• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• surprise123

• Honeybadgers

• essayfaire

An absolute majority of the (approximately 200, possibly more) fountain pens in our households are 'permanently' or continuously inked, usually until they dry out, then relatively 'higher-end' or expensive pens get a properly cleaning and put away until next time, whereas cheaper pens -- often each dedicated to a single ink -- just get enough done to them to write again and then get refilled (or sometimes the other way around).

'Permanently' inked pens off the top of my head:

• ten Platinum Plaisir pens for nine different Pilot Iroshizuku inks and Platinum Carbon Black
  • six 'eye-droppered' Platinum Preppy pens hold Rubinato Nero Inchiostro, Blu-Nero Inchiostro and Blu Inchiostro (which are not stated or marketed as either 'fountain pen ink' or 'fountain pen safe'), and Sailor STORIA Lion Light Brown, Magic Purple and Night Blue pigment inks
  • nineteen Wing Sung 3008 piston-fill demonstrators for the nineteen different shimmer inks I have
  • two dozen or so various other cheap (Jinhao X450, Wing Sung 9105, Delike New Moon 3, etc.) and not-as-cheap (Moonman M100, Moonman S1, Delike Alpha, Delike submarine with wooden or acrylic barrels, etc.) Chinese pens are dedicated to particular (and usually matching) ink colours; some do dry out from time to time
  • a Rotring 400 that has always been filled with Noodler's X-Feather for the past several years, and has never dried out on me even though I only use it once in a blue moon, and refilled it maybe twice; it has proven to always be ready to write as soon as it's uncapped
  • a matte black Pilot Capless Vanishing Point that was filled with Sailor kiwaguro pigment ink for four or five years straight (although lately I've been using the pen for different inks with a Stub nib I bought last year
  • a Platinum Izumo akatame that has been filled with Pilot Iroshizuku yama-budo for the past nine or ten months
  • a Pilot Custom Kaede that has only ever held (and still holds) Diamine Cherry Sunburst
  • a Platinum #3776 Century kanazawa-haku Shoryu ('Ascending Dragon') that has only ever held (and still holds) Diamine Red Dragon
  • a Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz that has only ever held (and still holds) Platinum Classic Ink Khaki Black iron-gall ink, but I've only had it for several months
  • a Pelikan M600 Vibrant Orange that is still on its first fill of Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black ink since January
so that makes some sixty-odd pens.

I also have forty or so other pens (Aurora 88 and Optima, Pilot Elite 95s and Capless Vanishing Point, many different Sailor models, Diplomat Aero, Rotring Initial, a Pelikan M815 I hate using and so don't use much, and so on) that are continously inked, but the inks may change. 90% of my fiancée's fleet is continuously inked, but there are a few new pens I gave her that she never inked or got around to using.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hero 616 Doctor with ESSRI. Flushed rarely.

Its been going strong for the past two years, but the sac has hardened and yellowed now. Battle scars that add to its charm.

Although I am now nervous to carry it around: I wouldnt like to have a giant strong iron gall stain anywhere near me.

No, but I often have 17 pens inked..............so some are often inked.

One must of course stay far away from Inky Thoughts and Ink Reviews.....in one sees inks one has (50-60).....I don't have a go to ink.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have,

2 Luxor Express filled with Camlin Royal Blue and Permanent Black for the past 4 years.

LAMY Vista, medium - usually inked with Diamine Blue Velvet

Schneider Smart - black Schneider cartridge

Singularity blue/black marbled with Hero 232 - hmm...can't seem to find that anymore; only half a bottle left - will have to find a replacement soon...

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

I've been in and out of the pen hobby over the past few years and am currently back to using pens on a daily basis. I journal extensively and use fountain pens exclusively for this hobby. Recently I have thought about whether any of my pens "deserve" to be kept permanently inked up. There are several candidates including my two Platinum 3776 pens, a Monteverde Prima (after replacing the nib with a Bock medium that I've become fond of), a Bexley Prometheus that was given to me by my wife, and a Wing Sung 698 with a Plumix nib, and a Nemosine Singularity demonstrator with a 0.8 mm stub nib.

So now the question: Do you have any "permanently" inked pens and if so, what are they?

Pilot VP in turquoise

Sailor 1911 in black or blue/black

Pilot Metropolitan in pink

Jin Hao shark in pink (both because pink is nicer than red)

Just added: Pelikan in a deep blue

The above are all in F or EF nibs; I also keep rotating F/M nibs on at least two pens in brown, deep blue, and sometimes a third in a forest green. These are inked until they run dry, and then I rotate in another for a while. I have not ever had a problem with my pens gumming up, although a few of them can be persnickity about restarting if they have sat too long.

