Omas 360 Proto

captain1796

So Id like some input. I found and ordered an Omas 360 piston fill. This is the large size. I bought this pen to use and not abuse, but. not worry about scratching either. So Im looking at it, and its marked 000/360 PROTO. So now based on how expensive these pens are, Im wondering if I should just stash it away. The pen was probably unused before I inked it. Looking forward to your opinions.

post-74437-0-01213900-1559754059.jpeg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alberto

• Aysedasi

• Michael R.

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a series of special editions made around 2015 (I think) of transparent vegetable resin in smoke (yours), red and a light blue. There may be others, but I can't remember. I have a red example.

Over the years, at pen shows and on eBay I've seen a number of these prototypes come up for sale. I have no idea how many were made, but they have no value over and above a normal series pen.

Use it. Love it. It's a wonderful pen.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Cool pen! Depends really on how you see pens. As an investment that should gain you money over time? Or just to write with and love for the years to come?

If you approach it on the first way, then you can look at several things.

First check if it's really a prototype. I see custom engravings (like names) all the time, so it could be that this is a normal pen with this engraving added. But, considering it is unused and uninked this seems like an engraving added in the factory.

Then I'd look into the rarity of this pen and this exact iteration. How rare is it? How many were produced and how many actually sold? Is it rarer because it's a special finish or has a rare nib? -> try to determine the VALUE of the pen

Finally I'd dig up the whole internet to look at references, previous sales of this exact LE, potential buyers, ... for this pen. -> try to determine the ACTUAL PRICE of the pen

Please consider that there is inflation when estimating the price. If the pen costed 500 euros 10 years ago, it costs you 610 euros now at 2% average inflation.

Prices don't necessarily reflect or equal the value. Some pens are undervaluated (value is bigger than the price, there is no demand for it) or some pens are overvaluated (just like arco, people value it more than it should, price rises above the value. Partially since supply is limited).

Compare the guesstimated objective value of the pen with the price of the pen and then see if it's objectively under or overvaluated. Based on this you should keep or sell.

Ofcourse, if for whatever your personal value is bigger than the price keep it.

Edited by RubenDh

It was a series of special editions made around 2015 (I think) of transparent vegetable resin in smoke (yours), red and a light blue. There may be others, but I can't remember. I have one of the red - they're great pens.

Over the years, at pen shows and on eBay I've seen a number of prototypes come up for sale. I have no idea how many were made, but they have no value over and above a normal example.

Use it. Love it.

Yup to all this. There are a fair number of 000 prototypes of most models OMAS made, especially towards the end. I also do not know the number, but it has never been to my knowledge a single piece with 000 like with some productions. Think of these more like salesman's samples or pens to show retailers or at shows.

The pen is from the "Vintage" series where OMAS redeployed the original 360 shape in a number of materials including 3 transparent models. If lightly used the pen should hold value or increase given current tastes, but it's not going to get crazy expensive like the arco 360. Of the 3 colors teal seems the most expensive in the current market, followed by red and the smoke/blue one you have.

Once you inked it the value already dropped from a pure collector perspective. I think careful use would not deteriorate it much further unless you pick up a lot of scratches or the piston is damaged.

Some people may pay more for a prototype, but a knowledgeable collector probably would not.

I say use it a bit and enjoy it.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 2 months later...
From my notes:
2011: Translucent dark blue cotton resin, rose Gold trim and nib (360 FP)
2012: Translucent red cotton resin, Rhodium (Hi-Tech) trim and nib (360 FP, 36 RB)
2012: Translucent turquoise cotton resin with nib and trim in: Rhodium (360 FP, 36 RB) or Rose Gold (36 FP)
2012: DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coated Titanium, Rose Gold trim and nib (60 FP)
2013: Translucent black (Smoke) cotton resin with nib and trim in: Ruthenium (360 FP, 60 RB) or Yellow Gold (360 FP, 60 RB)
2014: Arco celluloid with nib and trim in: Yellow Gold (36 FP, 36 RB), Rose Gold (36 FP) or Rhodium (36 FP)
2014: Wild celluloid with nib and trim in: Rhodium (136 FP, 36 RB), Ruthenium (36 FP) or Rose Gold (36 FP)
FP = Fountain Pen, RB = Roller Ball

OMAS pens marked "Prototypo" or 0/x are fairly common, and probably include dealer/distributor samples and such as well as actual factory prototypes.
Edited by raging.dragon

• 4 weeks later...

So Id like some input. I found and ordered an Omas 360 piston fill. This is the large size. I bought this pen to use and not abuse, but. not worry about scratching either. So Im looking at it, and its marked 000/360 PROTO. So now based on how expensive these pens are, Im wondering if I should just stash it away. The pen was probably unused before I inked it. Looking forward to your opinions.

From the photo, it does not look like your pen has any pattern engraved on it. This leads me to think that it is either one of the dark blue translucent resin pens (most likely), or else a real prototype of the smoke pens without the diamond pattern engraving on it (which would make it quite rare).

For reference, here are all the versions of the 360 which OMAS made with translucent resin:

http://a.lber.to/post/OMAS360_Translucent.jpg

From left to right:

- Smoke rhodium trim

- Blue gold trim

- Smoke gold trim

- Brown gold trim (for ZENITH)

- Turquoise HT trim

- Orange HT trim (for SOLETERRE)

- Red HT trim

- Amber gold trim

- Clear HT trim

Edited by Alberto

That orange is spectacularly unique.

Add one more to the list of cool pens that I like but that I will never find for sale.

What a collection!

Love the orange one. It came with matching ink, didn't it?

Cheers

Michael

Thanks Michael. I actually have pretty much every variant of the 360 which OMAS made. You can see some pictures here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329856-sigh-finally-all-omas-360s/

As to the Soloterre, it did indeed come with matching ink, which is pretty cool! :)

That orange is spectacularly unique.

Add one more to the list of cool pens that I like but that I will never find for sale.

The orange is actually quite a bit brighter and more fluorescent in person than it appears in the photos. It is stunning to hold...

• 2 years later...

I was searching FPN for 'Omas Prototipo' and came across this thread.  I recently purchased a green 360.  I'm actually still fizzing about it as it was described by the seller as a piston filler but when it arrived it turned out to be the cartridge only version.  The seller agreed to take it back but would make no contribution towards shipping which is darned expensive from the UK to the US, so I'll probably either keep it or sell it on.  It's actually gorgeous and was described as NOS (it certainly looks it) and the cap is inscribed 'Omas Italy Prototipo'.  If only it was a full sized piston filler.  I've had one of those as a grail pen ever since I did some work cleaning an ink-clogged 360 for a work colleague many years ago.  Sadly they're out of my price range.  So is there likely to be anything 'special' about this 'Prototipo'?  

IMG_9968.JPG

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 12:27 AM, Aysedasi said:

I was searching FPN for 'Omas Prototipo' and came across this thread.  I recently purchased a green 360.  I'm actually still fizzing about it as it was described by the seller as a piston filler but when it arrived it turned out to be the cartridge only version.  The seller agreed to take it back but would make no contribution towards shipping which is darned expensive from the UK to the US, so I'll probably either keep it or sell it on.  It's actually gorgeous and was described as NOS (it certainly looks it) and the cap is inscribed 'Omas Italy Prototipo'.  If only it was a full sized piston filler.  I've had one of those as a grail pen ever since I did some work cleaning an ink-clogged 360 for a work colleague many years ago.  Sadly they're out of my price range.  So is there likely to be anything 'special' about this 'Prototipo'?  

IMG_9968.JPG

The green colour is incredible. 

• 3 months later...