Noodlers Permanent Black In A Parker 51 ?

Mangrove Jack

I need to use a permanent ink for some of my work and I love using my Parker 51.

I have always used low saturated inks like Iroshizuku or Parker Quink washable - these are non permanent, non archival inks, in my old P51.

Would using Noodlers Permanent Black in a Parker 51 cause any issues or damage to the pen ? I hear this is a highly saturated ink and may cause clogging of the collector or feed in old pens.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Mangrove Jack

• 1nkulus

• Lin_empire

in theory your Parker 51 will work fine..because P51 was made to be used with most corrosive ink never done (Parker 51 ink or Parker Superchrome Ink)...Good luck. :thumbup:

Would using Noodlers Permanent Black in a Parker 51 cause any issues or damage to the pen ? I hear this is a highly saturated ink and may cause clogging of the collector or feed in old pens.

Can't imagine any damage. Usually flows well and easy enough to flush out, if it gives you any problems.

Not sure if I've used that particular one in a P51 .My old beater P51 has had a lot of Noodlers through it - along with many other inks, usually whatever is at hand. I've never had a problem with it, so far. They are very robust pens.

But, in fairness, I should mention that it often gets the hood off and gets a thorough clean out.

One of my favourite inks (I seldom use it, these days) is Diamine Registrar's. This did clog up the collector too quickly to make it viable in a P51 - you'd need to be constantly rinsing it.

Not the pen's fault, it's a very high-maintenance ink, in my experience.

Currently have two P51's inked up: Montblanc Midnight Blue and Pelikan 4001 Black (in the beater)

Both running sweet.

Enjoy.

I would never Noodlers Anything in a pen that I valued.

There's Noodler's and then there's Noodlers. You can't lump all the lines in together. I like some of their inks and dislike others -- same as with any other brand.

I've used Noodler's Purple Heart in my Plum Demi Aero and didn't think twice about it. And that's the pen they will have to pry from my cold dead fingers. Trying to remember offhand what inks I've used in other 51s in the stash.

As for Noodler's Black? Dunno. Don't really like it -- it tends to be smudgy because only the ink actually touching the paper will bond with the cellulose in the paper. I prefer Heart of Darkness, because it dries faster -- but have been a little circumspect about what pens it goes in. But the only Noodler's ink that absolutely gets limited to a single pen is Bay State Blue -- because even *I'm* not OCD enough to trust not having a bad interaction between it and any other ink....

(At the moment, the Midnight Blue Aero has KWZI Chicago Blue LE in it and has been going "WHEEE!" at the gorgeous saturated blue.... :D)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you all. Are all permanent inks highly saturated ? Or, are there some out there that are more delicate than Noodlers on pens ?

Well, if you look at vintage inks, they're definitely less saturated. I use vintage Quink Microfilm Black (which is pretty waterproof) a lot in vintage pens, with no ill-effects. At least the one bottle I'm currently working through is black with blue undertones to it (as opposed to a bottle of vintage Skrip V-black -- which is more grayish) and it is certainly pretty waterproof. How archival or UV resistant it is? Dunno.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a lot of discussion about using Noodlers both pro and con as long as I can remember. There are some very informed folks on both side of the discussion. I can only speak to my own experience which is that I have used Noodlers Black (Bulletproof) as the primary black ink in my personal Parker "51" pens for probably a decade with no issues or problems. I will note that I do flush my pens as a matter of routine every month or so, and I always flush them between changes of brand or color ink. I will also so note that I have very little input on any of the other Noodlers inks, except the Bay Street Blue which in my experience had a severe staining issue for the pen I used it on.

In a nutshell, I love Noodlers Black (Bulletproof) and have had good results and no problems in my Parker "51"s. The reasons I like it so much are in an old post I did from 2012:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/214676-im-often-asked-why-i-like-noodlers-black/

Edited by PenFisher

I won't sugget you use any Noodle's ink in any rubber sac pen, as these ink are highly organic

P51 could be used with Superchrome, I doubt Noodler's is anywhere near that.

OTOH, I have had no issues with Noodler's including using it in MB pens.

Don't let it dry and pen maintenance every 3 weeks.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.