The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Comparison Taccia Kaku-Tate And Nakaya Decapod?

taccia nakaya decapod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kronion

kronion

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:48

I am thinking about getting a Nakaya Decapod or a Taccia Kaku-Tate, but I am not sure how they compare to each other: Does anyone have a picture with both of them, maybe even together with another pen like a Lamy 2000 or Safari?

As far as I can tell, the Nakaya Decapod is significantly smaller and a bit slimmer, since it is also slightly tapered towards the ends. But does the Taccia Kaku-Tate really look "bulky" in comparison?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sponsored Content

#2 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 13:52

Can you tell which I prefer?

I was attracted by pictures of the Taccias, but when I saw them in person I did find that the taper of the Nakaya provided what I felt was a much more graceful and elegant appearance.  The Taccias are very nicely done and the quality seemed excellent, but I thought the shape was a bit klunky in comparison to Nakaya and at least here in the US the Nakayas are a little less expensive.

d1.jpg

#3 kronion

kronion

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 15:10

Can you tell which I prefer?

I have no idea :lol:  Actually, I have a tendency in this direction as well. However, I am sure that someone in this forum has both pens. 

One argument in favor of Taccia: While Nakaya does not provide the beautiful Ao-tamenuri anymore, Taccia has a blue-black model.

#4 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 16:17

I prefer the Sailor nibs Taccia is now using, but I cannot abide their clips. I prefer the Danitrio and Namiki aesthetics.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#5 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 16:49

It is hard to go wrong with a Nakaya, especially if ordered from Nakaya in Japan. The Taccia is different in many ways. I reviewed an Ao-tamenuri thin stripe in these pages and I've several urushi pens from each company. There is more variability in the Nakaya lineup and a bit more delicacy to the workmanship overall. Anyway, it's more about the differences in design vs. differences in quality. 

The Taccia uses Sailor nibs and cap seal system. Taccia does not lacquer the threads (a design choice) although I've heard of Nakaya pens that also don't have lacquer threads. Taccia urushi artists sign their work and the pens, at least in finish, are limited editions. Taccia come in a wooden box reminiscent of the Paulownia wood boxes used by Nakaya (and almost every other craft item that can fit in a box in Japan). With Nakaya there are many more options for customization from nib to clip to length to finish; Nakaya are true custom pens or are potentially so. Taccia are not although the dealer will swap nibs.

I like both for different reasons. That said, I've faceted pens from Taccia and Danitrio but not yet from Nakaya. I've seen several in person. My good friend has a decapod twist which is super cool. Hard to go wrong with either. 

#6 kronion

kronion

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:31

It is hard to go wrong with a Nakaya, especially if ordered from Nakaya in Japan. The Taccia is different in many ways. I reviewed an Ao-tamenuri thin stripe in these pages and I've several urushi pens from each company. There is more variability in the Nakaya lineup and a bit more delicacy to the workmanship overall. Anyway, it's more about the differences in design vs. differences in quality. 

Thanks for the input, your review was actually one of the reasons for me to consider the Taccia :) 

I am still hoping to see the pens in a direct comparison at some point, but judging from this thread, I guess I will focus my attention on the Decapod, since it seems to be better suited to carry around at the office. Well, now I have to save up money -_- 

#7 Katduffy

Katduffy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 18:51

I dont have a Decapod, but my Decapod Twist is about the same size. The Kaku-Tate is a pretty pen. I got the wide striped because I wanted the urushi clip. The thickest part of the Twist has a larger diameter than the Kaku-Tate. I find the Kaku-tate a pleasure to use, the ebonite is very light on both pens. Either pen would be good as an EDC pen, provided you have a case.

Attached Images

• C2861657-F79D-406A-A79A-69C84D469079.jpeg
  • 0268F4A9-3B3A-43A9-A1A1-A2ECC7C8186C.jpeg
  • 3E6DEB57-9B3B-4AEA-9FED-7931477E275D.jpeg
  • 514ACCCF-13C3-429A-83BB-61AC33A24734.jpeg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taccia, nakaya, decapod

Sponsored Content

|