The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Small Sherlock Pen Mystery

identification souvenir

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oraxia

oraxia

Inkling

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:17

So, what is this pen?  :huh:

I was recently in London for the first time and doing the tourist thing with my husband when we swung by the 221B Baker Street Sherlock Holmes Museum. Unfortunately, I hadn't anticipated high demand on a Tuesday (?!) and we realized we most likely wouldn't make it to our next appointment if we waited for entry through the (50+) long line and took a quick consolation lap around the gift shop. The pen caught my eye (the idea of Sherlock Holmes handing out branded pens to his clients gave me a chuckle, at least) and on uncapping it I noticed it was a fountain pen--bonus! It came in either shiny black with gold accents or a matte gold tone (also with metallic gold accents), and I took the black. Sure, it's probably a cheaply made souvenir at £10 with an undoubtedly heavy profit margin, but it amuses me and that alone is worth the cost.

fpn_1558942114__sherlock_pensleeve_crop.

Of course now that I have it home, I am kind of curious about who made it (partly in case I want to get a different nib or a converter for it, because it might be nice to have something that amuses me as a purse pen). Google hasn't been the most helpful, as there are apparently plenty of real fountain pens made in honor of the famed literary character, and the museum shop page appears to either be down or was never finished, so that was a dead end on info, too. (I've sent an email in case the shop knows, but haven't heard back yet.) Trying to search for promotional items which could be the base for the item then branded up with the museum logo hasn't turned anything up that looks right and matches the price range, either.

I also just... don't really know where to look on the pen, or for what. There's no marks on the nib, and the feed bears a '3' in a circle on the back (may be a red herring). The inside of everything, including the silver colored grip part, is brass and it feels like the black is just painted onto a brass body. The ink cartridge is blue, as far as I can tell without having punctured it yet, and having no experience yet with cartridges outside of an ancient Sheaffer Calligraphy Set, I have no idea if that's a normal sized one or not (it seems long).

fpn_1558942319__sherlock_disassembled_cr

Once I am over the cold that followed my husband and I back from the UK, I hope to try popping in the ink cartridge it came with and seeing how it writes and maybe swinging by my local Pen Posse (who may no longer remember/recognize me, thanks to work insanity stretching from December up until this vacation...) to see if they can/want to aid in the sleuthing, but until I am unchained from the Kleenex box I'll ask here where there's no risk of infecting anyone else  :P I'm apparently a lousy detective, but I also studied under a Professor Moriarty in college, so maybe my talents will be more inline with causing mischief if I apply myself  :lol:

fpn_1558942549__sherlock_nib_crop.jpg

I apologize that the photos probably aren't very good; I'm no photographer, either  :blush: Any help identifying a maker or any other nib/converter/etc. info is appreciated, but this is really just about satisfying curiosity and bears no urgency  :)

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

Sponsored Content

#2 cherylmarie

cherylmarie

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:44

I don't know the maker, but I have two pens with the same nib/feed combination.  Both were inexpensive souvenirs from Europe.  One is a Pelikan Jazz Excellence (iirc from Austria) and the other is an Inoxcrom from Spain.  The little circles on the feeds of mine have the numbers 1 and 4. 

This leads me to believe that this is a very common unit for inexpensive pens, hope you are able to find the manufacturer. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identification, souvenir

Sponsored Content

|