The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

First Impressions On My First Hakase

hakase

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 23:37

My Hakase event write-up: http://www.fountainp...t-at-kens-cafe/

Since my initial order, I changed the pen model as well as changing from a postable pen to a non-postable one.

Model: gw15f -> gw15d with long waterdrop clip

--~~--

Initial thoughts:

Heavier than I expected. The pen has a substantial feel to it. Nicely balanced in my hand also.

The threading is well done. The nib facing upwards lines up with the barrel nipple. Interesting choice of cap to body threading: when the clip and nipple line up to cap to pen, the following is made. I suppose it makes sense since the nipple replaces the function of a roll-stopper of the clip. This can be amended to line up the clip and nipple by moving over 90 degrees.

The diameter of the grip section is thicker than I remembered. Wonder if I would prefer the size 10 version instead.

Inner cap inside the cap.

Clip a bit shorter than I imagined considering how large the cap is.

The pen was shipped with the converter inside, and filled with water. Not sure why this was done. No water found in the cap surprisingly.

The hammered gold is subtle in a good way. Very pleasant to look at.

Nice writer. Quite similar to how I remembered the MF tester pen.

--~~--

Album: https://imgur.com/a/8L7JwFg

Writing on the box is Fountain Pen Hakase. Red seal being Ryo's signature stamp.

Comparison pen is a Sailor pro gear slim mini.

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:55

Nice looking pen. I hope you enjoy it.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#3 ridiculopathy

ridiculopathy

Modern

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 15:48

I like the look of the hammered gold as well!

#4 farazqamar

farazqamar

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 16:25

nice pen!

#5 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:06

Thanks for the comments all.

Some more thoughts:

I'm not sure what the name is, if there is one, of the part of the clip that goes around the cap. That part also features a hammered finish. I didn't notice it until today. I will take a picture of it tomorrow to show what I mean.

I'm not entirely familiar with much wood. The ebony does have a slight sour smell to it if you closely take a sniff at it - especially inside the cap. This corresponds to what I've look at online. Not bothersome to me but worth noting for people interested in an ebony Hakase.

Capping off the pen is about 2 turns. Good for quick notes if necessary. Reminds me a Ohasido I've owned that took 4.5 turns. What a nightmare that was.

#6 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 17:38

Gorgeous pen. Enjoy it in good health.
Too many pens; too little writing.

#7 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 18:00

Thanks mongrelnomad. Your Hakase review was one of many motivating forces behind getting a Hakase.

--~~--

https://imgur.com/a/Pzc7Zms I took some pictures of the hammer clip ring as well as the dating on the barrel. I also attached a picture of what my writing style is as seen by Ryo when I met him at Ken's Cafe.

Edited by 25_15_3, 29 May 2019 - 18:01.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hakase

Sponsored Content

|