The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Speedball India Ink Bleeding Like There's No Tomorrow

speedball ink carbon bleeding clairfontaine india ink super black

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lunoxmos

Lunoxmos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:11

Hi all,

So I recently got myself a 2 oz bottle of Speedball Super Black India ink, and when I started using it in my Rhodia Webbie with a dip pen, I noticed that the ink bled quite a lot, which I was not expecting at all. I had thought that Carbon based ink would be some of the most well behaved ink, and that the Rhodia, Clairfontaine-made paper would easily stand up to it, being able to handle other, less-well behaved inks. When I turned the page, I noticed how the ink had bled through it quite visibly.

IMG_2595.JPG

Is this a normal thing that happens with India inks, or am I just just unfortunate enough to have received a faulty batch? If so, what can I do to resolve it?

Edited by Lunoxmos, 09 June 2019 - 07:14.

Sponsored Content

#2 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 16:38

I was curious about your experience so I tried a dip pen with a fine nib on Rhodia (BLOC RHODIA No. 16) except I only had Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay Black India Ink available. There wasn't any bleed through at all.

#3 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:19

My India ink tends to bleed through more than my fountain pen inks even on good paper also

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#4 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:28

fpn_1560583695__img_5156.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#5 Lunoxmos

Lunoxmos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:29

Hmmm...well that's quite interesting. I think I'll keep that in mind when/if I get more carbon or pigment based inks. I recently read up somewhere how Rohrer & Klingner Document Inks were very wet writing, and that the Sailor nano-pigment inks tended to make the nib write a size larger...

#6 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,238 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 16:25

I haven't experienced any spreading with Sailor Sei-Boku.  It's been very well-behaved on all sorts of paper.

Traditional carbon fountain pen inks do seem to have a lot of surfactant, though.  I don't think that used to be true of Pelikan Fount India (e.g. in the 1980s, when I used it a lot), but it sure is now.

Regarding india ink, I used to go through lots of it, but haven't used it much in the last few years.  However, since you started this thread I've tested a couple that I have on hand, Ph. Martin's Black Star and Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph Ultradraw, and they do both bleed significantly through cheap paper, at least.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I regard Donald T. as a monster, both by formal definition, as one grotesquely deviating from the norm, and by etymology, as a bad portent.

#7 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 19:24

I have to ask.    What's "cheap paper" in this context?   I mean, I mostly write on basic blank books (inexpensive) and copy paper.   Some bleed more than others, but all will bleed if you don't pay attention and leave the tip down.   Price doesn't appear to have ANYTHING to do with how it bleeds.    Whether it bleeds through, or the feathering people discuss. 

I have an old journal I picked back up to finish using up (work notes), and the pages are showing acidic yellowing - it wasn't that cheap when I bought it.   It bleeds like crazy with some inks, but other inks it's perfectly well behaved.   Does that mean it's "cheap paper"? 

#8 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,238 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 19:56

In this case "cheap paper" is a page from a CVS Caliber 4" x 6" Scratch Pad, plain white, item # 897447.  It's not touted as anything special, and was very inexpensive.

Edit: I used because it was what was on hand, and not as a specific test of india ink in relation to its particular properties.

Edited by Tweel, 17 June 2019 - 19:58.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I regard Donald T. as a monster, both by formal definition, as one grotesquely deviating from the norm, and by etymology, as a bad portent.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speedball, ink, carbon, bleeding, clairfontaine, india ink, super black

Sponsored Content

|