Nemosine Is Switching To Direct-Sale Model And Lowering Some Prices

Honeybadgers

The fission has dropped to $24.99 and the Neutrino to $19.99 on their website and I got an email today from them

Our Pricing Is Unparalleled

Over the past year we've made the difficult decision to begin selling exclusively direct, and with this we're able to pass along a retail price point that would normally be a wholesale rate.

Pens with identical components you can find in the Neutrino and Fission sell today for prices ranging from $60 - $200+ ea.

If you've purchased either a Fission or Neutrino pen from us at a higher rate in the past 90 days please email us for a coupon voucher valued at 125% the marginal price difference.

So. Now you have to buy from their website but the prices are dropping too.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• A Smug Dill

• penzel_washinkton

• Spelled78

So RIP Singularity? I see that the Fission and Neutrino both offer the 0.6mm stub, I really like that nib in my Singularity.

I hope the direct sales work well for them. If I want one of their pens it won't dissuade me, but I just worry that they're going to lose mind share.

It still lists the re-entry #6 nibs to be pricier than the ones on the Birmingham Pen Company though

I don't know if they're redesigning or just restocking the pen. It's always seemed like the singularity was their most popular model by far.

Also they need to keep those inks in stock. Their ink may cut into the birmingham ink, but it's such damn good stuff.

And I hope they start to increase their product line of pens. They've done two "new" things in the past year or so, the ink line (nice) and some colored acrylic singularity models that sold crazy fast (I got only one)

They need to start selling some more upmarket stuff in the $50-100 range, IMO.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I think they could do well. Their offering of nib widths at the price range is only matched by few , they have that differentiating factor.

I found their customer service to be horrible, cant imagine how it will be doing it all but maybe it will work out

D-a-r-n, just spent another $20. for that acrylic pen I kept missing on sale! The reason I said "darn" is I already spent $80.00 earlier on a couple of Wancher pens!!!

Oh well, I am sure I can find something I already own to sell....

P.S. Thanks for the heads-up.

I am sorry to see the Singularity go. It was/is a simply nice looking pen. I guess, with so many of the manufacturers creating more entry level pens Nemosine had to think about going direct. Wish them success. And, I agree that they definitely would benefit by have some/more additional upscale pen options

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

It wasn’t clear to me for a while that Nemosine and Birmingham Pen Co. are under the same umbrella. I like the products they’re offering through both. It seems that they’re offering less expensive options through Nemosine, and if you’re looking for something higher end, check out BPC. I just received my first Model A, in the “Jurassic” Amber color. I fitted it with a .06 stub re-entry nib, and I’m really liking it a lot. Currently aside from the Model A, they’re also offering the Sixth Street pen, both are $99-$199. They’ve had several different colors come and go for both, and they’re explain on their site that they’re hand turning everything in-house in very small batches. It’s a family run operation in Pittsburgh, and I happen to be born, raised, and extremely proud to be from the Burgh’. So I just want to support a local business as much as I can. It helps that I’ve been very happy with their products. I’m eyeing the all black Sixth Street, they have listed as the “Vader”, for my next purchase.

I hope the direct sales work well for them. If I want one of their pens it won't dissuade me, but I just worry that they're going to lose mind share.

Never mind losing mind share; if Nemosine has ceased selling any of its pens through retailers, then reducing its regular prices will only make it all the more difficult for prospective customers outside of the US to stomach the shipping charges, irrespective of whether those charges are effectively at cost for Nemosine's delivery service provider(s) of choice.

A minimum of US$22.33 in shipping charges to Australia for a US$25 pen or even just a US$15 nib makes it a no-go for me, but if I'm looking to spend US$225 or more to make a US$22.33 look relatively acceptable (at 10% or less additionally), I certainly won't be opting to buy one lot of nine US$25 pens from Nemosine. Even though Endless Pens (also operating in the US) has raised its free shipping eligibility threshold from US$149 to US$249, at least there is still one, and it'd be a no-brainer to buy pens that are German, Italian or Japanese for that level of spend and feel as if one didn't 'waste' a significant proportion of that spend on postal charges for which the retail customer has nothing material to show.

So, I liked the Singularity pens (so much that I bought seven of them; an eighth one that I wanted, which I ordered on eBay, did not eventuate) and I wish Nemosine well, and in fact I hope it continues to produce and offer fountain pens that are relatively cheap (on their own), and considered to be of good quality in the minds of the fountain pen hobbyist community, while I also expect it to lose market share (as opposed to mind share), as long as they're also considered to be pens that are simply not worth getting for customers at large worldwide. Being an American brand is going to be of no help there, because it does not tacitly convey any prestige or 'romance' (cf. Italian pens), and also is not inherently worth supporting to the vast majority of fountain pen users (i.e. outside the US). US$25 can buy a user some excellent Chinese pens, and the Chinese brands that produce them are at least as prestigious and worth supporting, from the perspective of how their triumph will benefit the hobby and the hobbyist community.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I found their customer service to be horrible, cant imagine how it will be doing it all but maybe it will work out

Really? what happened? I've had great experience with him.

