New Penbbs Model?

fudefan

Perhaps the association it costs little = its worth little kicked in, and people didnt comment on it.

Personally, I am grateful for that heads up and waiting onto someone to test ride it before buying.

My 626 was good until it decided to leak air and gush ink everywhere. Changing cartridges didnt work, the converter didnt fit at all from day one (but its okay, I refill carts)

It's a shame that these pens usually have a unstable price point at release and slowly along the line decrease in price.

I assume you have the the one first generation one which is released sometimes last year?

Edited by penzel_washinkton

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• JollyCynic

• taike

• fudefan

Just saw that the barrel of the PenBBS 268 is injection moulded. It's much cheaper than the 456, but more expensive than the Wing Sung. They'll make an interesting comparison.

Decided to try a 352. I had thought about adding the 268 as well, but since I already have 456 I'm not really using, I decided to pass. I just don't need high capacity pens. As it is I have more pens inked then I can use in a month....

I really need to stop checking this damn subforum. Now I have 3 of the new 268 in clear coming, and one of the new C/C designs shaped like the 355 (it is such a comfortable pen) in the cedar wood acrylic

When is the new Wing Sung vac filler coming?

Also, is the 268 injection molded or acrylic? I don't see anything about it being injection molded.

Wouldn't care either way though. For 16 bucks, if they work well, they're going to be the basis for pens housing my custom nibs for people who want to try my flex nibs but don't want to tune them into a pen.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

There was a response from JollyCynic referring the barrel of 268 to be injection molded in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/346959-penbbs-268-new-lower-cost-vacuum-filler/

I know that the 268 is shorter than the 456, hopefully they don't tinker with the cap length since it would limit the #6 nib it could swap with.

I just got my 268 in from PenBBS. It does not reliably stay posted, and especially if the blind cap is not fully screwed down. At first it wouldn't post at all but I'm breaking it in a little. Not sure if that is normal or if I got a bad one. Not sure why they would make a smaller "456" that doesn't post at least as well. Otherwise seems like a nice pen. The part of the cap over the section is clearer than on the 456, which is nice. Not quite a "girthy" as the 456, but otherwise very similar. Overall prefer the 456 but it is at least twice the price.

I think that's the point, a cheaper version of the vacuum filling 456.

Thank goodness posting is not a main concern for me though.

Uhm... So then what is the unique thing about this model?

Is it just an alternative to the 308 but with the modern clip design and flat top / bottom?

Not that I'm ruling out buying them though.

That's how I see it. The 352 is a companion to the 308. Slimmer and flat topped. But the same idea. Capped, uncapped and posted they are about the same size. Roughly the same price point.

Maybe the 352 is going for a more Japanese feel?

GppcRXVh.jpg

The EF nib is very fine and stiff. Took to writing nicely after a little flossing.

9KgluZfh.jpg

Except for too many turns to get the cap off and sometimes wonky threads, no flaws in my view. It's a cool pen. I like the style. My full take here.

Edited by EDC

I just got my 268 in from PenBBS. It does not reliably stay posted, and especially if the blind cap is not fully screwed down. At first it wouldn't post at all but I'm breaking it in a little. Not sure if that is normal or if I got a bad one. Not sure why they would make a smaller "456" that doesn't post at least as well. Otherwise seems like a nice pen. The part of the cap over the section is clearer than on the 456, which is nice. Not quite a "girthy" as the 456, but otherwise very similar. Overall prefer the 456 but it is at least twice the price.

Mine posts very well. With the blind cap backed off also. Jam the cap on and give a tiny twist and it's solid. The cap threads are plastic so there could be there's some variation. Capping my pen is a little stiff. The threads are slightly grabby. Maybe that has something to do with it. I think the compromises in this pen are all about hitting the price point.

I like my 352, but I really dislike how sharp the tiny step-down behind the threads is. I'm going to have to sand that down myself. There's a new converter being used by PenBBS, now, and mine literally leaked out the back on first fill, so I'm not a fan of that. (I have a second of the new converters that I still need to test properly, but ... Well, I'll test it properly and then make up my mind.)

The rounded EF nib came with baby's bottom and hard starts. I've now given it two tuning sessions to remove the BB and get it tuned for my very low writing elevation, and it's a very credible western-style nail EF. If/when they release nib units, I'm going to have to ask what the purchase limit is before being accused of scalping, because I'd like to have a stock of these as a cheap alternative to buying Jowo or Bock replacements.

The 268 arrived with a crack in the section, and the crack has been larger every time I've looked at it I'll be happy to give it a proper test once the section's been replaced (customer service is awesome as always), but I'm not going to be giving them as gifts. Which is fine, because I'm more than happy with the value and quality of the 456.

I like my 352, but I really dislike how sharp the tiny step-down behind the threads is. I'm going to have to sand that down myself. There's a new converter being used by PenBBS, now, and mine literally leaked out the back on first fill, so I'm not a fan of that. (I have a second of the new converters that I still need to test properly, but ... Well, I'll test it properly and then make up my mind.)

