The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Is A Good Buy Mont Blanc Vintage

mont blanc

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mendesj

Mendesj

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:51

So I have had a Waterman Hemisphere and I have used it for the last 5 years since year 9 (UK) and my GCSEs and now I am in the middle of my A-levels. I dont know if it just me but I feel like there is way to much centennial value in the pen so I dont want to take it to uni and lose it.

I need a new pen I have always wanted a Mont Blanc but as a student didnt have the funds however eBay being amazing has given me hope.
There is a seller whos location is in the US but the pen is coming from Japan and he has a lot of feedback.
I just want to work out if its a good idea to buy it
I have attached photos of the ad

Attached Images

• F2F66ABE-2AE5-48A9-86A6-D2A9AC314C13.jpeg
  • 879F254D-37C9-4AAE-9E7D-A49D797F6ADC.jpeg
  • FA53D5B4-F52E-4D7F-A9FA-7AC324F777EB.jpeg
  • 1C3352AC-AA95-4A5B-B654-02402DD39DFF.jpeg

Edited by Mendesj, 31 May 2019 - 08:04.

Sponsored Content

#2 Doug1426

Doug1426

Bopa

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:11

I have bought from this seller before and been very happy with the quality of his pens.
"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

#3 Mendesj

Mendesj

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:26

Much appreciated Bopa, looks like I will go for it

I will keep you guys updated 

I just realised what I have done but it's kinda funny, you can tell I'm new. I apologise Doug. 

I will learn I assure you 

Edited by Mendesj, 31 May 2019 - 08:32.

#4 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:17

That looks like a lovely nib! Good luck and hope you enjoy it! :)

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#5 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:22

Nibs are nice on the Classic or Generation pens.

Plastic is probe to crack (cap, around the clip).

What is your budget? I‘d recommend a used 146 from the 1980s which can be found around 150 US $ with some luck.

Cheers

Michael

#6 Mendesj

Mendesj

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:33

I'm thinking about spending about £60 on a pen.

I'm not interested in aesthetics. I'm going to use this pen as my daily so as long as it works, I'm fine with it. 

However, if you have any suggestions, I would be interested. You say the nibs are good on these pens, which is the only reason I'm buying a fountain pen to write. I will end up trashing this pen so that why I'm looking for something a little cheaper. I will probably reinvest in a pen when I leave uni and get a desk job or something.

Also, I appreciate all the help in receiving.

#7 Paul80

Paul80

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 14:59

Have a look at the Parker 51

They make an excellent every day writer and will last your lifetime even though it might be 70 odd years old they just go on and on, and if you get on of the English made pens it will probably have the smoothest nib you have ever written with,

#8 Mendesj

Mendesj

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 15:28

Thanks, Paul 

I had a look, and they are fabulous looking pens and having made in England on it I'm sure gives a sense of pride rarely felt by a Brit anymore.

Of course, I'm new to fountain pens so having a Mont Blanc seems to be much more appealing to me. However, I'm sure that will soon wear away, and I will get one of these as eventually, I will probably want some to have different colours. So this is next on the list.

#9 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,960 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 16:32

Looks nice - but I'd expect the price to rocket near the end of the auction. Fingers crossed for you.

Parker 51's (as Paul80 states) are fiercely reliable pens with a great build quality, can last forever - but the nibs are not very exciting (imho). They are within your budget, though.

£60 is a good budget for a pen, but MB prices are somewhat inflated, so you may struggle.

Keep looking and you may find (eg) a decent working Noblesse, or Slimline - or possibly a 342/344 (piston fillers) or 32/34 etc. There's quite a few, if you're in the right place at the right time. Patience will be a key element of your search.

Good luck

Edited by CS388, 31 May 2019 - 16:33.

#10 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 4,289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 00:43

For your money you can easily pick up a vintage Aurora 88, a solidly constructed and reliable hooded-nib pen like the Parker 51 but with an ink window and easily maintained piston filler so much more like the MB, and said to have a nicer nib than the 51 (I am unable to make that comparison myself).

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#11 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:46

For your money you can easily pick up a vintage Aurora 88...

The 88 is a great pen. However, they present a much riskier acquisition for the novice vintage bidder; many on ebay are in an "unreliable" state and would likely result in a suboptimal writing experience.

The Parker 51 is a much safer option for a first time vintage buyer. There are far more reputable sellers lisiting genuinely restored pens (complete with full disassembly galleries) and even if the pen does prove problematic, given it's simpler construction there are far more people qualified to restore it close to OP if OP is not game for the challenge themselves.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#12 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 4,289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:56

Sticking an O-ring in an 88 is a piece of cake. Nothing else is likely to matter.

Edited by praxim, 01 June 2019 - 01:58.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#13 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:44

In that price range you can get some very good and reliable pens, which are likely to last longer than the MB you show (no bias here, I love Montblancs, just that model has a reputation for plastic problems).

I can’t talk about the Aurora 88, since I never had one. But the already mentioned Parker 51 Aerometric is an excellent choice. Later English Duofolds, also the aerometrics, have fantastic nibs and are built to last. My particular choice would be a Pelikan 140, in all likelihood all you’d have to do is to lubricate the piston, and they are also great writers.

Good luck in your choice

#14 Mendesj

Mendesj

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 18:10

So I ended up not getting it. I was up at 3 am looking, and it had got to £42 plus £14. Although still an excellent price I had not done very much research into this, and it would have been for me a bit of an impulse buy which I am always wary of. Also, I didn't know if that was a reasonable price. Which I now get the distinct feeling it may have been.

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. I still want a Mont Blanc. It's a bit of a statement. I am not a snob by any means, but I feel it is more classy then a Parker although to the more experienced I probably sound out of my mind.

So finally to round off any tips. Sellers that tend to have good deals or do I just have to wait on eBay until I find a good deal. Like I have said although I have a passion, I will likely never have more than two fountain pens although I said that about watches and that got a bit out of control. 

Sum this up again because I have gone on a bit. Mont Blac tips?

#15 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 20:26

That seller is worth saving: they are regularly posting good quality vintage MBs.

Unfortunately, word is out on the XX range and you are unlikely to win one without a bit of a fight. A 32 or 34 will likely be the easiest/least expensive option. You could also post a WTB thread here or on one of the other boards and see what it offered.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#16 Paul80

Paul80

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 21:21

Also look into using a sniping service to save sitting up till 3am.

#17 jhsd1124013561

jhsd1124013561

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 18:24

What is the final price? A New Old Stock 221 with 150USD would be a very good price.

Please access my profile to check my sales list:

http://www.fountainp...jhsd1124013561/

Then click on 'Classified'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mont blanc

Sponsored Content

|