Never mind losing mind share; if Nemosine has ceased selling any of its pens through retailers, then reducing its regular prices will only make it all the more difficult for prospective customers outside of the US to stomach the shipping charges, irrespective of whether those charges are effectively at cost for Nemosine's delivery service provider(s) of choice.

A minimum of US$22.33 in shipping charges to Australia for a US$25 pen or even just a US$15 nib makes it a no-go for me, but if I'm looking to spend US$225 or more to make a US$22.33 look relatively acceptable (at 10% or less additionally), I certainly won't be opting to buy one lot of nine US$25 pens from Nemosine. Even though Endless Pens (also operating in the US) has raised its free shipping eligibility threshold from US$149 to US$249, at least there is still one, and it'd be a no-brainer to buy pens that are German, Italian or Japanese for that level of spend and feel as if one didn't 'waste' a significant proportion of that spend on postal charges for which the retail customer has nothing material to show.

So, I liked the Singularity pens (so much that I bought seven of them; an eighth one that I wanted, which I ordered on eBay, did not eventuate) and I wish Nemosine well, and in fact I hope it continues to produce and offer fountain pens that are relatively cheap (on their own), and considered to be of good quality in the minds of the fountain pen hobbyist community, while I also expect it to lose market share (as opposed to mind share), as long as they're also considered to be pens that are simply not worth getting for customers at large worldwide. Being an American brand is going to be of no help there, because it does not tacitly convey any prestige or 'romance' (cf. Italian pens), and also is not inherently worth supporting to the vast majority of fountain pen users (i.e. outside the US). US$25 can buy a user some excellent Chinese pens, and the Chinese brands that produce them are at least as prestigious and worth supporting, from the perspective of how their triumph will benefit the hobby and the hobbyist community.

No idea, might be worth asking him, but maybe he will continue to use vendors outside of the USA.

No idea, might be worth asking him, but maybe he will continue to use vendors outside of the USA.

There's no point or value to me in asking him, simply because I'm not all that interested.

I'll be perfectly honest. After I wrote my previous post, during which I put something in the shopping cart on Nemosine.com (and left my name, physical delivery address as well as email address, without registering for an account in the aborted checkout process), Nemosine sent me single-use 20%-off discount code in email, and so I used it on the basis of my having enough os the purportedly-discounted items to buy such that the 20%-off voucher effectively took care of the shipping charges. However, as much as I'm happy to let Nemosine take some more of my discretionary/consumer spending budget because I genuinely believe it's a 'fair' exchange, I'm not inclined to publish a (favourable) review of its products ever again (not that I ever did a positive, proper review of the Nemosine Singularity, of which I've since ordered nine more).

Relatively low-priced is not a reason (in my book) to recommend something if they meet (or do better than) some minimum threshold of quality. Being an American brand (and/or presumably made in the US, or at least some of the consumer spending on it will flow back to business entities in the US) is definitely not a reason for me to make any effort or do anything to help its business along.

For the record, I was very happy with the Nemosine Singularity, so much so that I ordered eight more after my first, but since it's not being offered (especially through retailers outside of Nemosine.com itself any more), I will not review or recommend it to anyone as a candidate for prospective purchases. There's nothing worth promoting from my perspective as a fountain pen user (like the majority in our world globally) just because something is tenuously 'American', but I'm happy to direct consumer spending towards it if, outside of 'patriotism' or similar values, it beats Japanese, Italian and Chinese pens for value for money.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email from Nemosine today, advertising that they are offering free US Domestic shipping, as well as International shipping if you spend a minimum of $100. I am pretty sure it’s for today only.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve received good customer service from both. Birmingham Pens let me change the ink color in an order I placed the night before.

I had a very pleasant email exchange with Josh at Nemosine. It was not an issue, just what I missed from the website (the science behind the pen names).

It almost seems to me, given that two brothers are behind each store, that one sells the $99-$149 priced pens (Birmingham) while the other offers more of an entry price point (Nemosine).

I ordered the TWSBI bundles from Birmingham, and when it arrives, I will have all three Nemosine models (Three Singularities, a Neutrino, and soon a Fission). I do really like the Singularity.

Posted Image