The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Rohrer & Klingner Dokumentus Schwarz Handwritten Review

rohrer & klingner black archival waterproof

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:34

Thanks for the update!

A discussion about objects, techniques and applications should not be a contest of personal values. Your values mean nothing to me and require naught from me, and I'll gladly assume my values equally mean nothing to you and do not impose on you in any way; my dissenting views do not oppress your personal views, when neither of us can claim to represent the majority position or consensus, or speak on behalf of the community of fountain pen hobbyists worldwide. Let's treat each other with due respect prescribed by some entity bigger than either of us without our input and just offer our sentimental opinions of no particular standing with anyone else, without trying to control the narrative, or demand moral support and/or solidarity from others as consumers and users.

Sponsored Content

#22 txomsy

txomsy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 16:27

Thanks for a nice and informative review.

#23 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:29

I tend to use the Dokumentus line often along with Noodler's.

Last year, I left a Pelikan half filled with Brown and forgot about it for over 5 months. Slip ups are inevitable.

When I did find it, the ink had completely dried out.

Unscrewed the nib and left it overnight in nib cleaning solution.

The barrel I flushed numerous times with soapy water (distilled water+washing liquid) and left the barrel filled with it overnight.

Following morning, rinsed the nib and barrel a few more times (solution of distilled water+5-10% ammonia and then finally with just distilled water) and left them to air dry.

Later in the day, filled it with Diamine and carried on.

No issues from the pen so far.

I did continue to clean the pen thereafter every three weeks, as is my routine.

It could be that the barrel is stained internally, but it has not affected the working of the pen or caused issues with other inks incl. IG inks.

It was filled with R&K Marlene until last week and it has also been filled with Noodler's BSB, earlier in the year, for a month.

YMMV.

Edited by 1nkulus, 27 June 2019 - 12:51.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#24 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:47

Hmm, I just usually soak it in water, or a little soapy water as per your advice if it's a toughie, but I'll try the bleach next if I notice anything screwy about the pen next time I ink it up.  It's not critical, though - that Campus is my bangup pen for problematic inks like Baystate Blue and the like.  I'm actually probably trying to subconsciously kill it so I can justify getting a nicer bang-up pen, haha!

Thank you for the cleaning tips :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#25 1nkulus

1nkulus

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:54

Hmm, I just usually soak it in water, or a little soapy water as per your advice if it's a toughie, but I'll try the bleach next if I notice anything screwy about the pen next time I ink it up.  It's not critical, though - that Campus is my bangup pen for problematic inks like Baystate Blue and the like.  I'm actually probably trying to subconsciously kill it so I can justify getting a nicer bang-up pen, haha!

Thank you for the cleaning tips smile.png

No bleach, it was a typing error. Only use ammonia solution.

OTOH, you can also try white vinegar solution (10% vinegar+distilled water).

Thank you for the review.

Great effort and lovely doodles.  thumbup.gif

Edited by 1nkulus, 27 June 2019 - 13:20.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#26 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 13:46

Hah, bullet dodged!  Ammonia solution it is, thank you, and thank you for the compliments! :-)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#27 1nkulus

1nkulus

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 15:44

Hah, bullet dodged!  Ammonia solution it is, thank you, and thank you for the compliments! :-)

You are welcome.  smile.png  A 'bleach' bullet could be catastrophic.

You can try the black from the SketchINK range. Probably not archival but great water resistance.

https://www.thewriti...view-lotte.html

Engineer :

#28 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:08

No bleach, it was a typing error. Only use ammonia solution.
OTOH, you can also try white vinegar solution (10% vinegar+distilled water).

Thank you for the review.
Great effort and lovely doodles.  thumbup.gif

Vinegar is acidic. Bases clean ink much better than acids

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#29 1nkulus

1nkulus

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:58

Vinegar is acidic. Bases clean ink much better than acids

True, ammonia is a weak base.

IIRC, vinegar would be effective against IG inks (20% vinegar solution).

Engineer :

#30 evan-houseman

evan-houseman

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:11

First off, I'm a fine nib, black waterproof ink kinda guy. De Atramentis Document/Archive, Platinum Carbon, Rohrer & Klingner Sketch, Noodler's Bulletproof...

I wanted to like this ink, but it went from questionable to out-right useless. It cakes up on the nib in an hour or two. First, hard-starts, then no-starts. Have to go to the sink to run it under the faucet, and scrape the residue off the nib with a fingernail.

Finally gave it one last try in a pen I know is wet, and it froze up in an hour.

Emptied, cleaned, refilled with De Atramentis document (writes beautifully)

Maybe in the future I'll add some White Lightning to see if that helps. 'til then, Dokumentis is a fail.

#31 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:19

True, ammonia is a weak base.

IIRC, vinegar would be effective against IG inks (20% vinegar solution).

technically, yes, vinegar will attack iron oxides, but the effects would be so slow that you'd have a vineger stink in that pen forever and potentially damage it from the acetic acid before it did its job.

Mechanical agitation is all that'd be necessary to remove the iron oxide, which can't bond to or really penetrate into resins, and the ammonia would do a better job on the dye component of the IG.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#32 1nkulus

1nkulus

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 21:33

technically, yes, vinegar will attack iron oxides, but the effects would be so slow that you'd have a vineger stink in that pen forever and potentially damage it from the acetic acid before it did its job.

Mechanical agitation is all that'd be necessary to remove the iron oxide, which can't bond to or really penetrate into resins, and the ammonia would do a better job on the dye component of the IG.

thumbup.gif

Engineer :

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rohrer & klingner, black, archival, waterproof

Sponsored Content

|