastel paper, plain, lined, grid etc). I use inserts as sketching and watercolour books, ink & pen testing pages & inked pens log, inventory of art materials, watercolour paints mixing notes, commonplace journal (currently on #9 in that series), nature observation diary, jottings/random thoughts, daily pages, collage ideas, favourite quotes & poetry, notes on current affairs/worldwide news.....and more)

I find the flexibility & portability of the TN-style system perfectly suits my ever-changing needs & great for on-the-go journalling.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I keep two midori inserts in mine. Used for journaling, photos, sketching, paper ephemera for whatever I feel like, but never lists of anything, no 'to do' or shopping lists. I prefer blank pages and keep a stack of inserts on hand.

I find the flexibility & portability of the TN-style system perfectly suits my ever-changing needs & great for on-the-go journalling.

That's why I want one myself, just seems more practical for my needs.

I keep two midori inserts in mine. Used for journaling, photos, sketching, paper ephemera for whatever I feel like, but never lists of anything, no 'to do' or shopping lists. I prefer blank pages and keep a stack of inserts on hand.

Yeah I am not one to need planners as my life isn't hectic.

Hit youtube for hours and hours of Midori, Faux dori, and Traveler’s clips.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

My Traveler Notebook had usually only 2 refill, one dot grid , and one plain ... I can draw whatever I need on them with my usual EDC of pens with different colours. Generally I've found very little need for specialized refill except for watercolor paper ( for painting ) and super thin trace paper ( for some graphic work )

I use 3 inserts:

1. Weekly + memo insert = where I capture day specific events on the calendar page and todos on the memo page

2. Midori blank insert = stream of consciousness writing/journalling and capture of quotations and book highlights

3. Tomoe River insert = my catch all notebook. Rough notes + collections - master todo list, books to buy, bills list, etc. (inspired by Bullet Journalling)

Sai Korivi

My TN is part of my EDC. I take it to a coffee shop to write some random things during lunch break, whenever I have a light day at work. I take it to all my travels, about 5 or 6 trips per year, some for work, some for family holidays. I have the camel leather of travelers company, the leather is very soft and comfortable to touch.

I keep a 013 insert for random thoughts. A midori grid insert as a notepad. I also have a zipper and cardholder, for my passport and air tickets when I travel. I like the system very much.

I have other notebooks for journals. My TN is only for outside the house.

Mine is mostly for work. Three inserts:

1. Weekly planner: left hand side the days of the week are used for appointments. Right hand side [grid] is divided into five and labelled M-F: and that is each day's to-do list

2. Grid notebook. Notes from the appointments in 1. are captured here and indexed against the appointment entry (eg. Sales Meeting p.33)

3. Blank notebook. Freestyle notes, scrawlings, shaping ideas, etc. More of a dumping ground than for any structured stuff. Does have my Currently Inked, though :)

I also have the kraft insert, with business cards, a pencil board, some post it flags and a blotter in it...

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I was just gifted a regular-size Traveler's Notebook yesterday along with a #19 planner insert. I've ogled these things on and off through the years but never took the plunge. I'll watch this thread with interest.

One thing that wasn't with my goodies was a package of the connector rubber bands for securing a second/third notebook. I'm open to good ideas for alternative methods (or hacks, as the cool kids like to say).

Happiness is an Indian ED!

One thing that wasn't with my goodies was a package of the connector rubber bands for securing a second/third notebook. I'm open to good ideas for alternative methods (or hacks, as the cool kids like to say).

I used the band that wrapped the package for my third notebook. I just threaded it alongside the existing one.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Most Fabric Stores carry rolls of little elastic round string like the Traveller style notebooks use. My suggestion is take your notebook to a fabric/sewing store and show them your elastic string and ask where they have that in store. Local JoAnne''s has Black and brown regularly and often sometimes outrageous bright colors too. I buy my replacement strings there. Easier and less expensive than Official Midori ones.

I used the band that wrapped the package for my third notebook. I just threaded it alongside the existing one.

Most Fabric Stores carry rolls of little elastic round string like the Traveller style notebooks use. My suggestion is take your notebook to a fabric/sewing store and show them your elastic string and ask where they have that in store. Local JoAnne''s has Black and brown regularly and often sometimes outrageous bright colors too. I buy my replacement strings there. Easier and less expensive than Official Midori ones.

Thanks to you both for the advice. I was mindful enough to keep the elastic that held the cardboard container closed, and lo and behold, it works just fine as a connector band.

When necessity arises, I'll look into picking up some bulk elastic like that stuff from a craft store. Truth is my mind had already gone there. My wife will be more than happy to accompany me to Michael's or JoAnn's, where I can get my little bit of elastic and she can get a great big bag 'o stuff.

Happiness is an Indian ED!