The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Favourite Type Of Flange?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Klarysek

Klarysek

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 19:30

Hello :-) I started to look for a new oblique holder recently and realised that flange isn't flange isn't flange. So far, I've found three different types of adjustables and two non-adjustables. So it occured to me to do a little personal research on it here. :)

The non-adjustable ones are those plastic ones on for example Speeball and the classic metal ones we can see on most one-type-of-nib holders.
But the reason(s) I created this topic are the adjustable ones. I found these different types: the famoust Hourglass - https://www.paperink...com/hourgl.html, probably even more famous Blackwell - https://lite.cziplee...blique-w-screws and another something on Scribblers - https://www.scribble...blique-holder/. Each of them uses different "mechanism" of holding the nib in place. So, the great question: Have you tried more than one of these types? Are some of them better than others or it doesn't matter?
And which one do you prefer in general? Adjustable or non-adjustable? (This one is motivated by simple observation that most of the obliques are non-adjustable, which I doesn't understand since the advantage of adjustables is quite obvious - you just need one and all nibs you will ever have will fit, so no need for more holders, except for not having to change nibs while working with two at the same time)  :-)
Thanks for your answers :D

Edited by Klarysek, 05 June 2019 - 20:05.

Sponsored Content

#2 juliavdw

juliavdw

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 19:36

Hi there, of course it is going to come down to personal preference. I think the main advantage of Non-adjustable is going to be a lower price point. So long as the angle of the nib is right for how you want to use it, I don't think it matters. To me, the very most important aspect for oblique holders is how it feels in my hand. Shape weight and balance. 

You also might want to think about what kind of nibs you will use. Especially when you are getting into vintage nibs, they won't all fit the same holder. My advice would be to narrow the search down for holders made to accommodate your nibs, and then see what you have.

If you are able to try any out, or at least pick them up in your hand, I think that would help you decide as well.

#3 Klarysek

Klarysek

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 18:32

Hi there, of course it is going to come down to personal preference. I think the main advantage of Non-adjustable is going to be a lower price point. So long as the angle of the nib is right for how you want to use it, I don't think it matters. To me, the very most important aspect for oblique holders is how it feels in my hand. Shape weight and balance. 

You also might want to think about what kind of nibs you will use. Especially when you are getting into vintage nibs, they won't all fit the same holder. My advice would be to narrow the search down for holders made to accommodate your nibs, and then see what you have.

If you are able to try any out, or at least pick them up in your hand, I think that would help you decide as well.

Thanks for your reply and advice, unfortunately, where I'm from, I've never seen oblique in a shop so unfortunately I have to just guess how it could feel in hand. :bawl: Past holders were hit or miss  B)

Edited by Klarysek, 06 June 2019 - 18:33.

Sponsored Content

|