The rounded EF nib came with baby's bottom and hard starts. I've now given it two tuning sessions to remove the BB and get it tuned for my very low writing elevation, and it's a very credible western-style nail EF. If/when they release nib units, I'm going to have to ask what the purchase limit is before being accused of scalping, because I'd like to have a stock of these as a cheap alternative to buying Jowo or Bock replacements.

The 268 arrived with a crack in the section, and the crack has been larger every time I've looked at it I'll be happy to give it a proper test once the section's been replaced (customer service is awesome as always), but I'm not going to be giving them as gifts. Which is fine, because I'm more than happy with the value and quality of the 456.

That little step doesn't bug me but I see what you mean. However, I am not too chuffed about the 352 cap cross-threading more than occasionally. Do you see that at all?

So far I've yet to experience a converter fail. Fingers crossed.

That little step doesn't bug me but I see what you mean. However, I am not too chuffed about the 352 cap cross-threading more than occasionally. Do you see that at all?

So far I've yet to experience a converter fail. Fingers crossed.

I had specifically tried to get mine to cross-thread yesterday, and couldn't do it. Then I read your review, and it cross-threads about every fifth time. So I'm blaming you.

The end-cap hasn't cross-threaded yet, though! I need to chemically weld that just so I stop playing with it. I'm going to end up swallowing it.

So about those 352, why would they make the bottom end detachable?

I just don't see any use of that "feature".

Funny, I found mine have a hairline crack at the section too. Should I ask for a replacement?

Also why does the 268 came in a differently designed box than other PenBBS?

Is it because it is actually their earlier models?

... Funny, I found mine have a hairline crack at the section too. Should I ask for a replacement? ...

Yes, as I said, mine was larger every time I looked at it. Get as good a close-up photograph of it as you can to send to Beini. I had to circle the crack because it's so hard to photograph.

The 267 comes in a longer version of the magnet-clasped cardboard box. This is the same basic plastic box as the 350 metal pen uses. The box is just one of the cost-cutting measures meant to keep the 268 as inexpensive as Long can offer a vacuum filler. I wonder how I can convince Long to send me 456 pens in the plastic box. Maybe I can trade in all my magnetic cardboard boxes for a prize somewhere, like box tops. A PenBBS secret decoder ring, maybe!

So about those 352, why would they make the bottom end detachable?

I just don't see any use of that "feature".

[snip]

Choices? The 352 isn't designed to be eye-dropperable like the 308. There's no o-ring. Instead they went for the chrome ring as a bit of extra bling.

Choices? The 352 isn't designed to be eye-dropperable like the 308. There's no o-ring. Instead they went for the chrome ring as a bit of extra bling.

Possible, but making that bottom finial threaded seems like an odd choice for me since it has no purpose whatsoever.

Why not making it a whole unit with the barrel itself? Just a little rambling on my part though.

Yes, as I said, mine was larger every time I looked at it. Get as good a close-up photograph of it as you can to send to Beini. I had to circle the crack because it's so hard to photograph.

The 267 comes in a longer version of the magnet-clasped cardboard box. This is the same basic plastic box as the 350 metal pen uses. The box is just one of the cost-cutting measures meant to keep the 268 as inexpensive as Long can offer a vacuum filler. I wonder how I can convince Long to send me 456 pens in the plastic box. Maybe I can trade in all my magnetic cardboard boxes for a prize somewhere, like box tops. A PenBBS secret decoder ring, maybe!

I just noticed after inking it though, would they be able to help in that condition?

I am kind of split on the box design, it also seems typical with what Moonman are using with their M2.

... I just noticed after inking it though, would they be able to help in that condition?

I am kind of split on the box design, it also seems typical with what Moonman are using with their M2.

Beini gives excellent customer service. I haven't seen a specific policy on the Etsy page, but Long's Taobao shop says something along the lines of contact them within 48 hours of signing for the package, if it hasn't been that long, yet. I'd still contact them even if it has, as it couldn't hurt.

I got my 352 in Niangao acrylic today and like it. Mine has the M nib and it's smooth and working perfect out of the box. The pen is thinner than I expected but it's totally fine. The end of the body unscrewing is a bit strange. If they did it differently where it acts like a blind cap giving access to the converter then it would have been cool. Not that I use that feature on my Leonardo, but at least that is a feature not just a way to make assembly easier at the factory.

I do like the older converter better with the spring inside, but this one has not leaked and works fine.

I just posted a short review of model 352:

https://www.fudefan.com/2019/06/penbbs-352-galaxy/

The way I see it, this is basically PenBBS's Pro Gear or Custom 91. Not in the sense that it's a clone, but that it has a similar role in their lineup.

fpn_1561166208__352-fudefan.jpg

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)