I like different pens/nibs/colors for different tasks :)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Lamy 2000 Medium Aurora Black (Usually)

Sailor 1911 Fine Diamine Blue Velvet

Jinhao X-450 w/Goulet Fine Diamine Oxford Blue

Parker Sonnet Medium Quink Blue Black

Wing Sung 3008 w/Lamy Broad Bay State Blue

I like your list! How does the Lamy compare to the others? I've been loathe to buy another pen with proprietary technology.

Festina lente

An absolute majority of the (approximately 200, possibly more) fountain pens in our households are 'permanently' or continuously inked, usually until they dry out, then relatively 'higher-end' or expensive pens get a properly cleaning and put away until next time, whereas cheaper pens -- often each dedicated to a single ink -- just get enough done to them to write again and then get refilled (or sometimes the other way around).

'Permanently' inked pens off the top of my head:

• ten Platinum Plaisir pens for nine different Pilot Iroshizuku inks and Platinum Carbon Black
  • six 'eye-droppered' Platinum Preppy pens hold Rubinato Nero Inchiostro, Blu-Nero Inchiostro and Blu Inchiostro (which are not stated or marketed as either 'fountain pen ink' or 'fountain pen safe'), and Sailor STORIA Lion Light Brown, Magic Purple and Night Blue pigment inks
  • nineteen Wing Sung 3008 piston-fill demonstrators for the nineteen different shimmer inks I have
  • two dozen or so various other cheap (Jinhao X450, Wing Sung 9105, Delike New Moon 3, etc.) and not-as-cheap (Moonman M100, Moonman S1, Delike Alpha, Delike submarine with wooden or acrylic barrels, etc.) Chinese pens are dedicated to particular (and usually matching) ink colours; some do dry out from time to time
  • a Rotring 400 that has always been filled with Noodler's X-Feather for the past several years, and has never dried out on me even though I only use it once in a blue moon, and refilled it maybe twice; it has proven to always be ready to write as soon as it's uncapped
  • a matte black Pilot Capless Vanishing Point that was filled with Sailor kiwaguro pigment ink for four or five years straight (although lately I've been using the pen for different inks with a Stub nib I bought last year
  • a Platinum Izumo akatame that has been filled with Pilot Iroshizuku yama-budo for the past nine or ten months
  • a Pilot Custom Kaede that has only ever held (and still holds) Diamine Cherry Sunburst
  • a Platinum #3776 Century kanazawa-haku Shoryu ('Ascending Dragon') that has only ever held (and still holds) Diamine Red Dragon
  • a Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz that has only ever held (and still holds) Platinum Classic Ink Khaki Black iron-gall ink, but I've only had it for several months
  • a Pelikan M600 Vibrant Orange that is still on its first fill of Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black ink since January
so that makes some sixty-odd pens.

I also have forty or so other pens (Aurora 88 and Optima, Pilot Elite 95s and Capless Vanishing Point, many different Sailor models, Diplomat Aero, Rotring Initial, a Pelikan M815 I hate using and so don't use much, and so on) that are continously inked, but the inks may change. 90% of my fiancée's fleet is continuously inked, but there are a few new pens I gave her that she never inked or got around to using.

Can I come live at your house?

Festina lente

I feel much better about my plethora of inked pens after seeing A Smug Dill's list :D

Have finally settled down with some favourites now, so I'm planning to have a big clean and put away. The ones I'll keep inked permanently are my:

* Platinum PTL-5000 14k F nib

* Platinum Carbon Desk Pen XF nib

* Platinum KDP-3000a Desk Pen 14k F nib

* 2 other Platinum Desk Pens (DP-1000AN and DP-700AN? I forget) XF nib

* Sheaffer Sagaris silver M nib

* Sheaffer Sagaris black & gold F nib

I've found my sweet spot with inks too of late, so they'll be inked mostly with:

* KWZ (especially IG) inks

* De Atramentis Document Inks

* Monteverde, Sailor and Iroshizuku jewel toned inks

Edited by ScarletWoodland

I feel much better about my plethora of inked pens after seeing A Smug Dill's list :D

I'm glad it's been a contribution to your holistic wellbeing. :D

Can I come live at your house?

