• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sofiacapella

• SoulSamurai

• Bo Bo Olson

• praxim

Thank you! Yes, I would also like to try an ink that is water proof some day, since I would like to be able to use a highlighter on it without making a disaster . A few hours ago clean the pen, these days I will try it to see if it is solved, and if not try with another type of ink.

Not many fountain pen inks, I don't even think heart of darkness or anything short of a pigmented ink, will handle a highlighter.

If you do want to use fountain pens with highlighters, use very absorbent paper.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Not many fountain pen inks, I don't even think heart of darkness or anything short of a pigmented ink, will handle a highlighter.

If you do want to use fountain pens with highlighters, use very absorbent paper.

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-waterproof-fountain-pen-inks/pt/829

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-black-fountain-pen-inks/pt/20

The articles above talk about water-proof and highlighter-proof fountain pen inks. I've used Platinum Carbon Black with Copic markers to good effect, but of course that's a pigment ink so probably not great for beginners.

Edited by SoulSamurai

Please note that waterproof does not necessarily mean the words written (or other marks made) in that ink are resistant to blurring or smudging when you run a highlighter over them, because the solvent used in the highlighter's own 'ink' may be other than just water.

Ok thank you for the data!

I've never had the real urge to buy a pen for highlighting. I do know Pelikan made one. One would need a very wide nib...unless one scribbles real real tiny. Then there is the costly highlighter ink.

Regular highlighters are cheap, have different colors, and work well on many inks.

If not then you need an IG or other permanent type of ink. ...I really don't think a fountain pen highlighter nib would be soft enough, to just casually swipe across, a word, phrase or sentence like a felt highlighter. Slow, and if so, then neat. :rolleyes:

I had thought about it.............but rapidly decided it would take more work than for if the same with a felt tipped one.................. :P besides which I already had a hand full of various color felt tipped highlighters as was.........................E90 for a Pelikan 200 special highlighter demonstrator , lots of money for a limited ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

There are two versions of the Platinum Preppy available with a felt-tip: one with a point and one with a chisel. They both take regular ink cartridges, and Platinum has specific marker and highlighter colours, plus Noodlers sells highlighter and "dryerase" marker inks. Platinum also sells replacement felt tips.

I mean, it's not a fountain pen, but it has some of the advantages (not needing to throw the whole thing away when it's empty). Plus you can swap the section into a Plaisir body if you want a metal-body highlighter or marker.

https://www.jetpens.com/Platinum-Preppy-Fluorescent-Highlighter-Pen-Yellow/pd/2688/related

Edited by SoulSamurai

Please note that waterproof does not necessarily mean the words written (or other marks made) in that ink are resistant to blurring or smudging when you run a highlighter over them, because the solvent used in the highlighter's own 'ink' may be other than just water.

Edited by Sofiacapella

Yes, I will use a thicker paper to write, some are very bad and the stroke is very messy, I'm going to try different highlighters, it's not as necessary but I'd also like to know which ones I can use, thank you

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-waterproof-fountain-pen-inks/pt/829

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-black-fountain-pen-inks/pt/20

The articles above talk about water-proof and highlighter-proof fountain pen inks. I've used Platinum Carbon Black with Copic markers to good effect, but of course that's a pigment ink so probably not great for beginners.

Thank you, i check them

I've never had the real urge to buy a pen for highlighting. I do know Pelikan made one. One would need a very wide nib...unless one scribbles real real tiny. Then there is the costly highlighter ink.

Regular highlighters are cheap, have different colors, and work well on many inks.

If not then you need an IG or other permanent type of ink. ...I really don't think a fountain pen highlighter nib would be soft enough, to just casually swipe across, a word, phrase or sentence like a felt highlighter. Slow, and if so, then neat. :rolleyes:

I had thought about it.............but rapidly decided it would take more work than for if the same with a felt tipped one.................. :P besides which I already had a hand full of various color felt tipped highlighters as was.........................E90 for a Pelikan 200 special highlighter demonstrator , lots of money for a limited ink.

I mean a normal highlighter, the plastic ones you buy in the store like the stabilo, I still do not have much experience with fountain pens so I would not try anything very complicated 😆

about the problem of the ink, after washing and cleaning the pen I notice an improvement, now the ink comes out with more flow, and it does not lose intensity, it was something very simple but I had not really thought about it... thank you very much for all that!

Turquoise is a very nice ink, either Lamy or Pelikan. Both are affordable.

If you have 90g and or laser paper, either will give you two toned shading. :thumbup:

Way back in the when, of a decade ago, Lamy was the basis turquoise all other turquoise inks were compared too. I bought some.....nice color but sort of blaaa.........on poor paper.

I went to Ink Reviews.....and back then there were only two reviews of Lamy Turquoise; both shaded :yikes: ....both used 90g paper.

That far back in the When.....Waterman was the Wet ink :o ........back in the day. :) If your pen don't work with Waterman, it's the pen not your ink....a basic law of fountain pens.

Some folks today using some Noodlers or Japanese inks consider Waterman to be a dry ink. :doh:

What was once called South Sea Blue....don't remember the stupid new name, was and is a very nice shading turquoise.

Buy a ream of twice as expensive 90g paper.....just don't ever stick it in your printer, and it will last a year or two. Two toned shading inks are fun.

This is old Lamy ink bottles I have....don't know exactly how old, but both are labeled W. Germany on the boxes.

The new bottle is one of the grand.....must have.....in bottles. Don't have a picture of that. But has a tear off nib leaning pad.

These don't.

eAMqXGY.jpg

There are some ink bottles one should have eventually, Pelikan 4001, Waterman and the MB Shoe.

They are classics and allow you to get all the ink....or most of it.

....Edelstein is very pretty bottle too...not a last drop bottle. :( Topaz is a turquoise, Aquamarine is a sort of turquoise also.

There are very many slightly different turquoise inks, in they are well liked.

But Waterman, Lamy and Pelikan are much more affordable.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.