The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Esterbrook J With A Surprise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dont_Flexme

Dont_Flexme

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 22:12

I finally found my first Esterbrook, a beautiful red J with a fine 9134 nib. It took me a bit before I inked it up (wanted to finish up a pen or two).

When I finally did, I was saddened by the worse nib I'd experienced- scratchy, and it wouldn't lay down a line without a lot of work.

Still I played around with it and finally found and odd sweet spot. I pulled out a loop and, at first thought it was damaged. I looked up the nib and discovered it was an oblique, more listed as an oblique stub. Going back to my paperwork I realized that indeed it said it was a fine oblique and I must have blocked it out.

I'd never used an oblique but decided it was worth figuring it out. After playing and practicing for the past two weeks Ive tamed the beast and love writing with it. The nib has just a touch of line variation to spice up my writing and a wonderful flow (as long as I hold it the right way). It's also interesting seeing the full nib while writing.

In the end I've come to appreciate the new add to my collection and love that I've learned how to use an oblique nib.

Sponsored Content

#2 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 23:15

I think you meant a 9314, and there are three of them: 9314-F, 9314-M, and 9314-B. I have the first two and find them to be two of the most pleasant writing of my Esterbrook nibs. Get the angles correct and I think you will find it adds character to our writing.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#3 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 23:27

I finally found my first Esterbrook, a beautiful red J with a fine 9134 nib. It took me a bit before I inked it up (wanted to finish up a pen or two).

When I finally did, I was saddened by the worse nib I'd experienced- scratchy, and it wouldn't lay down a line without a lot of work.

Still I played around with it and finally found and odd sweet spot. I pulled out a loop and, at first thought it was damaged. I looked up the nib and discovered it was an oblique, more listed as an oblique stub. Going back to my paperwork I realized that indeed it said it was a fine oblique and I must have blocked it out.

I'd never used an oblique but decided it was worth figuring it out. After playing and practicing for the past two weeks Ive tamed the beast and love writing with it. The nib has just a touch of line variation to spice up my writing and a wonderful flow (as long as I hold it the right way). It's also interesting seeing the full nib while writing.

In the end I've come to appreciate the new add to my collection and love that I've learned how to use an oblique nib.

Congratulations on your find. Using a variety of different nib styles can be a lot of fun and quite rewarding. Enjoy the pen and definitely consider testing out other Esterbrook nibs. IMO one of the truly great things about Esterbrooks is the ease of changing nibs.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:12

Congrats on the new pen!   Are you a lefty by any chance?   I have a few of the oblique nibs, and they are a lot of fun, but I found it took a little practice as a lefty.

#5 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:13

Congratulations on your new Estie! They are fun pens to have indeed!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#6 Dont_Flexme

Dont_Flexme

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 13:44

I think you meant a 9314, and there are three of them: 9314-F, 9314-M, and 9314-B. I have the first two and find them to be two of the most pleasant writing of my Esterbrook nibs. Get the angles correct and I think you will find it adds character to our writing.

You are correct,it is a 9314-F, mixed my numbers around. And now I know there are two other sizes, I might need to check them out.

#7 Dont_Flexme

Dont_Flexme

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 13:47

Congrats on the new pen!   Are you a lefty by any chance?   I have a few of the oblique nibs, and they are a lot of fun, but I found it took a little practice as a lefty.

Thank you. I'm not a lefty, but I've had to do a bit of practice to get this nib down- it's like learning a new language.

#8 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 16:52

Obliques are fun once you get the angle figured out!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#9 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 22:24

Yep. For my writing it's 45 deg from the horizontal and about 15 deg from the north/south of the paper.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#10 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:21

I don't understand why you need to practice writing left handed.  The 9314 -F, 9314-M and 9314 -B are left obliques, said to be good for right handers.  The right oblique nibs are supposed to be good for left handed writers.  I am left handed and I have both left oblique and right oblique pens.  I believe what the obliques are good for is use as a stub, for line variation and for people who like to write rotating the pen.  Rotating the pen with an oblique seems to put the stub where a regular stub would be.  Congrats, you thus found the sweet spot.

Edited by pajaro, 02 June 2019 - 01:24.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#11 pitonyak

pitonyak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 19:57

My best friend's mother purchased my friend and I matching MontBlanc FPs. I always had trouble using it, but I knew nothing about fountain pens. Someone I did not know well looked at the pen and said to me "this is meant for a lefty", and I did not have the presence of mind to ask him how he knew. I found out years later that apparently the pens have an Oblique nib. When my friend died unexpectedly, I was given his pen so that the two could stay together. I keep thinking that I should ink the pen to see if I am more able to accommodate the oblique nib. Unfortunately, with the MB, it is not a simple matter to simply replace the nib, which makes me sad for obvious reasons. 

Sponsored Content

|