Sorry, no. My fiancée already complains about how cluttered and crowded our (concrete shoebox of an) apartment is — with just the two of us, and a couple hundred fountain pens, a couple hundred bottles of ink, ten pairs of sunglasses (yes, I went through 'a phase'), two dozen pairs of running shoes, seventy jackets, and maybe eight hundred pieces of optical media (DVDs, CDs, etc.) and eleven hundred physical books, and that's before her mum prompted her to clean out her room in the family home and move 70kg of books and other stuff over here last weekend.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Only one permanently inked, a PFM II with Aurora Black.

My Lamy 2000 almost makes the cut (with KWZ Iron Gall #3 Blue), but it was out of rotation for All Vintage May. It has now been refilled and is back on the job.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Two pens, one neweer, one older.

The older pen is a Nakaya Piccolo Cigar, unpolished shu -- originally with a ruthenium-plated F nib that I must've worn down a bit from daily use for a few years (much to my horror!) now sports a Platinum 3776 Bounce steel EF nib. This pen wasn't inked continuously over the past, um, eight or nine years (?), but mostly.

The newer pen is a Pilot Custom 823 which I've had for nearly 15 weeks, nearly 10 weeks with the 743's PO nib.

I expect these two pens to be inked forever (as defined by lifespan, the pens' or mine, and not the fairy-tale "forever").

Two other pens that had been "permanently" inked since I acquired them -- Pilot 912 (PO) (about 3 years) and Pilot Falcon/Elabo (SEF) (about 4 years) -- were de-inked (after a tremendous effort on my part, cos those have a couple of my favorite Favorite Nibs) as of June 1 as part of the OPOM Challenge (obv. 2POM Challenge for me; it's the best I can do).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

A Cross Radiance that's been continuously filled with Noodler's Black for something on the order of 15 years now. (It is flushed every great once in a while, but then inked right back up again.)

I have other candidates, but it has the strongest claim to being "permanently inked".

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

One, and one only.

Several years back, I told my wife I was interested in a bottle of Yama-Guri (it was a contender for the Essential Brown Ink), and sent her an amazon link. Somehow, when she landed on the page in question, the default ink was Ku-Jaku, and that's what she bought me for Christmas that year. I was disappointed, as it didn't really fit into the Six Essential Inks.

The year before last, she got all her family to gang up together to purchase for me a Pelikan M205, an Aqua demonstrator with a fine nib and rhodium trim. It is gorgeous, and so very much like my first Pen of a Lifetime, my 90s era M200 Blue Swirl. It took me three or four days to decide what ink to use in it, but I settled on the Ku-Jaku, realizing that they went together really well.

It has been inked from that day to this, and is used to write my various billets-doux to her.

No, wait. I always have a Hero 616 inked for use at work. I can clip it to the outside of the breast pocket of my scrubs, pull it loose to jot down intake or vitals or put a tick on a list, and then recapped, faster than I can pull out and return a retractable ballpoint. And I'll fill it with any old thing, because if it dies, I have two more right behind it, ready for use, as well as willingness to buy another ten-pack, should I ever run out.

Double post. Ugh. Sorry.

Triple post sorry!

Do NOT use arrow keys eta: or the back button!! to edit a post after submission! Use the edit button, while it lasts. Also, don't use the post form to compose your post. Compose them in something like Notepad, and then copy and paste to the post form.

Edited by Arkanabar

Three always inked: Pelikan M600 F, Pilot Custom 823 M, Namiki Falcon M. Close behind is a Sailor Realo M. All 4 are utterly reliable and except the Namiki, hold quite a bit of ink for travel.

I have a few pens that are always inked, but I do tend to change inks.

Work pens: Wing Sung 601 has been constantly in use for 2 years. Usually it has some sort of blue, but right now it has Herbin Lierre Savage. Sheaffer 444 has been loaded with Kiwa-guro for going on 8 months now, so the combo might be permanent (much as I wish otherwise, I always have to have a black pen for work).

EDC pens: my Pilot Elite 95s lives in my planner. Right now it’s got Tsuki-yo. My Kaweco AL Sport lives in the pen loop of my Travelers notebook—currently inked with Diamine Purple Pizzaz. Theoretically I might switch out that Kaweco for one of my others, but I haven’t for over a year so probably not.

Yet another Sarah.

I've added:

Platinum Plaisir - always inked with black.

Jinhao 992 - always inked, but not always with the same ink.

Both have cursive italic nibs.