The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Kind Of Duofold Is This?

parker duofold set

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jolltax

Jolltax

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 00:23

Can anyone help me correctly  identify this pen which was given to me by a friend?  I have offered to give him some money for a charity donation in return.

My usual pens are Japanese modern FP's so I am a bit out of my depth, although this one does write rather nicely. The set is in a wooden box with Parker Duofold stamped on the top and is a white-marble resin patterned fountain pen and matching biro. The FP is a cartridge filler (unfortunately and 13.6 cm long including cap, M nib is labelled PARKER 18 750, the black cap has PARKER MADE IN UK in small writing. My guess from conversation was purchased around or before 1990 in the UK but this could be wrong.

20190601_132702.jpg

Maybe a Duofold Centennial or and International? I have googled a bit but struggling to confidently identify it.

Full disclosure, I did post a similar (but not a cut and paste job) question on FPGeeks, hope this is OK, I wrote this one as this forum seems a bit more lively and I have been a member of both for some time... the thread is here

Sorry for the huge pictures but at least you get the detail!

20190525_105138.jpg

Thanks for your help, I do have more pictures if anyone wants to see them.

Jolltax

Edited by Jolltax, 02 June 2019 - 00:24.

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:03

Black and Pearl Parker Centennial Duofold FP and BP. The pen length matches mine exactly. The nib size can be determined by looking at the feed, it will have a circle with a number inside.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 Jolltax

Jolltax

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:34

Thanks for your reply, I guess I would have to remove the nib unit to see that? The only thing I can see on the feed in position is the "M"

fpn_1559442812__20190601_182637.jpg

#4 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:41

Ah the more exotic nibs have numbers. The M would make it a Medium nib.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#5 Jolltax

Jolltax

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 13:59

Fantastic, the only thing I want to do now is give it a better clean as I think it has been crusted up for 25 plus years, from what I have read a good soak and the feed and nib should pull straight out i.e. its a friction fit?

J

Edited by Jolltax, 02 June 2019 - 14:10.

#6 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 14:08

Why do you want to pull anything apart? A good cleaning should do the job. Maybe use 10% Ammonia or a little dish soap. It's a converter pen so cleaning out the section, feed, and nib is easy.

#7 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 14:22

yes, don't try to dismantle the nib, it's unnecessary in a Duofold. Soak it in water and make sure there is no ink dried up inside.

To wash the nib clean, since the surface looks oxidated, take a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda, add washing liquid to it until it becomes a paste, rub it on the nib with an old toothbrush. It should bring back the shine, without using any chemical. Wash it carefully.

#8 Jolltax

Jolltax

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 16:38

OK, great advice, I'll follow those steps exactly. It writes OK once it is going but seems to dry up pretty easily and sometimes is a bit reluctant to start ink-flow so i think its probably just a bit nasty inside.

Thanks so much!

J

#9 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 14:07

Well done! Enjoy your new Centennial! That nib is gonna look great all cleaned up!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, duofold, set

Sponsored Content

|